Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Foot Pedal

Blog Entries
    My sewing machine's food pedal is angled. From most pictures I've seen, people use them from the side that has their foot pointed up. I use mine the other way around. I find that mine doesn't slide around as much that way. What do you guys do?

Blog Entries
    I have used them with my foot angled up, down, I have even placed it under my thighs when I was having back problems LMBO Whatever works, right? :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    My machine has a start/stop button. I am trying to get used to it but so far, I'm chasing the pedal. I am also trying to learn to use the knee lift. A gal at the class the other day told me that I need to use my left foot for the gas so I can knee lift with my righ. It's like learning to drive the stick shift all over again.

Blog Entries
    I use mine in a VERY unique way. I don't have the use of my feet. mine is attached to my sewing table so I can use my knee to control it. My husband laughed when he first seen what I did, but I wasn't about to give up sewing just because I couldn't use my feet. I actually found that I liked it better this way much easier to control and not as tiring.

Good idea, donkeyed! That would be less tiring that using a foot. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Wow this has been my one concern there will be a day when I will no longer be able to use the lower half of my body and thought I would not be able to quilt anymore!! Thank you so much for giving me hope!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyed
    I use mine in a VERY unique way. I don't have the use of my feet. mine is attached to my sewing table so I can use my knee to control it. My husband laughed when he first seen what I did, but I wasn't about to give up sewing just because I couldn't use my feet. I actually found that I liked it better this way much easier to control and not as tiring.

Mine is angled toward me. It doesn't slip as much that way. When I used it the other way it kept slipping away from me.

JT
    That's the way the sewing machines used to be in cabinets. The first machine I had, had a knee control lever. What goes around, comes around...... :)

How did you attach the pedal to the sewing machine so it doesn't slip off? I would rather have mine up too.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    My machine has a start/stop button. I am trying to get used to it but so far, I'm chasing the pedal. I am also trying to learn to use the knee lift. A gal at the class the other day told me that I need to use my left foot for the gas so I can knee lift with my righ. It's like learning to drive the stick shift all over again.
    Do you mean a knee lift that lifts your presser foot? If I tried using my left for the pedal and right for the knee lift I would have a rough time, cause you don't usually sew when the presser foot is up. I think you will do fine using your right foot for the gas and right knee for the lifter.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Mine is angled toward me. It doesn't slip as much that way. When I used it the other way it kept slipping away from me.
    Try putting some of that rubber cabinet "shelf paper" made by rubbermaid underneath. Helps with the slippage.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I used to have a Singer Golden Touch & Sew 640. It was in a wonderful desk/cabinet. The foot pedal fitted into a holder to the right underneath the opening for you to sit. There was a bar that hung down against which you pressed your knee. This was a wonderful way to sew. I loved that machine to death as it's regular sewing foot was a perfect 1/4". Now, the regular feet are wider. It was a slant style or I would have kept the foot for my next machine. I went through a boatload of junky machines before falling in love with my first Janome. Now I have the Janome 6600 & I still keep trying to use the knee lif bar to make the machine sew! :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    How did you attach the pedal to the sewing machine so it doesn't slip off? I would rather have mine up too.
    I took the pedal apart and screwed the base to the leg of my sewing table, then reassembled it. there were even holes already in the base that worked great. My sister copied my idea but she was afraid to take it apart so she glued velcro to the bottom of the foot pedal and the matching piece to the table leg. her way works great then if she needs to take her machine to class she can. and the velcro helps with the sliding problem also.