Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel Not Suitable For Children's Sleepware.  Quilts? >

Flannel Not Suitable For Children's Sleepware. Quilts?

Flannel Not Suitable For Children's Sleepware. Quilts?

Old 06-12-2011, 03:45 PM

I think this is one of those CYA things. After all children are not flame retardant, either.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:00 AM

ShirlR.....Thank you so much for the question on Flannel.I too wanted to make flannel blankets for preenies in hospitals, but there are very strict rules on how they want them made. Now I know what to do.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 AM

ShirlR.....Thank yoiu so much for the question on Flannel.I too wanted to make flannel blankets for preemies in hospitals, but there are very strict rules on how they want them made. Now I know what to do.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 AM

I would contact the hospital directly. Different hospitals have different rules. Ask ten Dr.'s a question, you'll get eleven different answers. ;)

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
ShirlR.....Thank yoiu so much for the question on Flannel.I too wanted to make flannel blankets for preemies in hospitals, but there are very strict rules on how they want them made. Now I know what to do.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gomeyer
and... according to the Neo-natal unit at the hospital where we donate quilts.. flannel gives off tiny fibers that the baby can inhale... YIKES. sue
That's odd. The blankets that were used on my DD were definately flannel (she was there for breathing issues). all the blankets I've ever seen in hospitals have been flannel.

As far as sleepware, I used the regular flannel for my kids. The flame-retardent sleepware fabric at the time had more of a polyester-type knit on the back. Was not very nice, don't really know how to describe it.
As someone else mentioned, when the kids put their pjs on, they went to bed. They were expected to get dressed before coming downstairs in the morning. we also didn't have candles or other open flames/heaters around.

you still here about accidents like those mentioned happening around here in the Amish communities due to the use of kerosene lamps and heaters.