Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Floor stand quilting hoop - Experiences? >

Floor stand quilting hoop - Experiences?

Floor stand quilting hoop - Experiences?

Old 08-23-2018, 06:54 AM

I have that exact one I've only used it a few times but I did enjoy it. I would definitely bring yours down and at least try to use it. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2018, 07:11 AM

I think you should at least try it! It wouldn't work too well for me... I use a hoop and floor stand where I can turn the hoop. I'm not good enough to quilt in all directions...so I turn the quilt a lot. Give it a try!
Old 08-23-2018, 07:14 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, folks. Think I'll haul it down from the attic. Unfortunately, it does not rotate, so the experiment might end up negatively. However, I think I'll give it a try anyway. At the very least, it'll give me a chance to think and reminisce about my Grandma, which will be very pleasant indeed.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:52 AM

I had one like that and hand quilted a few quilts on it. I found it worked better to just hold the hoop in my lap. I would say "give it a try".
Old 08-24-2018, 04:29 AM

I remember that my mother had one back in the 1960's and tried quilting. Discovered she wasn't any good at it and finally had the quilt done by church ladies. Two thumbs up for at least trying. Wish I had that floor stand hoop now.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:42 AM

During my quilting years, I tried many different types of devices for my quilting. I made a set of frames to baste quilts and then quilt them. I finally began ro baste the sandwich and put it on my dining room table. I could sit in front of it and quilt. I cannot sit long enough to quilt now, so that phase of my life is over.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:03 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599982[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599983[/ATTACH]This one was made by a local woodshop that is no longer in business. I have never used it but I thought it was more for embroidery. The frame rotates around on this wooden ball. It appears to be real sturdy. I have no idea what it is worth on the market today. I could find nothing on ebay that was as substantial. I'm on the fence of getting rid of it. If someone wanted something like it, I could ask my woodworking friends.
Attached Thumbnails 20180824_072707_resized.jpg   20180824_072842_resized.jpg  
Old 08-24-2018, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
It is worth it...drag it down! Wish I had one of the old beauties. Mine is handheld and I don’t like how the modern ones look!
Yes, use it. It makes it so much easier to quilt, get up, come back, quilt, etc. and your hands are free. When I hand quilted my first piece I just had the hoop part. I made it work, but the stand makes it so much nicer to sit and work on while you watch TV or listen to music. Quilting is much easier two handed.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by heron View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, folks. Think I'll haul it down from the attic. Unfortunately, it does not rotate, so the experiment might end up negatively. However, I think I'll give it a try anyway. At the very least, it'll give me a chance to think and reminisce about my Grandma, which will be very pleasant indeed.
Even if it does not rotate, it will still make it easier.