Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
four patch blocks >

four patch blocks

four patch blocks

Old 12-17-2013, 04:24 PM

It must not be just you and me, everyone seems to know what to do..lol I watch the tutorials and they don't seem to have our problem. What gives??
Old 12-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

It's also possible that your fabric is shrinking if you are using steam.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
I agree making them a tad bigger and cutting down is the answer, more time consuming but accurate. If they seem to shrink maybe your iron is to hot? If using steam, DON'T. The method in your link I've used, and it works if you can get that middle seam correct.
I usually do (if possible) make any block bigger and take the time to trim them down perfectly after they have been starched and pressed. I always assumed that using steam and not prewashing fabric, that they shrunk a tiny bit smaller. It does take time to trim but then you have perfectly size blocks. Good Luck !!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:42 PM

I think the 2 most important things when piecing, is the cutting and the 1/4 in. seam. Even a 1/8 in. goof, can be a big mistake at the end of a row. I am not the quilt police, but until we can get that right, we are going to have problems getting things to fit. Which I have to say, I sometimes do. But everytime this happens I hear my Dear Mother say " If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!"
Old 12-18-2013, 03:55 AM

I agree, you think it would be easy, but not for me either. Mine was with a 5 in. solid block and a 4 patch 5 in. to match up to it. Some matched up, some didn't. Don't understand it either............
Old 12-18-2013, 04:29 AM

If you can't get a 4-patch to be exact, you will never be able to make 9-patchs, can't trim those, or anything with triangles. work on the accuracy of the 4-patch until you get it right. I test my 1/4 in seam allowance by cutting a piece of 1/4 grid graph paper so I have a good edge to put against my seam guide or the 1/4 in foot guide. lower the needle until it nears piercing the paper. I adjust my needle until I can get it to go through just to the right of the 1/4 in line. Then sew down the graph paper for three or four inches to check that you are staying online. Now sew a four path together and if it is accurate mark the line on the dial used to change to needle position. If that didn't work, move the needle a tiny bit more and test again.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
Easiest thing in the world to make, right: sew the strips together, subcut the strips and sew them together, and voila - a four patch unit. Well, not for me. No matter how carefully I cut, sew, and press, my 4-patch never seems to come out square or the right size. Sometimes they're as much as 1/8 inch too small. I'm making the 54-40 or fight block and I need them to be the right size. I've tried moving my needle and using thinner thread. So my question is: has anybody used this method:

http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...ch_quilt_units

Or does anyone have another "sure-fire" way to make the perfect 4 patch. I'm tired of "fudging" or "making do". I want my 4 patches to be right, darn it.
Thanks
Have you watched Jennie Doan's easy-peasy 4 patch You Tube video?? If not, give that a try..following her method, they come out AOK for me..
Old 12-18-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
Easiest thing in the world to make, right: sew the strips together, subcut the strips and sew them together, and voila - a four patch unit. Well, not for me. No matter how carefully I cut, sew, and press, my 4-patch never seems to come out square or the right size. Sometimes they're as much as 1/8 inch too small. I'm making the 54-40 or fight block and I need them to be the right size. I've tried moving my needle and using thinner thread. So my question is: has anybody used this method:

http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...ch_quilt_units

Or does anyone have another "sure-fire" way to make the perfect 4 patch. I'm tired of "fudging" or "making do". I want my 4 patches to be right, darn it.
Thanks
This method is new to me. It looks interesting. I'll have to give it a try.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Go to the tutorial section on this site. There is a tutorial for making four patches. I made one and put 4 four patches together, some thought they were 9 patches, there was 16 patches to make up a square. I don't second cut them, just leave as 4 patch. I was using 3-1/2" squares of scraps.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 AM

I find that starching my fabrics prior to cutting really helps with accuracy.