Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fons & Porter Subscription >

Fons & Porter Subscription

Fons & Porter Subscription

Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 AM

I subscribed to their Love of Quilting through a mail offer. It was for $16.97 (I had kept the offer and written on it the price. Good thing. I would never have remembered). The bill came & it was for $23+. I sent a check for $16.97 and wrote on the bill that the offer was for $16.97. I haven't heard from them, so I guess they accepted that price. Now I wonder if that was just a mistake, or do they always do that? If a second party does the billing, are they trying to make some money?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 AM

If you check your address on the label you can tell when you expire....it irritates me when I expire in S/O/10 and get renewals in N/D/09. I throw everything away until I get the "this is your last issue"....then that usually is the best price LOL I do love my magazines tho, thats my downtime when I get to go thru one.

The thing that soured me on Mark Lipinskis mag was joing the "pickle club" on the yahoo group...gee whiz, all they talked about was Mark's underwear or lack of it and that he was gay...don't really know if he is don't really careLOL. I cancelled out of it...JMO
Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I go to Barnes and Nobles once a month (alone!) and spend several hours browsing the quilt magazines. It's fun to sit and look at every new issue and be able to choose which one(s) I want to buy. Lately I've noticed the quilt magazine from other countries are super nice. No fast and easy quilts in those. I like reading the new quilt book reviews and then having the book right there to check it out for myself. B&N usually have the new quilt books.
The Australian and New Zealand magazines are very good.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:45 AM

I have that same pet peeve about Fons and Porter's. One month,when I was a subscriber, I thought I'd miss a month since I saw a mag. with a special CD in it at Joann's. Called and they sent me a replacement but it didn't have the CD, of course. Treat all your readers the same - subscribers or not.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 PM

I am having the same type problem with Fons and Porter magazine, only they are telling me my subscription that I paid for last may for 2 years had expired. I think maybe I finally got it resolved but I had to call the telephone number listed in the magazine, leave a message and wait for an answer that never came, then use the e-mail address listed under the subscription in the magazine. They got rather sarcastic in their replies also. I could not even access their website to order anything if I wanted to because "my subscription had expired." Go figure. I will not renew in the future. They blamed it on the fact that I had let my QNNTV subscription expire. Did that because it was not worth it.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM

There is another problem too, once you subscribe, then about 3 issues down the line they start sending mail like your subscription is up and if you don't actually look it up on a label, like I didn't, you might end up paying for a future year like I did on Quiltmaker, extending it to August of 11, which I did not intend to do because it is about my 4th favorite magazine. I write it up on a note and throw those "urgent" subscription notices in the trash until I am ready to plunk down more money.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
I paid for my subscription in nov. 2009 just got my 1st issue today and a bill was enclosed...I love F & P but had this same problem a few yrs ago and didn't renew for this very reason. Since Nov I have recieved 3 other invoices telling me to pay...I pd on line-does that make a differeance? This is the only magazine I ever have invoicing problems with..any suggestions?
I paid for a mag. from american quilters mag. online 3 times. and still got a bill. I finally called them and they said it was not paid online. it probably wasnt working right. I paid it by phone and it was ok. I checked my bank and it had not come thru., so it was not paid. But is now, by Card.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:56 AM

I've gotten frustrated with some of my mag subsc. too. I've had some for years & years - but seems in the last few yrs the problems have multiplied. I've gotten duplicate issues AND duplicate bills. I didn't get my bonus booklets when I renewed with F&P either. It took multiple calls to finally get them, they REALLY need to update their website & services !!
I just read my new F&P issue this weekend and it had a WOMENS CLOTHING AD booklet stuck in the middle. I don't subscribe to a QUILT mag to see clothing ads !! If I want to shop for clothes, I'll go to the store. I want to see QUILTS in my quilt magazines. Did this BOTHER anybody else or just me ??
Also, I thought the issue just wasn't very good. Didn't see one pattern I even liked. Seems like even they have gone to mostly fabric co/ designer projects, like Fabric Trends mag & The Quilter. I don't think I'll be renewing F&P again. :(
Old 03-15-2010, 06:59 AM

That's precisely why I quit subscribing to ALL magazines!!! The FUNNIEST is Fingerhut! My SIL ordered something for us and had it sent to our house...therefore, we get Fingerhut catalogs now. And about every other one says "This is your last catalog unless you order now!".!!!!! LOL - I've NEVER ordered from them and don't plan to! I wish they WOULD quit sending them!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
I've gotten frustrated with some of my mag subsc. too. I've had some for years & years - but seems in the last few yrs the problems have multiplied. I've gotten duplicate issues AND duplicate bills. I didn't get my bonus booklets when I renewed with F&P either. It took multiple calls to finally get them, they REALLY need to update their website & services !!
I just read my new F&P issue this weekend and it had a WOMENS CLOTHING AD booklet stuck in the middle. I don't subscribe to a QUILT mag to see clothing ads !! If I want to shop for clothes, I'll go to the store. I want to see QUILTS in my quilt magazines. Did this BOTHER anybody else or just me ??
Also, I thought the issue just wasn't very good. Didn't see one pattern I even liked. Seems like even they have gone to mostly fabric co/ designer projects, like Fabric Trends mag & The Quilter. I don't think I'll be renewing F&P again. :(
Yes, I saw that clothing catalogue included in my magazine, and it bothered me too. That's only one of the reasons I decided to start dropping my subscriptions as they come up for renewal. I was a little miffed by it. Also, the ads are getting heavier and heavier for other stuff. I know it's how they make their money, but c'mon, there has to be a limit. Then too, I'm tired of all the repeats in the patterns. When I look back at some of my older magazines I see the same patterns just done in different fabrics. I know I'm smart enough to figure out that I can make a quilt in as many fabrics as I want to, I don't need them to demo it for me. The other thing is that I have been getting some of them for so long now that it would be impossible for me to make all the quilts that I have bookmarked, in the time I have left. So, one by one they're biting the dust and I will turn back to the back issues to fulfill my pattern needs. I'm not talking about just F&P now, but every one of them. And just as you said, the patterns are getting sort of uninspirational. I think the problem is that we have been quilting so long now that there's very little left (in the magazines) to get all excited about the way we used to as newbies.