Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gloves for FMQ

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I use gardening gloves. I don't like that I can't pick things up with my fingers very well...I'm thinking of cutting the fingertips out. They were cheapies from Walgreens so it won't be too horrible if it ruins them! I'll look for a replacement pair first, however. :-D :-D
    This is what I use, I like that they are tight fitting, I hate lose gloves for sewing. I do cut the tips off because I like to be able to pick up pins and such. They work real well and are cheap so if they need replacing I can do it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by PegD
    I use just a pair of work gloves that have the grippy on them. You can get them at the dollar store. Alot cheaper than the quilting ones.
    Me too and I was amazed at the difference it makes when wearing them to FMQ.

I just experimented with cheap gardening gloves from the dollar store. After cutting off the thumb and the pointer finger from both hands, these worked better than the expensive "quilting" gloves that I recently purchased.

BTW, my across the hall neighbor just stopped by. She wanted to see what all of the racket was. Said it sounded like a rapid fire machine gun. Ah, the sweet sounds of FMQ!

I think you have to try them for fit and comfort. I bought a pair that had quite a bit of rubber for gripping and my hands would sweat whenever I used them.

Quote Originally Posted by msquiltalot
    I think you have to try them for fit and comfort. I bought a pair that had quite a bit of rubber for gripping and my hands would sweat whenever I used them.
    The quilting gloves that I bought were cotton, only the fingertips were rubberized. My hands didn't sweat. Maybe if I washed them in hot water, the cotton would shrink. (no dryer). They were a size "S" to begin with. I still need to shrink the gardening gloves if I can.

I use the ones that look like gardening gloves. Actually, I got them at the garden store and used them for quite a while before they were marketed as FMQ gloves!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    I use the ones that look like gardening gloves. Actually, I got them at the garden store and used them for quite a while before they were marketed as FMQ gloves!
    OMGosh! That is a beautiful quilt! I'm impressed 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Thanks! I got a 2nd place at a guild show several years ago.

Gloves make my hands sweat too. then my whole body over heats.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Thanks! I got a 2nd place at a guild show several years ago.
    Second??? I can not begin to imaging what took First!

Keep looking until you find the machingers they are the best, i tried a couple of different ones and the garden gloves and wouldn't trade the machingers for anything. :thumbup:

those are the gloves that i use and love , you can get them online at a lot of quilting sites,

Quote Originally Posted by penski
    those are the gloves that i use and love , you can get them online at a lot of quilting sites,
    Eleanor Burns has them on her quilt in a day store , i believe that is the name of her site

Blog Entries
    They are 7.99 at Joann's but only on their online store. I am looking for a free shipping coupon.
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmorethings
    Keep looking until you find the machingers they are the best, i tried a couple of different ones and the garden gloves and wouldn't trade the machingers for anything. :thumbup:

I have both the machingers and the fons and porters. The machingers are a bit looser so i tend to use the f&p. But if my hands are swollen (which they often are) i switch to the machingers!

In an online class they said to use the gardening gloves (nitate or something like that). I believe they were at WalMart $4 a pair or less. They worked fine for FMQ, but were hot and I don't like gloves. I use Mr. Clean sponges and do not wear gloves. The sponges grip the fabric and I can put my hands flat on the top of the sponges and move the quilt to FMQ.Carpal tunnel issues in both wrists so I need a good grip to move the fabric yet no stress on the wrists.

I use Machingers but have used cotton type garden gloves. They breath. Some of the gloves my hands got sweaty.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone ever tried using sponges? I saw a video on this and bought some, but haven't tried them yet. Just wondering.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    I have the blue Fons & Porter ones I bought at JoAnn's ~ I think they were only $3.49 or so, very reasonable, and I cannot FMQ without them now!

Blog Entries
    I just had a FMQ class and the teacher said a small bit of glycerine on fingertips works great. We all tried it and worked as well as gloves, plus I didn't have to take gloves off to do whatever you need to feel. I also tried the hoop, but that didn't work well for me, probably would take a little practice.

I just got the Machingers gloves from a LQS and they do work well. They are thin enough you don't have to take them off to thread a needle or do other things. I don't know anything about the other brands.

Blog Entries
    I went to Graingers and bought a pair of glove with blue dots that stick quite nice to fabric and string for $1.

Machiners are available online at Quilt in a Day. I love them.

A friend in Washington sent me a pair of FMQ disks you hold down on the fabric which grip. She said they are sold in two quilt stores in her area. Just got them Friday; can't wait to give them a whirl. I hear they are marvelous for those that don't want to wear gloves.

They are called Stitch and Grip Quilting Disks and the website is under construction.

It sounds like you bought the F&P Klutz glove for rotary cutting protection ... machine quilting gloves always come in pairs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast