fmq

Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 PM

i am relatively new to fmq. do it all on my little singer machine. i always think i am doing pretty good until i see all the quilts that are posted with such intricate quilting designs - tiny flowers, tiny little swirly things etc - all done so perfectly. are all these done on regular machines or on longarms? is there a program that does these or do all of you that do them have super steady hands and awesome eye/hand coordination? i have even tried fmq small flowers but they end up all wonky. just curious how long it takes to master this and if it can be done on a regular machine or do you need a longarm to do it? all my quilts seem so amaturish (sp) compared to what is posted on this site.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:17 PM

I have been wondering as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Power Poster

Some are free hand work, and some are computerized on a LA and some are done on small domestic machines. The more you practice, the better you will get :D:D:D

I have read where the professional have said that when they free hand, they do not get every detail exact and perfect. Even the judges don't expect that. They are looking more at the stitching and the over all effect :D:D:D
Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 AM

I do freehand fmq on a domestic machine, and dont worry about every little element being perfect.
It does take practice - and you will see improvements each time you do some.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

Do a lot of doodling with a pencil and paper - similar designs to those you want to sew - it helps with the hand/eye co-ordination and gives you an idea how you can get out of corners and around designs in your quilt.

When I first wanted to meander or stipplie, I doodled on the backs of envelopes in different sizes - even on newspaper!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
i am relatively new to fmq. do it all on my little singer machine. i always think i am doing pretty good until i see all the quilts that are posted with such intricate quilting designs - tiny flowers, tiny little swirly things etc - all done so perfectly. are all these done on regular machines or on longarms? is there a program that does these or do all of you that do them have super steady hands and awesome eye/hand coordination? i have even tried fmq small flowers but they end up all wonky. just curious how long it takes to master this and if it can be done on a regular machine or do you need a longarm to do it? all my quilts seem so amaturish (sp) compared to what is posted on this site.
I personally compare fmq on a sewing machine like drawing only moving your paper. I cannot do it. I have a long arm and can do fmq on that easier. I think it's a personal thing for each person.
Some is done by computer....too perfect for me, I like the wonky shapes. Wonky is good. Get a dry erase board and start practicing your shapes on there. It's how we practice here.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I think you would be surprised at how many are computer generated. Mine aren't, they are all me.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 PM

Practice make improvement!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:12 PM
RST

I do mine on a domestic machine, all improv -- no patterns marked. Practice helps a lot, as does having a stitch regulator (Bernina is the only domestic machine with one on the market).

Interestingly, after sewing with the stitch regulator for about a year, I find that my FMQ skills without the stitch regulator are pretty much the same as *with*. I've heard it described as training wheels for FMQ -- gives you the instant successes and confidence to build up the skills to go it all by yourself. I find that to be true.

RST
Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

Go check out Leah Day and her 365 quilting patterns online. Lots of practice and you too can have pebbles and swirlies and flames......