Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ Gloves >

FMQ Gloves

FMQ Gloves

Old 10-03-2009, 06:37 AM

I have a pair (not sure of the brand) but they're white with the grippy dots all over the palm side of them. They make a HUGE difference, in my opinion, in being able to control the quilt while quilting it. It makes it so much easier.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I have the Machingers and I love them! I thought of getting cheaper gardening gloves but a more experienced friend talked me out of it and I'm glad she did - the Machingers are so light that I can even rethread the needle while wearing them. I'd highly recommend them. :D
Old 10-03-2009, 07:38 AM

I, too, use gardening gloves and find they work very well. But then I never tried the high end gloves.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:40 AM

I have the Fons and Porter gloves I got at JoAnn's with a coupon, so not too expensive. I think they make all the difference in the world when machine quilting.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:41 AM

I also use a pair of exfoiliating gloves. They work well. My hands do not get hot in them. I have heard people complan that their hands get hot in the quilting gloves. Now if I can just get the foot/speed/hand corridination to work. :lol:
Old 10-03-2009, 07:46 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewsewquilter
I also use a pair of exfoiliating gloves. They work well. My hands do not get hot in them. I have heard people complan that their hands get hot in the quilting gloves. Now if I can just get the foot/speed/hand corridination to work. :lol:
Yes, I'd buy any glove going if it would help me with THAT! :wink: :lol:

I must say my hands don't get hot - the Machingers are 100 percent cotton. :D But I've never tried anything else so can't give a comparison.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:09 AM

Thanks, all! I have a pair of lightweight gardening gloves to use, but too wide and too short for my long skinny hands so they do not work well. I live within zipping distance to Joann's store, so this a.m. I zipped there. They had med. and lg. Fons & Porter gloves only. Because they were in sealed packs, I bought a pair of each size. The lg. fit o.k. so I will take the unopened med. back and get my money back on my next visit there. (Of course, I should have tried them on before I left Joann's parking lot, but that didn't occur to me until I got home!) HOWEVER, yesterday when I was doing my on-line research, Machingers got a 5-star rating and Fons & Porter gloves a 2.5-star rating; I will see how I like these F&P and meanwhile, keep a watchful eye for a good deal on Machingers. With the Joann's 50% coupon I had, I could have gotten the Machingers for $4.00 on line, but then had to pay nearly $6.00 in s&h, plus sales tax, plus wait several days for them to get here. I'm working on a quilt for a small boy who has chronic health problems and I need to get it finished and sent to him so I wanted the gloves NOW. It is a positively gorgeous quilt, if I do say so myself, and I don't want to ruin it with crappy looking FMQ.

Again, thank you all for your responses.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 AM

P.S. Please point me in the right direction to find exfoliating gloves. They sound most interesting, but since I am the world's worst shopper, it's a struggle to find anything I want. I can manage to find things such as milk, eggs, fruit and veggies, but if it's something I don't use on a regular basis, I'm in trouble!
Old 10-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster
I use Machingers. My quilting improved when I started using them. They're not that expensive, and they're lightweight and not too warm. After their 25% discount they cost $6.15. I don't know how much shipping would be.
Duh, I meant to say that I bought them at Fabric Depot, in Portland, when they were having an in-store sale. They have them on the web site too.
http://fabricdepot.com/index.php?pag...ing=machingers
When you check out is when the discount brings it down to $6.15.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

I use the Fons and Porters gloves. They make a huge difference. If for some reason I can't find them (like the cat dragged them away and hid them :D :D ) I have a couple pair of nubby gardening glove I keep in my sewing desk to use in a pinch. They work OK too.