Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: foot pedal blues

I had the foot pedal blues - the foot pedal wouldn't stay in one place. I tried the rubberized shelf liner but that didn't work for me. I bought the really wide velcro (about 2 inches) - the kind that sticks. I used the side with the hooks (or some people call them loops) and attached to the bottom of my foot pedal and it really worked for me.

Blog Entries
    I can see how that would work better on carpet than the rubberized shelf liner.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the great tip :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I got a rubber mat with ridges. It holds the foot pedal on the right and a "pretend" pedal next to it (actually a pedal-shaped foot rest. It helps keep your hips aligned when you sew for long times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I got a rubber mat with ridges. It holds the foot pedal on the right and a "pretend" pedal next to it (actually a pedal-shaped foot rest. It helps keep your hips aligned when you sew for long times.
    This sounds like a good idea, especially for someone like me who has hip problems.

Blog Entries
    I bought a pedal mat at Hancock's Fabric and put the heavy duty stick on velco (hook side) on my food control. It doesn't move at all.

I use an old mouse pad, works for me...

I have a piece of wood behind mine

I just got a visualization of all the quilters around chasing their foot pedals at the same time!! :lol: :lol: All these legs stomping around looking for the thing!! :lol: :lol: Sorry weird sense of humor!

Blog Entries
    I chase my foot pedal around all the time :lol: :lol: I have my mothers old sewing machine and cabinet that has the knee control on it but alas, my machine won't fit in her cabinet. :cry: I would give my first born to have a cabinet that my machine would sit down level in, but in the meantime.....

I have an old shoe box under my sewing machine to keep my pedal from scooting on me.

What a great tip. Thanks for sharing.

Could you put a bead of silicone on the bottom and let it dry overnight. It may make it stop slipping.

I put Velcro dots on the bottom of mine. Because I am short and have to use a table to sew on, I found I was having problems with my back, hips, and neck. I put a large book about 5" thick under my left foot, and a book about 4" thick under the pedal. End of back and hip problems. 2 rubber door stops under the back of the machine to tilt it forward so I don't have to lean over the machine to sew got rid of my neck problems. Total cost, $2 for the door stops. Result, no more pain.

I wonder why the manufacturers don't address this situation. One of those things to put on the list when shopping for a new machine: needle down, bobbin-empty warning, non-slip pedal......

I have hardwood floors in my sewing room and neither of my sewing tables has a back on it to put a block or wood or box to hold the pedal in place. I tried the rubberized shelf liner and also one of the suction cup bar soap holders but they still slip and slide. Any other suggestions short of nailing it to the floor?

I have this problem too. I tried a mouse pad, didn't work. Now I have wood floors in the sewing room so still need to come up with a solution for me. :)

Another thing that keeps the foot petals from moving is the stuff they put in tool box drawers to keep tools from moving around. I have used it for years and love it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    any suggestions for hard wood floors, hubby put shelf liner down but dose not work. Penny

Blog Entries
    The pedal mat works great for carpet. For wood or tile I put a few strips of double sided tape on the back side of the mat. It doesn't hurt the wood flooring. I bought several when Hancock's Fabric had a 50% sale on notions.

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ped...ntrol-pad.aspx

At the last workshop I attended I found out about the rubber doorstops. They are great! Got them at my local Dollar Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
    I do the same thing as Suzie does. My husband cut it wide enough to have it brought out far enough from the wall behind my machine and it works great. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have the wall as a brace for the wood.

Blog Entries
    I got so frustrated I finally put nails in the floor to cage the sucker! Really!

My next project is to glue side walls on the white parts either side of the black plate. I'm constantly groping for the "sweet spot" and having shoes catch on either side. ArgggggH. This too, shall be overcome!

Into your cage, Fang
    Name:  Attachment-62201.gif
Views: 15
Size:  90.4 KB

Now stay!
    Name:  Attachment-62211.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  46.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ReeneeD
    At the last workshop I attended I found out about the rubber doorstops. They are great! Got them at my local Dollar Store.
    Know what else those door stops are good for? When you really want to see your work up close, put two door stops in behind your machine to have the bed tilted towards you!

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
    This was my thought, too. Set something heavy in front of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast