Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Fleece for backing?

Help!!! this is probably a silly question, but I have been told there are no silly questions..I want to make fleece quilts for my grandkids, fleece panels..will it be tricky to bind the two panels together? I don't want to tie around the edges, as the panels are not very big and I want to make it as large as I can.Is it possible to add fleece to the side and ends of the panel to make it bigger or will it pucker..As you can tell I am new to fleece, but my grandkids love the feel.thanks so much for any input you can send.

I have made several cotton top quilts with fleece backing, no batting, the fleece is warm enough. I quilt them and use cotton binding. They are warm without the weight.

I do not put backing with fleece.

I probably would never use fleece as a backing unless I had a longarm. Otherwise I could see it shifting, stretching and making a mess. I do great with cotton and flannel quilts. No need to re-invent the wheel at my house!

Is that cotton on top and flannel on the back? Or flannel in the middle?

If the question is directed to me...I don't mix cotton with flannels. I make all flannel quilts or all cotton quilts. I've not seen a need to mix them. Of course, I live in CA where our weather is very mild.

Oh, I see. We live in the Northeast where the temps can go into the minus 20 range quickly so flannel and fleece is what we use.

I was going to use fleece as batting and then a cotton back. Will that work?

Quote Originally Posted by pam7858
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMoe4487
    When you back a quilt with fleece do you put batting in the middle or just do the fleece?
    I do lots of t shirt quilts with fleece backing. I just use flannel in between. Adds some body but not a lot of weight. Washes just fine with t shirts ancotton fabric in front, a layer of flannel, and then fleece backing.
    :lol: You answered my question for me; would this work for a T-shirt quilt? Thank you! Now I can charge forth full steam ahead without fretting so much! :lol: :-P

I've been wondering about all this too. I've wanted to just use the fleece as batting. I'm not happy with what I have been using. Now I will have the courage to try it.

Blog Entries
    do you recommend that if i am going to use flannel on the back with a cotton top that it should be tied?

Blog Entries
    do you recommend that if i am going to use flannel on the back with a cotton top that it should be tied?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMoe4487
    When you back a quilt with fleece do you put batting in the middle or just do the fleece?
    Both!

I've done both ways.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Thanks for the great idea, I did not know you could use fleece for the backing. Northern California is COLD this winter and that is an awesome idea to keep warm without turning on the heater.

Blog Entries
    Hi

I have used fleece on a number of Charity quilts, I quilt them on my frame. I put the fleece with the most stretch going accross the frame, when I roll it onto the take up bars I handle it very gently, I dont over quilt, but I must say what ever quilting you do it sinks into the fleece and looks lovely. for children and the elderly they are very cuddly

I also like that flannel backings keep quilts from slipping off laps, beds, etc.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

I got a chance to see and hold a quilt with a flannel front and fleece backing. I was very pleased with the weight, since I am looking for warm and lightweight for a lap robe for a very frail lady. The fleece is going to fill the bill very well.
    The sample I was looking at had been quilted on a frame with loops and hearts and draped nicely, which is always desirable if one wants a quilt to be cuddly.
    I was impressed enough with the end results that I will be donating a bolt of fleece to our Project Linus group ... though I did warn them that fleece is not good for critical care recipients.
    The micro fleeces and fleece in general, apparently, are too conducive to becoming habitat for dust mites and other little things that make healing very difficult. (just an FYI from our liver transplant unit)

Blog Entries
    I was checking out fleece fabric at some on-line stores. They all say to wash fleece in cold water and dry on delicate...

Hmmm! I was thinking about making a chemo quilt with a fleece backing. But I would think that you would need to wash it in HOT water and dry it on HOT.

Has anyone had a problem with washing fleece backed quilts in hot water?

I just made my hubby a nappy quilt (throw). He doesn't like them too warm as he runs a bit hot. I didn't use any batting between it and I used the fleece backing with a cotton top. HE loves it! I didn't make a seperate binding. I just pulled the fleece backing to the front and machine stitched. It was easy squeezy and I still mitered the corners. Will do this again!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3