Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Floor stand quilting hoop - Experiences? >

Floor stand quilting hoop - Experiences?

Floor stand quilting hoop - Experiences?

Old 08-22-2018, 03:48 AM

Default Floor stand quilting hoop - Experiences?

I inherited from my Grandma a floor stand quilting hoop similar to this one, only hers is from some time before the early 1970's, which is when I first saw it. http://www.sewingsupplies.co.nz/oval...nd-5590-16x27/.

While I've never done hand-quilting, I'm ready to give it a try, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth dragging the hoop down from the attic. Any tips, tricks, thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

I would love to have one of them! I use a hoop but it's the kind you hold.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:16 AM

It is worth it...drag it down! Wish I had one of the old beauties. Mine is handheld and I don’t like how the modern ones look!
Old 08-22-2018, 04:23 AM

I have a really nice floor stand hoop. It's from Hinterburg ? Tried hand quilting with it. It's uncomfortable and tiresome. When I'm hand quilting I'm constantly turning my piece to adjust to the direction that I'm going. A hand held hoop is MUCH easier to manage. My floor stand hoop sits in the basement.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:42 AM

I had one of those floor hoops when I first started quilting. I used it a lot. When we moved, I dismantled it and packed it in separate pieces. Somehow, in transit, the hoop part became broken. It was just a crack and I used wood glue on it but it was never the same. It was warped. I gave up hand quilting and finally donated it to a goodwill center.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
I have a really nice floor stand hoop. It's from Hinterburg ? Tried hand quilting with it. It's uncomfortable and tiresome. When I'm hand quilting I'm constantly turning my piece to adjust to the direction that I'm going. A hand held hoop is MUCH easier to manage. My floor stand hoop sits in the basement.
I also have a Hinterburg frame but I love it. It rotates in all directions. I keep the quilt loose. No problem.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:50 AM

I agree with sewitalltogether. I had one of those Hinterberg Frames and it didn't work for me either. I used a hoop I could turn worked I sold mine
Old 08-22-2018, 11:04 AM

I have a couple of the Hinterburg frames - the stand is the same but different size hoops and one is a frame I used for needlepoint. Mine turns and tilts in various directions. I like that I could sit in a comfortable chair and still quilt. I had a quilting frame that was nice but I had to sit in a chair and lean into it. I got rid of it because it just took up too much space or it had to be dismantled between uses.

I saw bring it down, give it a try and if you don't like it then find someone that will want it.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:09 AM

It would be well worth getting it out and using it!! I have the oval hoop floor quilting frame and used it when hand quilting several vintage tops pieced by my husbands grandmother. After purchasing my Gammill quilting frame the hoop was stored for many years, but recently got out an became an embroidery hoop for a counted cross stitch tree skirt that I'm working on.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:24 AM

I had a floor stand, don't remember the brand, but I couldn't ever get use to it. If I do any hand quilting now, just use a large oval hand held.