Fmq

Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 AM

Default Fmq

I'm trying to teach myself how to FMQ on my Brother. How can I get my stitches the same length? Some of them are small and some are long.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

It practice. You will learn to move your hands at a certain speed coordinated with the speed of your machine. I am guessing you have set your stitch length at zero and/or lowered your feed dogs if your machine does this. There are many tutorials on the board and YouTube videos. I can FMQ adequately on my dinky Brother mechanical machine. Also be sure to keep your presser foot lowered. And again, practice, practice and more practice!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 AM

My stitch length is at 2.5 What should it be set at?
Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I would go with zero because your hands are moving the quilt. The feed dogs don't help you. Are you using a FMQ foot for your machine? Sometimes called darning foot or open toe foot?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I would go with zero because your hands are moving the quilt. The feed dogs don't help you. Are you using a FMQ foot for your machine? Sometimes called darning foot or open toe foot?
Yep, FMQ foot is on and feed dogs are down.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Before I bought my Bernina with the stitch regulator, I found what helped me the most was having a speed locked in. I found the spot where the speed was where I wanted it when in pressed the foot pedal and duct taped a piece of eraser on the bottom part of foot pedal the went down over the bottom. I don't know what kind of a foot pedal you have but if you have a way to put in a stop, you can control how far you can depress your foot pedal and it will help. I could press my pedal to the stop and then just worry about moving my hands at the right speed.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Before I bought my Bernina with the stitch regulator, I found what helped me the most was having a speed locked in. I found the spot where the speed was where I wanted it when in pressed the foot pedal and duct taped a piece of eraser on the bottom part of foot pedal the went down over the bottom. I don't know what kind of a foot pedal you have but if you have a way to put in a stop, you can control how far you can depress your foot pedal and it will help. I could press my pedal to the stop and then just worry about moving my hands at the right speed.
Would the speed control setting on mine be the same thing?
Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Leah Day used to recommend lowering the feed dogs and now she doesn't. She said she found she has better control of her stitching with thebfeed dogs up. I'm taking a class with her from Craftsy and she mentioned this. Practice, practice, practice! Take some classes from Craftsy. There are several that cover FMQ.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:40 AM

Yes. On my Janome I like the slider about two thirds along and just use the on/off buttons - no foot pedal. On my Pfaff I set the speed control about half and it's 'pedal to the metal', lol.
However, the stitch length will still be determined by the speed you move your fabric - slow=small stitches and fast=bigger. Try to keep your movement as consistent as possible, particularly on curves. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Yes the speed control would be the same if your machine has it. Find a speed spot you like and then you can put your pedal to the metal and just concentrate on your hands.