Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ on Janome 8900QCP.....Help please! >

FMQ on Janome 8900QCP.....Help please!

FMQ on Janome 8900QCP.....Help please!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I also use the free motion bobbin case (Mine has a blue dot).

Watson
Ditto on the Blue Dot bobbin case!
Old 03-14-2019, 08:00 AM

I have the 8200 (same machine, less stitches) I also had a problem with free motion. I finally read the manual and it said to use the single hole footplate.....Never a problem again.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I also use the free motion bobbin case (Mine has a blue dot).

I would re-thread my machine from scratch.

I would put my top tension back to normal and try a different thread bobbin on a scrap sandwich and see if you have the same problem. This will tell you if it is truly THAT thread combo that is the problem or if there is a general problem.

Seems odd to me that it would only be one combination of thread.

Watson
It’s more that being new to this with my previous quilts (not many) I used the awful clear thread on the back or same colour top and back and if there was a problem it wasn’t very obvious.

As as an update I was working on adjusting the bottom tension this morning when the power went out....just back on now! Interested in the special bobbin case, will call closest Janome shop to see if they carry it.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sally J View Post
I have the 8200 (same machine, less stitches) I also had a problem with free motion. I finally read the manual and it said to use the single hole footplate.....Never a problem again.
Read the manual.....seems logical.....unfortunately I can't find mine! Was going to download a copy but figured you folks would be more helpful! I have changed to this footplate but didn't get a chance to try it yet. And with all these suggestions I am sure it was the correct call!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:47 AM

Picked up the free motion bobbin holder today....still not happy with the results. Spend the last hour making a stack of practice sandwiches and will tackle again tomorrow with a clear head. I have addressed everything suggested here including the needles and stitch plate and tried various combinations. A couple of ladies at one of the LQS has suggested that I might have unrealistic expectations as to what to expect while FMQ on a DSM....even a good one. In particular it was suggested that it would be virtually impossible to get my colour combination of light grey and bright purple to consistently show even tension.....thoughts?
Old 03-15-2019, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cattitude View Post
Picked up the free motion bobbin holder today....still not happy with the results. Spend the last hour making a stack of practice sandwiches and will tackle again tomorrow with a clear head. I have addressed everything suggested here including the needles and stitch plate and tried various combinations. A couple of ladies at one of the LQS has suggested that I might have unrealistic expectations as to what to expect while FMQ on a DSM....even a good one. In particular it was suggested that it would be virtually impossible to get my colour combination of light grey and bright purple to consistently show even tension.....thoughts?
I always use the same thread top and bottom, so not an issue for me, but I have read on several blogs that getting perfect tension on FMQ is not easy to do. But some people say once it is washed and dried, the thread will bury itself in the sandwich and won't be noticeable. Some people use matching sharpies to color the offending thread.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

My machine will sew perfectly when doing FMQ with light and dark thread. Then all of a sudden I get pokies and sew perfectly again. Mostly I am going to just use one color upper and lower. I have messed with both tensions, cleaned, oiled, doesn't matter.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 PM

I have an 8900QCP....when I G’ma,My tension is ar about 5.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:14 AM

When I purchased my 8900, I was so excited to do the FMQ. Took it out of the box, pugged it in, looked up FMQ in manual, threaded the needle, Same thread top and bottom. Changed nothing, not even the needle. started FMQ. it was perfect. Since then, I have used the blue dot bobbin, use 90/14 topstitch needles from Organ. Everything is fine.
I would suggest, first get your stitch balance correct on straight line sewing. If that is perfect, then your free motion should be also as far as the balance of one thread to the other. If your straight stitch is off, set that and see if your FMQ is what you want. Remember your needle needs to be one matched to the fabric. I have found that the 90/14 works with most sandwiches. Sometimes batiks require a 90/14 sharp microtex needle due to the density of the weave. Best wishes, you have a wonderful machine. If you can't get it right, go back to the shop and ask them to set it for you. They should be accommodating.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
When I purchased my 8900, I was so excited to do the FMQ. Took it out of the box, pugged it in, looked up FMQ in manual, threaded the needle, Same thread top and bottom. Changed nothing, not even the needle. started FMQ. it was perfect. Since then, I have used the blue dot bobbin, use 90/14 topstitch needles from Organ. Everything is fine.
I would suggest, first get your stitch balance correct on straight line sewing. If that is perfect, then your free motion should be also as far as the balance of one thread to the other. If your straight stitch is off, set that and see if your FMQ is what you want. Remember your needle needs to be one matched to the fabric. I have found that the 90/14 works with most sandwiches. Sometimes batiks require a 90/14 sharp microtex needle due to the density of the weave. Best wishes, you have a wonderful machine. If you can't get it right, go back to the shop and ask them to set it for you. They should be accommodating.
I was pleased with my first couple of efforts....I just think my thread combo is unforgiving. As another poster mentioned it is all going great and then I turn left and the bobbin thread pokes through....Zoolander! Anyway after much experimentation with the FMQ bobbin case I have results I can live with but ultimately decided to change my top thread to a darker colour. Also, in the future I will be selecting my backing fabric carefully as opposed to 'this is on sale and I like it'! Lessons learned. One more thanks to all those that answered my plea for help.