Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel Not Suitable For Children's Sleepware.  Quilts? >

Flannel Not Suitable For Children's Sleepware. Quilts?

Flannel Not Suitable For Children's Sleepware. Quilts?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 AM

the only reason this label is on flannel sleepwear is because long ago before central heat and air children would stand too close to space heaters and catch fire. this happened many times which led to the labeling and outlaw against using flammable materials for sleepwear. since most people do not use portable heaters which can catch anything on fire it is safe to use these in quilts. i remember many children when i was growing up suffering burns from material that wasnt flame retardant.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 PM

I would not want chemicals added to childrens sleepwear anymore than I would to any of our bedding. I use it for sleepwear and quilts...it is 100% cotton. I also use quilting cottons for sleepwear.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 PM

The flame retardant chemical has caused cancer; that's why it is not used in the kiddie flannel. Why is life so difficult?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:28 PM

The warning on fabric mostly has to do with burning, and what toxins are given off when the fabric is ignited. Parents think there is such thing as flame retardent treated fabrics. And will only buy treated ngihtwear. I can't but stress that you must make your own decision on what type of material you want to use.
The warnings were put there because people assumed that fannel was flame retardent. It has never been. People sued the manufactures and now they must put those warnings for anyone who didn't know that cotton burns.
There must be classes somewhere where people can learn how the fabric they use reacts to flames, and what toxins are released during burning. Of course I learned years ago [1950's-1970's] in sewing and chemistry classes. Back then the schools thought females who would of course be homemakers needed to think of family safty.
Check out the internet and see if they have the information on fabric and fire. If you can get instruction on building a bomb you should be able to get some information.
note. when those plastic dolls people give their children, and stuffed animals they allow children to sleep with catch fire not only will they melt all over the place but they give off deadly fumes. See any warning on them? I don't know I don't give them as gifts.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:50 PM

I know this beating a dead horse, but same famibility warning should be considered when you buy batting for quilts. I read in a keepsake catalogue that there is an eco batting made from plastic bottles. I said that can't be safe. I'm one to weigh all the angles and use , and finnaly discovered there is no such thing as safe just less dangerous.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:13 PM

I believe this is meant to protect children when they are wearing the flannel if it should catch on fire. That (I don't think) doesn't apply to quilt flannel because it will not be next to their skin and can be easily removed. Not scientific fact but my opinion.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 PM

This has always been my understanding of it also. I remember when it all came into effect. that is why it says sleepware; quilts are not sleep ware.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:16 PM

You can use it for children's sleepwear, but you can't sell it because of how the law reads. Just make sure that you use a pattern that is close fitting. None of these baggy things is appropriate because that is what catches fire.

Fire retardant chemicals wash out of clothing, even when washed according to manufacturer's directions, after as few as 4 washings. So, pretty pointless. What DID change and reduced serious burns was the change in jammie design. In recent years, the switch to wearing baggy t-shirts to bed have increased the number of children with burns. So, worry less about the fabric and more about the design of the garment.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM

Thank You! I always wanted to ask somebody but didn't. I am so glad you did.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:20 PM

If you are really really concerned about he flamability, there is a solution you can use ....but what control do we have once a charity quilt is given....