Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 80

Thread: Gloves for FMQ

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am thinking that the FMQ on a larger quilt might be easier if I have these grippy gloves..I was told to get Machingers...but they are no longer available via my distributor.
    Here are my choices..Grabaroos(they are purple), quilter's Nitrile touch(various colors, look like water proof gardening gloves), Ergonomic Sewgrip gloves(look like surgical gloves), and machine quilting Grip gloves..(look knitted with dots on them)

    any ideas, suggestions, HELP...thanks

  2. #2
    Super Member PegD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,167
    Blog Entries
    4
    I use just a pair of work gloves that have the grippy on them. You can get them at the dollar store. Alot cheaper than the quilting ones.

  3. #3
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,630
    I think I have used the ones that look like water proof gardening gloves. Someone gave a light weight pair i think may be from Fons and Porter, I like those to.
    Have also used cheap gloves that have the rubber dots ike from a dolllar store or garden center.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    so maybe I should hit the stores tomorrow and see what these feel like on before I order anything particular then???

    I have seen the dotted ones and water proof ones...never thought of them for quilting, but might have to try them out...lowes it is then..

  5. #5
    Super Member Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hillcountry in Texas
    Posts
    1,035
    Blog Entries
    4
    I have Machingers and really like them. I have also used the really thick knitted looking ones. UGH!! But I have a pair of garden gloves(cheapies) that look like they could get the job done.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have some Nitrile ones in the green house, but they are thick, almost stiff...not sure I could move in those..they are hard for me to use even in the garden!

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    howell, Mi
    Posts
    2,343
    I use those finger cots that you get at the stationary store. Gloves bother me--don't know why--just quirky. They come in different sizes and don't make my hands sweat.
    Sue

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
    I use those finger cots that you get at the stationary store. Gloves bother me--don't know why--just quirky. They come in different sizes and don't make my hands sweat.
    Sue
    that is why I have not used gloves thus far...I can't stand the way gloves rub between my fingers..all winter I go without gloves because of this...

  9. #9
    bj
    bj is offline
    Super Member bj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,569
    I use gardening gloves. I don't like that I can't pick things up with my fingers very well...I'm thinking of cutting the fingertips out. They were cheapies from Walgreens so it won't be too horrible if it ruins them! I'll look for a replacement pair first, however. :-D :-D

  10. #10
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    I just bought one from Joanns with my 50 percent off coupon. It was 24.00 normal price. There is only one glove, I will give it a try....but my just buy a cheap pair for the other hand.

  11. #11
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    I bought a bunch of gardening gloves when they clearanced them. They work as well as my Fons and Porters quilting gloves and are a lot cheaper.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Boscobd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I just bought one from Joanns with my 50 percent off coupon. It was 24.00 normal price. There is only one glove, I will give it a try....but my just buy a cheap pair for the other hand.
    Are you sure that the glove you bought is not a "klutz" glove meant to be worn on the non-rotary cutter hand when cutting? They usually come one to a package and have knobbies on them as well (helps grip the ruler). I think they are woven kevlar which makes them cut-resistant. I have one (got it after cutting the end off my finger) and use it a lot. :-)

  13. #13
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    you are right...Oh...that is not what I wanted...LOL...well I guess since I have it I will use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boscobd
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I just bought one from Joanns with my 50 percent off coupon. It was 24.00 normal price. There is only one glove, I will give it a try....but my just buy a cheap pair for the other hand.
    Are you sure that the glove you bought is not a "klutz" glove meant to be worn on the non-rotary cutter hand when cutting? They usually come one to a package and have knobbies on them as well (helps grip the ruler). I think they are woven kevlar which makes them cut-resistant. I have one (got it after cutting the end off my finger) and use it a lot. :-)

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by PegD
    I use just a pair of work gloves that have the grippy on them. You can get them at the dollar store. Alot cheaper than the quilting ones.
    Mine are gardening gloves.... Just be careful of the color, mine transfered, but I had bright green ones....

  15. #15
    Super Member hcarpanini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,175
    You can order Machingers at Handiquilter.com

  16. #16
    Super Member Kitsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ridgefield WA
    Posts
    6,621
    Blog Entries
    41
    Atlas gardening gloves! Nice and snug, don't get sweaty. Great for arthritic hands, too

  17. #17
    Super Member ontheriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Selma Alabama
    Posts
    3,670
    I went to walmart, bought garden gloves with rubber fingers and palms for 4.99' they work great.

  18. #18
    Super Member miss_ticky2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I use gardening gloves. I don't like that I can't pick things up with my fingers very well...I'm thinking of cutting the fingertips out. They were cheapies from Walgreens so it won't be too horrible if it ruins them! I'll look for a replacement pair first, however. :-D :-D
    I use gardening gloves and I cut the thumb and index finger tips off each. Makes it much easier to pick something up :)

  19. #19
    Super Member TonnieLoree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    La Grande, OR
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I am thinking that the FMQ on a larger quilt might be easier if I have these grippy gloves..I was told to get Machingers...but they are no longer available via my distributor.
    Here are my choices..Grabaroos(they are purple), quilter's Nitrile touch(various colors, look like water proof gardening gloves), Ergonomic Sewgrip gloves(look like surgical gloves), and machine quilting Grip gloves..(look knitted with dots on them)

    any ideas, suggestions, HELP...thanks
    For years I used the Nytril examination gloves from the doctors office. They work great but make your hands sweat. I finally broke down and bought a pair of white cotton with rubberized finger tips. Sorry, threw away the packaging and don't remember the brand. Someone else mentioned gardening gloves from the Dollar store. Wish I would have thought of that first! Live and learn I guess. :shock: ;-)

  20. #20
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,654
    I have tried all of the above suggestions and like machingers the best.

  21. #21
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,579
    Blog Entries
    19
    I like the Fons and Porter because they are lightweight and not hot. I find myself only wearing so I can pull out pins more easily with the other. As a beginner, I hate to post because I don't know what I'm doing.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Boscobd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I like the Fons and Porter because they are lightweight and not hot. I find myself only wearing so I can pull out pins more easily with the other. As a beginner, I hate to post because I don't know what I'm doing.
    I sometimes only wear one as well depending on what I'm quilting! There are times when pulling pins is a must and the gloves are a bit bulky for that.
    Please don't hesitate to post because you are a beginner. We all learn from each other, no matter what our experience level!

  23. #23
    Super Member lalaland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    2,481
    I was at the Expo in WA just a few weeks ago and a lot of the booths were selling the Machingers so I don't think they have been discontinued. I bought a pair and I really like them. I like having the grip area just on the fingertips.

    I had a pair of Quilter's Gloves by Nancy Odom. They have the gripper dots on the palm area as well as the fingers. I had to cut the tips of the fingers off because they made my hands sweat.

    Quite frankly, I think garden gloves would work well too.

  24. #24
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,340
    I use soft gardeners gloves with the bumpys on the fingers they work wonderfully you can get them at Harbor freight for 2$ for 3 pairs I have the grabbaroos they work well too

  25. #25
    Super Member jitkaau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,118
    The best I have used are those rubbery mats with the holes in them that you put under bowls and glasses to stop them from moving around. Some people line drawers with the bigger ones. They don't fall off your fingers, they are easily moved, they grip the fabric and they do not have to be taken off all of the time to thread the needle etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.