fmq

Old 01-30-2011, 01:14 PM

I have a question for those FMQ quilters. Since I'm new at all this I've put together some squares with batting,front and back to practice on which is highly advised. My question is what do you use to keep the pieces together? I used safety pins but it just seems to loose. Would anyone suggest I use a basting spray to keep the pieces together. It seems it would flow better if all three layers where more stiff. It could just be my machine since it's older. I have a kenmore that my sister in law gave me probably 10+ yrs ago and it was probably a few yrs old at that time when she did. Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:18 PM
np3
Power Poster

I use pieces about 6 inches wide and 10 inches long. They stay together since they are so small. I use them to practice right before I start a new quilt top. When I work on an actual project, table topper size, I use safety pins. I don't have much slipping for the smaller sizes. It is the bigger ones that I pin and baste. Or basting spray.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:21 PM

That would depend on how big your practise squares are. If they're 24" or less, I would just pin a bit and sew around the whole outside edge about 1/2" in from the edge, then take the pins out.
For larger area squares, I would use whatever type of basting you'll use on your quilts. That way you'll get used to a: working around safety pins and learning how close you can/can't get to them before taking them out.
and b: for spray baste, you'd get the feel of the fabric, and a sense if your needle is getting gummed up or not.
Happy practising. You'll love it.
Make sure to check out www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com It's Leah Day's site and she's my guru for FMQ
Old 01-30-2011, 01:21 PM

I spray baste and have no problems. It stays together really good. I also had a Kenmore and loved it...Kenmore is a sturdy machine.
here are a few links I found that show you some good spray basting ideas and also FMQ'ing on your sewing machine.
http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/201...-quilting.html
Old 01-30-2011, 03:11 PM

thanks for the links. When I was them the sandwich seams somewhat stiff. When I was practicing it seems my sandwich was bunching up making it difficult to move the sandwich around. I'll keep practicing.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:25 PM

Did you try silicone spray on the base of your sewing machine? I have not yet but I have heard it helps a lot.
Originally Posted by msawicki64
thanks for the links. When I was them the sandwich seams somewhat stiff. When I was practicing it seems my sandwich was bunching up making it difficult to move the sandwich around. I'll keep practicing.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by msawicki64
If your sandwich is bunching up, do you have your feed dogs down?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM

yes the feed dogs are covered by tape. I don't have a machine that drops them automatically and this is what was suggested by others to do. It is probably because i'm just starting out. I will keep practicing. I'm sure it will improve. thanks for all of your help.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:19 PM

Well, I've bookmarked this post!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:28 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by tjradj
Make sure to check out www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com It's Leah Day's site and she's my guru for FMQ
This is fabulous advice. Do check out Leah's videos and her tips for FMQ-ing. She's got terrific information for all skill levels.