Fmq

Old 09-30-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
I have never had this particular problem, although I certainly sympathize. Do you "set" the thread in the tensioners? (pull slightly to get it clear in). Always thread with the presser foot up. I say this because it sounds like an upper thread tension problem to me. Speeding up usually does not help with FMQ problems. Are you using all of the "thread path" to control the thread? There are only a few reasons to bother changing the tension setting, such as extra light/heavy thread. Usually if I have thread shredding, I suspect 1) a needle burr 2) lint in the machine, especially around the feed dogs. 3) burr on bobbin/bobbin case. Of course, any time I have problems my general approach is to stop, clean/oil the machine, completly rethread it. Both my quilting instructor and my dealer say this.

I hope I have not been too heavy handed with my answer.
Thank you, QM. Not heavy handed at all. Yes, I've rethreaded so many times I can probably do it blindfolded. I've changed needles, and not using feed dogs. But I will soon try new thread and needles so I hope to have a success story in a few day.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 AM

I use a size 16 needle and Hobbs cotton/poly blend for batting.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 AM

If the thread is shredding it indicates the eye of the needle is too small for the thickness of the thread.
Try using a metalfil or topstitch needle size 90 or 100. They also have a slot on the shank for the thread to nestle in whilst the needle goes through the fabric. Change the needle about every 8 hours of sewing. If you hear a popping sound as you sew, the needle definitely needs to be changed.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 AM

The only thing I could possibly add is to try using Sewer's Aid on your needle thread. I had a problem with thread breaking when I first started fmqing. I tried EVERYTHING. I really believe it was the Sewer's Aid that finally solved my problem. I used to be able to buy it at Hancock, but the last time I had to order online. It comes in a bottle that looks like fray check. If you are placing an online order, I also highly recommend bobbin genies. I think sometimes it comes down to the right combination of "tricks" for each person and machine.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM

Are you using the round pressser foot with the spring? You should be. I get a mess when I forget to change the feet.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by sew4nin View Post
The only thing I could possibly add is to try using Sewer's Aid on your needle thread. I had a problem with thread breaking when I first started fmqing. I tried EVERYTHING. I really believe it was the Sewer's Aid that finally solved my problem. I used to be able to buy it at Hancock, but the last time I had to order online. It comes in a bottle that looks like fray check. If you are placing an online order, I also highly recommend bobbin genies. I think sometimes it comes down to the right combination of "tricks" for each person and machine.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Thank you. I am using the genie already but will change needle soon.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by DanaNVa View Post
Are you using the round pressser foot with the spring? You should be. I get a mess when I forget to change the feet.
Yes, I'm using the free motion foot. I've followed Leah's adaption.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Have you changed needles and completely rethreaded the the machine, including taking the bobbin out and reinserting it? My Janome was having farkles the other day and nothing I did made it work right. I decided the clean it, and when I did, I discovered that I had the bobbin case in wrong. I was about to decide the devil was tormenting me because I was making a table cover for the church. LOL! Good luck!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
My Janome was having farkles the other day
Farkles? Lol! This is too funny to me - my husband travels almost every week for his job, and "Farkles" is his term for people at the airport who don't travel often and have no idea where they're going or what they're supposed to be doing.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
Have you changed needles and completely rethreaded the the machine, including taking the bobbin out and reinserting it? My Janome was having farkles the other day and nothing I did made it work right. I decided the clean it, and when I did, I discovered that I had the bobbin case in wrong. I was about to decide the devil was tormenting me because I was making a table cover for the church. LOL! Good luck!
Yes, Mimibug I have done everything but stand on my head and rethread it but that might not be far away. I'm going in Florence this evening so I may not wait for my new needles in the mail but buy some tonight if they have the right size. There is two small quilt shops there so hopefully between the two of them I can find what I need.