Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: flannel backing for quilt

Blog Entries

flannel backing for quilt

Hi: I would like to try flannel backing on a quilt without putting batting in between has anyone been able to do it successfully without problems when doing the quilting? Also wonder about the minky if that can be done the same way but is that a real challenge to quilt the normal way? Just curious if it is hard to do successfully

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Minky is a little stretchy, but flannel will work with no problems. Be sure to wash 2-3 times and dry on high; flannel is notorious for ahrinking. It will make a “summer quilt” that is lighter weight and cooler. If you want a lightweight but warm quilt, you could do the same thing with fleece.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    I've done quilts with jsut the top and a flannel backing. That was back when I tied quilts. Never had a problem and can't imagine why you would have one unless you don't shrink your flannel as Krisb says. I also used a good quality
    t-shirt knit for backing baby quilts. Worked great. Again, that was in my "tie it off" days.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

What kind of flannel do you use that doesn't pill?
    All my grand-children have paws.

I made my son one quilt with flannel awhile back and now that's all he wants! I'm not a prewasher at all but if I'm backing with flannel I wash it first to let it shrink.

Blog Entries
    I have used flannel backing on many, many quilts. It is great for kid's throws or to take to games. It is light enough, yet warm enough and very easy to launder. Before they came out with the wide flannel, I bought flannel sheets and used them. Depending on the sheet and the intended use, sometimes I doubled it and still had no problem quilting it. I never use minky or soft and comfy, I have so much trouble with it slipping and sliding around.

Blog Entries

flannel backing

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    Minky is a little stretchy, but flannel will work with no problems. Be sure to wash 2-3 times and dry on high; flannel is notorious for ahrinking. It will make a “summer quilt” that is lighter weight and cooler. If you want a lightweight but warm quilt, you could do the same thing with fleece.
    Thank you I know about the washing was concerned about the quilting if it will slide and live the back bunched up in places.

Quote Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
    What kind of flannel do you use that doesn't pill?
    See this thread for some discussion of flannel brands. It's about the softest brands of flannel, not specifically about pilling, but the same brands are going to be better about pilling.