Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel - to use or not to use??? >

Flannel - to use or not to use???

Flannel - to use or not to use???

Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM

I use it to back quilts often. I love it - so soft and cozy.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM

I have never found my flannel backed quilts to get anything but softer with washing...I have flannel pj pants that have lasted me 10 years and are still in near perfect shape, save for fading. They see much more abuse than any blanket or quilt I've used.

It IS lintier though, and I do have to clean my machine often while using it. Totally worth it, to me.

Originally Posted by thequiltmama
See that is what I had heard before, so that is also why I have avoided it to. :-)
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Well another opinion. I do not like working with flannel. It causes a lot of lint in my machine, wears much faster then normal good quilter's quality cotton and after 5 or so washes feels hard and has little balls on it. I make an effort to buy Marcus Brothers flannel or other good flannel. Only some solids and checks was up nice and soft over time most others seem to get rough.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 PM

I have used it to back quilts and I really like it, especially for baby quilts. I have always used inexpensive flannel (the kind that sells for something like $3 or $4 a yard at Jo-Anns) and it has held up fine. My daughter's favorite baby quilt has been washed probably a hundred times and it's back with flannel and tied! LOL* It's worn but still loved.

I have also used flannel in place of batting - I don't remember where I heard you could do that but I experimented with it. I wasn't crazy about how it quilted, it didn't have enough loft for my taste so I'll probably just stick to using it for backing from now on.