Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gloves for FMQ

Blog Entries
    This is a great idea!!!! I have half of a roll from serveral years ago...I will give this a try...Thanks for the idea!!!I also saw a add for Betty Bands on Keepsake quilting. Thinking I could do that with the line drawers and use velco strips to hold them. I have both of those items in my cellar...
    Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    The best I have used are those rubbery mats with the holes in them that you put under bowls and glasses to stop them from moving around. Some people line drawers with the bigger ones. They don't fall off your fingers, they are easily moved, they grip the fabric and they do not have to be taken off all of the time to thread the needle etc.

There are many quilting websites that have the Machingers. Many times you can get them on sale for $5 - $6 something. For me they are well worth the price as the thicker gloves drive me nuts. The machingers fit like a glove and are not hot or constricting in any way. JMHO

I was also wondering about gloves too. Thanks for the info.

Even easier - cut hand sized squares of the waffle shelf lining material. Place these on the quilt underneath your hands. The quilt will glide through the machine.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Forget gloves! This is waaaay better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpmMYIDCrZw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Quote Originally Posted by PegD
    I use just a pair of work gloves that have the grippy on them. You can get them at the dollar store. Alot cheaper than the quilting ones.
    Mine are gardening gloves.... Just be careful of the color, mine transfered, but I had bright green ones....
    That's what I was going to say after I read through all the comments. I have machingers and love them, very light weight and comfortable. Every gardening glove I have ever had was bulky and loose fitting. I would worry about excess dye coming off the gloves onto my quilting. My machingers have turned pink on the fingers from a red quilt I was stitching. I also like that you can put them on either hand. I am sure you can find them online somewhere. Check connectingthreads.com.

Blog Entries
    Oh I like this idea...there must be a cheap item like this in a department store or a department store. Its just a rubber circle....Love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
    Forget gloves! This is waaaay better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpmMYIDCrZw

Machingers work the best for me. Lightweight and work well. Seen them for sale on ebay and Leah Day's site, too early for my brain to function, someone can give you her website.

iI was at the AQS show last weekend and took a class from Sue Nickels on FMQ . She used the playtex dishwashing gloves one size smaller than you would normaly wear but she doesn't use the whole glove . She cuts the pointer and middle fingers off and just uses them on her fingers. I tried it and it really works well. This way just four of your fingers are covered and you get a really light touch on your quilt for control

I saw on a video once that you can use a piece of that rubber stuff (the ones you can buy for table mats with holes in them) and just cut one the size of your hand. It leaves your hands free without having to take off a glove. I haven't tried that yet but sure looks like a good idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I am thinking that the FMQ on a larger quilt might be easier if I have these grippy gloves..I was told to get Machingers...but they are no longer available via my distributor.
    Here are my choices..Grabaroos(they are purple), quilter's Nitrile touch(various colors, look like water proof gardening gloves), Ergonomic Sewgrip gloves(look like surgical gloves), and machine quilting Grip gloves..(look knitted with dots on them)

any ideas, suggestions, HELP...thanks
    These are by Mr.Clean. Comfy, have Spandex in them so they fit well and my hands don't sweat. $2.99

by Mr.Clean
    Name:  Attachment-175642.jpe
Views: 66
Size:  44.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I am thinking that the FMQ on a larger quilt might be easier if I have these grippy gloves..I was told to get Machingers...but they are no longer available via my distributor.
    Here are my choices..Grabaroos(they are purple), quilter's Nitrile touch(various colors, look like water proof gardening gloves), Ergonomic Sewgrip gloves(look like surgical gloves), and machine quilting Grip gloves..(look knitted with dots on them)

any ideas, suggestions, HELP...thanks
    Jaciqltznok

I bought some of the white quilting gloves, and I think that I waited my money! Next time it will be either the gardening gloves!

TreeFrog

Blog Entries
    i have the cheap garden gloves with rubber on the hands..work fine. and i would not try to quilt without them.

