FMQ - tension? issues

FMQ - tension? issues

Old 02-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

This link will help you:

http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...ad-tug-of-war/
Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

It looks to me like your top tension is too loose, so the bobbin thread is not being pulled up into the quilt sandwich. Tighten the top just a bit and see if that helps.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I keep my tensions on 2. Make sure everything is clean, remove plate above the bobbin and keep brushing. Turn the hand wheel towards front of machine and brush some more. If all the above fails try increasing the tension a bit at a time and check bottom of practice piece often. Practice piece is not the same as working on a quilt.
Timing the movement of the hands in time with the speed of machine is not always easy but, may help.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:03 PM

mine was doing the same thing. took it in for its annual exam and it ran GREAT when it came back. they get a bit off from time to time and it doesn't take much to ruin things and make you hoppin upset! hope it helps!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:47 PM

I ended up adjusting the top tension again and again--a bit higher each time. I have complained that I felt the top tension was 'off' the last two times I had my Janome serviced and was never really satisfied with their adjustments. It would always look fine on the tiny little single layer of fabric they use, and would seem too loose on whatever I was sewing. I guess I should have taken the bit between my teeth sooner. Today's FMQ was some of the best I have ever accomplished!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM

I don't know if you have two machines but if you do, try the other one. I have a Janome and an a 1987 Singer. The singer FMQ's awesome. The Janome, I have never gotten to FMQ. Why I don't know.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Seeing GingerK;s comment about having her machine adjusted and not being fully satisfied, made me think of something.

Have any of you had your machines set up for specific threads?

Berninas are always set to use Mettler thread ... not just at the factory, but when you have it in for any servicing. This may be the same for other machine brands too.

So, if you regularly use a different thread ask for your machine to be set for Aurifil (as in my case ... whatever your main thread brand is) which should then minimize your need to adjust tension for regular stitching.

Likewise, if you have a machine dedicated to FMQ and straight line quilting, have it set by the machine tech specifically for that and with your most-used thread.

These were things I never knew ... til my machine was in for a servicing and via a side-conversation with the shop owner, I learned about it. Yes, we then spoke with the tech and mad the change. Now to remember to mention it each time mine goes for service.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:41 AM

I have a Brother SQ9050....not a very expensive machine. I've read so many places that if the tension on the straight stitching is good, then the problem with the FMQ isn't tension....that said...talking about thread types. I'm going to go back to my regular C&C thread and see if it works. I've been using a extra large C&C spool and being at the end of the spool the thread gets really curly and 'sticky' so I'm going to start a new spool and see if that makes a difference. This is the type of thread I've been using and haven't had any issues with 'eyelashing'. Then with this particular quilt I want to be as perfect as possible, I read that other threads are very good for this and that. I'm very confused about thread types and weights...but I don't think my machine is liking the special threads like King Tut so I'll try different threads and post results. Babysitting tonight and tomorrow night so I won't be able to do any sewing till Friday. :-(((
Old 02-05-2014, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I have similar Brothers and they do fine FMQ with regular Coats and Clark. Maybe just changing the spool will help. Hope so.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 AM

The tension on my brother almost always needs adjustment when I go from regular sewing to FMQ. Just start playing with the tension a little at a time. I rarely need to change the lower tension. I also use whatever thread I have that is the color I want, as my Brother (xr-40) isn't picky. I often use serger thread for FMQ because it is thin and doesn't get stiff and bulky when I travel back across lines of stitching. Also you may want to look closer at the straight stitch area, on the short crossover line at the top you have the same problem to a lesser degree.

Last edited by Kat Sews; 02-05-2014 at 08:33 AM.