Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fleece for backing?

I've used an old fleece throw as batting with a regular cotton back. It is super warm. I don't think I'd use batting if I were backing in fleece, it would be too heavy/hot...even with our Canadian winters! lol

Quote Originally Posted by quilterella
    My DGD is in the middle of her first quilt (age 15), and she always complains she is cold, so I thought about backing her quilt with fleece. It will be a generous double sized when finished. My question is, do you prewash the fleece, the top is 100% cotton not prewashed, and can you use fleece on something that big?
    My sons had also requested fleece for warmth, I used it on their star quilts that I made them in queen size. I used 80/20 batting and yes it is heavy and warm (but that is what my boys wanted). Fleece I did not prewash, since it does not shrink.
    We had no problems quilting it, we used a long arm

I made one (so far) and just used the fleece. Turned out great!

All the ways to quilt mostly work with fleece ...depends on what the quilt will be used for. I have made tons with a fleece backing. Sometimes, just the fleece, no batting (my preferred method). You can quilt these pretty far apart, so they are soft and hugable and they last for years and years. Sometimes, I fold the fleece over the front and stitch it down with something like a zig zag or feather stitch for the binding. Sometimes I bind with a french fold cotton binding.

If you machine quilt with a long arm, a thin batting helps stablize it. I don't like that type of machine quilting as well because fleece must be stretched somewhat to put it on the frame, which makes it pucker too much for my taste. But some customers want it that way.

Have also used it as the back to rag quilts.

Just have to remember that there is a front and a back to fleece and get them right and also one way stretches more than the other. Make sure to position it correctly. Spray baste is wonderful for fleece.

Good luck!

I have done quite a few with fleece for my charity quilts and they wash and wear well no batting necessary,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen
    But how you quilt them?
    Light quilting. I like using my embroidery machine to just do a motif in each square, or even SID. If you quilt them too densely you lose the fluffy cuddly feeling.

someone was reading my mind! I was wondering about using fleece with cotton, flannel with fleece, etc.
    But how about 3 layers of flannel ? Front is breast cancer ribbon ,the batting is light pink and the backing dark pink..will this work? Wondering about the uneveness or wrinkling happening?

I had a problem when I used a military fleece panel without batting, when FMQing my stitches would turn yellow..took me awhile to realize that it happened when I stitched over the yellow parts of the panel...odd! Other than that it was so easy to work with and stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen
    But how you quilt them?
    I just made my first quilt with fleece backing, and no batting, a 50x60" in the Warm Wishes pattern for my little GD. I machine quilted with a longer stitch, diagonally through the solid squares only (not the rail fence squares), and it turned out really well, seems like just the right amount of quilting. Haven't decided yet on a binding, will probably be a cotton one.

I almost always use flannel for my backing and always use batting but vary the thickness. Bind as usual either with cotton or flannel

Thank you all so much!!
    I decided to not use batting in the middle (it's just a lap quilt for my grandma) so it didn't need to be super warm. And I was wondering about the binding today to so thanks again! I think I might just go with cotton..since I have extra fabric. And I might do stitch in the ditch and FM quilting...so we'll see how it turns out! But I change my mind all the time...and I don't want it to loose the softness with too much quilting.

And I'm new to spray basting...but I decided to try that and I love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Casperscott
    I didn't know you could use fleece. Do you have a regular cotton quilt top?
    I've used fleece many times, sometimes with batting and sometimes without. Depending to what state I was sending the quilt to (weather). I use minke (cuddle) a lot too, makes for a cozy quilt.

Blog Entries
    I have used fleece without batting to back a pieced quilt top. Even though I used my walking foot the fleece stretched and I had tucks on the fleece back. I have had greater sucess fusing the thinnest fusable interfacing to the wrong side of the fleece before pinning and quilting. I would also recommend this process when using "minky"

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Quote Originally Posted by KimmieH
    ive wondered about this too.....if doing fleece with or without batting, is the binding the same as doing a normal quilt?
    I use fleece for many many quilts. I love flannel for the front. Sometimes I just roll the fleece to the front over the flannel. You don't have to turn under as it won't fray. Sometimes I make a bias binding of flannel. Since fleece is stretchy, the bias works better than straight of grain. Sometimes I just serge the edges. Here are some of my fleece backed quilts.
    Very cute quilts!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMoe4487
    When you back a quilt with fleece do you put batting in the middle or just do the fleece?
    I do lots of t shirt quilts with fleece backing. I just use flannel in between. Adds some body but not a lot of weight. Washes just fine with t shirts ancotton fabric in front, a layer of flannel, and then fleece backing.

I love fleece backing for my baby quilts...nothing else in the middle.

The times I have used fleece for backing, I just put the top and fleece together --it seems to work Ok that way.

I recently made a quilt top from cotton drapery samples and decided it would be too heavy if I added batting so I just used cordinating fleece for the back. I machine quilted it. My son loves it and said it seems to be so much warmer than other quilts. By the way I washed it when it was completed and that really softened the cotton drape fabric.

Dee
    Very pretty.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have used Berber (spelling). It is different than fleece and I machine quilted it.

Blog Entries
    I am currently making a baby quilt for a baby who will live on the northern Pacific coast, so I have put a layer of batting and a layer of fleece inside, and put pre-quilted tricot on the back. It works but quilting was a real challenge. Good luck!

I used fleece for a cotton top quilt made for my DB, making the fleece 3 inches larger all the way around then rolled it to the front for the binding. Just hand tied with the help of my DH pulling the strings through with pliers. It worked and DB loves it.

I bet!

This really interesting as I am having one quilted now. I have had mixed feed back as well.

I love using fleece on the back of a throw or on baby quilts. It is soft snuggley, and doesn't slide off the person using it. Because fleece is knit and not as stable as a woven ,you want to watch for overquilting and avoid puckers on the fleece back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast