Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
flannel backing for quilt >

flannel backing for quilt

flannel backing for quilt

Old 08-31-2018, 01:14 PM

Default flannel backing for quilt

Hi: I would like to try flannel backing on a quilt without putting batting in between has anyone been able to do it successfully without problems when doing the quilting? Also wonder about the minky if that can be done the same way but is that a real challenge to quilt the normal way? Just curious if it is hard to do successfully
Old 08-31-2018, 02:35 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Minky is a little stretchy, but flannel will work with no problems. Be sure to wash 2-3 times and dry on high; flannel is notorious for ahrinking. It will make a “summer quilt” that is lighter weight and cooler. If you want a lightweight but warm quilt, you could do the same thing with fleece.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:50 PM

I've done quilts with jsut the top and a flannel backing. That was back when I tied quilts. Never had a problem and can't imagine why you would have one unless you don't shrink your flannel as Krisb says. I also used a good quality
t-shirt knit for backing baby quilts. Worked great. Again, that was in my "tie it off" days.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:32 AM

What kind of flannel do you use that doesn't pill?
Old 09-02-2018, 05:36 AM

I made my son one quilt with flannel awhile back and now that's all he wants! I'm not a prewasher at all but if I'm backing with flannel I wash it first to let it shrink.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:55 AM

I have used flannel backing on many, many quilts. It is great for kid's throws or to take to games. It is light enough, yet warm enough and very easy to launder. Before they came out with the wide flannel, I bought flannel sheets and used them. Depending on the sheet and the intended use, sometimes I doubled it and still had no problem quilting it. I never use minky or soft and comfy, I have so much trouble with it slipping and sliding around.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:18 AM

Default flannel backing

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Minky is a little stretchy, but flannel will work with no problems. Be sure to wash 2-3 times and dry on high; flannel is notorious for ahrinking. It will make a “summer quilt” that is lighter weight and cooler. If you want a lightweight but warm quilt, you could do the same thing with fleece.
Thank you I know about the washing was concerned about the quilting if it will slide and live the back bunched up in places.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
What kind of flannel do you use that doesn't pill?
See this thread for some discussion of flannel brands. It's about the softest brands of flannel, not specifically about pilling, but the same brands are going to be better about pilling.