BUT i detest having to put then on, take them off..when i hve to do something else while sewing..changing thread,bobbin,needle..etc.

they have something new out, or i think it is new..it is a band that wraps around the palm of your hand..was thinking of buying or making something like that..

they are called "Betty Bands"
    http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...TTY-BANDS-.htm

anyone try these out yet?

Use anything with a rubber base. Rubber bands, Erasers, Finger tops .
    I've even used the dish washing gloves, you know, the ugly yellow ones.lol
    I bought some clear gloves at the dollar store, but they didn't work because they were not really a rubber base. They looked like rubber, but they were more of a plastic, so test it before you buy it.
    My hands are not as strong as they were in my younger days. So, I use the rubber base shelf liners. I cut out a 6 inche square, tied a long string to it and tied it to one of my door handles in the kitchen. I use it for opening pickle jars, olive jars etc.
    I have some liner left over, think I'll see if I can make some sorta glove.
    Syl

Blog Entries
    I bought gardening gloves at the grocery store that are made of a bamboo light weight knitted fabric and have very tiny rubberized dots on the underside of the fingers. They are great because they are not so bulky.

Blog Entries
    I saw this...I was thinking of just using the rubber shaelfing lining and adding velco to it. It would work the same. I just finished quilting a quilt last night...wish I would have seen this first...oh well gives me a reason to hurry up and finish my next quilt top.
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    i have the cheap garden gloves with rubber on the hands..work fine. and i would not try to quilt without them.

BUT i detest having to put then on, take them off..when i hve to do something else while sewing..changing thread,bobbin,needle..etc.

they have something new out, or i think it is new..it is a band that wraps around the palm of your hand..was thinking of buying or making something like that..

Banned
    MACHINGERS! If I could put it in bigger type I would! I'm sorry to be bossy, but you absolutely must at least try them. Get them online if you can't find them anywhere else. I haven't seen them at JoAnn or Hancock, but most LQS have them. You can usually try them on right there to be sure of what size you need. I beg you on bended knees to get a pair!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I bought a bunch of gardening gloves when they clearanced them. They work as well as my Fons and Porters quilting gloves and are a lot cheaper.
    That is what I use. My hubby got them for me and they work just fine. Of course, I am not a big FMQ quilter. I do more
    STD and they work great for that also. And you can't beat the price!!!!

I ordered my Machingers from Joann's online. They truly made a HUGE difference, and they are breathable, so no sweating!

That was a very interesting video and quite the simple contraption. Do you use one? I must check out the LQS today and ask about it. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by PegD
    I use just a pair of work gloves that have the grippy on them. You can get them at the dollar store. Alot cheaper than the quilting ones.
    Ditto...they work great and leave me more money for fabric :)

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I saw this...I was thinking of just using the rubber shaelfing lining and adding velco to it. It would work the same. I just finished quilting a quilt last night...wish I would have seen this first...oh well gives me a reason to hurry up and finish my next quilt top.
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide

I don't see why any body with an ounce of creativity couldn't manufacture something like that for themselves. I am guilty of trying to re-invent the wheel before, so I will give it a try. Thanks

Machingers are great, you can get them through Amazon. Also have a pair of Fons and Porter which work equally well. But by all means don't get the "Batt Scooters" as they are a total waste of money. Cute, but don't do what they are purported to do.

Blog Entries
    I had one similar to this and didn't care for it. It seemed to be more of a bother than an aid.

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I use gardening gloves. I don't like that I can't pick things up with my fingers very well...I'm thinking of cutting the fingertips out. They were cheapies from Walgreens so it won't be too horrible if it ruins them! I'll look for a replacement pair first, however. :-D :-D
    This is what I use, I like that they are tight fitting, I hate lose gloves for sewing. I do cut the tips off because I like to be able to pick up pins and such. They work real well and are cheap so if they need replacing I can do it easily.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast