Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel fabrics... what do YOU use them for? >

Flannel fabrics... what do YOU use them for?

Flannel fabrics... what do YOU use them for?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Quilts?

Pajamas?

Or ... do you prefer not use flannels at all?

What about brushed cottons (such as Moda offers)?
I use 2 layers for making rag quilts. They wash up so nice and cuddly. I have several for the living room and bedrooms.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:33 AM

I use them for all my rag quilts and every quilt I make gets backed in flannel.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 AM

There are different qualities of most fabrics. The lesser grades of flannels will be thinner, the print might not be even or printed crooked. Some fleece will pill after the first time thru the wash. Others not at all ever. I have at least 2 brands of solid black quilting fabric in my stash right now and they are both different when you compare them next to each other. One is much thinner and almost see thru vs the other one. Just look carefully at what you are buying before you get it. Personally, I've only used flannel to make PJ pants.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 AM

I've used flannel to make pillowcases, baby doll quilts, baby quilts (fronts & backs or just backs), and large quilts (fronts & backs)- oh, and little flannel beach balls for my grandchildren. There for sure is a difference in quality - the same as for regular cotton fabrics - so be sure to go for quality verses price with flannel!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 AM

My first quilts were made from flannel squares, backed with prequilted fabric and tied.. All of the babires and Moms loved them. I made them to be used and big enough to go to kindergarten for naps. One gal in college, admitted that hers was still used on her bed just under her bedspread. My sister's daughter's blanket was so worn, her Mom cut a small piece from the blanket to keep. THis piece was under her garter for something old when she married. I was honored. Sheesh
Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 AM

I made a baby's rag edge quilt out of pastel flannel scraps and sewed hearts in the middle to sandwich the pieces. The result was one of my best scrap quilts.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Quilts?

Pajamas?

Or ... do you prefer not use flannels at all?

What about brushed cottons (such as Moda offers)?
Flannel has a lot of uses--evidence all the responses here! The thing is you need to watch the weave as it does tend to shrink. I think the worst one I ever had was quilters flannel. Just wash and dry before you use any of it. One of our quilt guild members made an absolutely gorgeous quilt from flannels that look like wool. She got the fabric at her LQS intending it for her adult grandson. She intends to back it with flannel and omit a batt.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Banned

I have made flannel quilts...my family loves them....especially with minky on the back of them! I also made PJ's with them for my daughter...and I use flannel for backings on scrap quilts. The brushed cottons that moda offers in some of their collections...I just incorporate within my quilt if I like the color.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 AM

I love flannel quilts, with flannel on the front and back! One year I made 7. I always use my even feed foot while sewing, tho, because even the best flannel will stretch a little.
YTQ
Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 AM

I use flannel all the time but never buy it from JoAnns. You have to buy good quality flannel at a quilt shop or on line. The woolies (sp) are nice and most quilt shops here in Minnesota have great flannels. Always use quality flannel and you will never have a problem. I have made rag quilts, patterned quilts, and used it for backing also.