Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fleece backing in florida >

fleece backing in florida

fleece backing in florida

Old 10-03-2011, 05:58 AM

I found a beautiful fleece remnant for baby,can I use this as backing with no batting for baby quilt?I live in south florida and am afraid it might be to warm. Thanks Jean
Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 AM

I have used fleece before on a baby quilt backing. The directions called for putting a iron on interfacing on the fleece. It will stretch out of shape if you don't use it. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:27 AM

I have done it a few times. The fleece is a little stretchy so you have to be careful if you try to actually quilt it. I quilted one and tied the other. Even if it is too warm to wrap or cover the baby in it; they can still use it as a play mat on the floor. My most recent baby quilt was made just with that purpose in mind. It is denim & flannel--denim for the floor and flannel for the baby side. Her parents are slobs and I wanted a heavy duty baby quilt--LOL.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by 3plus2granny
I have used fleece before on a baby quilt backing. The directions called for putting a iron on interfacing on the fleece. It will stretch out of shape if you don't use it. Good luck.
this puzzles me somewhat. I have several clothing items made of fleece, jackets, ponchos etc., I have never noticed stretching being a problem with those. I also used fleece as a backing on a lap quilt with no batting. It didn't stretch either, but I had quilted it in approx. 6 inch squares. My grandchildren have purchased throws that do seem to have a lot of stretch( sort of "minkie-like"). As there are any weights and types of fleece available, I think you would have to judge them separately.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 AM

It seems like it only stretches one direction. The quilt that I machine quilted did just fine until I was making the last X on it and it pulled a little. I don't know if I tugged on the quilt or had the tension too high on the pressure foot. The tied one didn't have any issues at all. And I just remembered a 3rd one I made that was machine quilted--it did not have the stretch issue either--I did stitch in a ditch on it--not X's so it may have had something to do with the diagonals.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I know that central and northern Florida got downright chilly the past two winters.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I know that central and northern Florida got downright chilly the past two winters.
Oh Yeah!!! It was cold for a solid 3 months last winter. My heating bills are proof and I keep my heat at 68. It was awful.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 AM

I've made a ton of quilts using fleece on the backing. I never use batting and I live in the cold area. I've never had a single problem with stretching and I use a longarm machine to do the quilting. Go for it ... you'll love it and so will baby. OR you could also use minkee.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clem55
Originally Posted by 3plus2granny
this puzzles me somewhat. I have several clothing items made of fleece, jackets, ponchos etc., I have never noticed stretching being a problem with those. I also used fleece as a backing on a lap quilt with no batting. It didn't stretch either, but I had quilted it in approx. 6 inch squares. My grandchildren have purchased throws that do seem to have a lot of stretch( sort of "minkie-like"). As there are any weights and types of fleece available, I think you would have to judge them separately.
Good points
Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Thanks for all of your input,I think I will just go with regular backing and batting.I will finish edges of fleece and give it to kids in distress along with some other quilts.Thanks Jean