Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW SWAP! Disappearing Four Patch quilt blocks!

NEW SWAP! Disappearing Four Patch quilt blocks!

Welcome all to our new MONTHLY DISAPPEARING FOUR PATCH quilt block swap. I hope everyone has fun and enjoys themselves so everyone will be happy with their blocks.

Here’s how it works: we will all be making 8 1/2" unfinished D4P quilt blocks in a different theme each month. You may make as few or as many sets of D4P blocks as you like. One set equals 6 D4P blocks. You may make as many as 6 sets of 6 blocks which would be thirty-six (36) D4P blocks. Wow! That’s a lot of quilt blocks. Imagine how cool that quilt will be??? I know! Right??? In case you have never made a D4P quilt block, here are the instructions:

http://sewwonderful.blogspot.com/2010/02/disappearing-4-patch-or-4-to-9-patch.html

Our theme for November is 30’s reproduction prints.

Please use 100% cotton, quilt quality fabric to make your quilt blocks. Please PM me by the 20th of each month to sign up. Please provide:
    · QB screen name
    · Real name
    · Number of sets you are making/sending
    · Email address
    · Phone number

After I have received all of the info I will add you to the list of swappers and E-MAIL you a message with shipping instructions. Set(s) of D4P quilt blocks will be due by the 20th of the next month.

Mailing: please put blocks in a large ziploc baggie along with your name and address on/in the bag. This will help protect your blocks in case your package is damaged. Please purchase a USPS Priority Mail® Padded Flat Rate Envelope (9-1/2" x 12-1/2") for $5.95 and fill out your name/address etc. This will be your return envelope so be sure to fill out the info completely and put it in your package as well!

Basic swap rules may be found here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-20154-1.htm
    Last edited by jclinganrey; 11-12-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: link was wrong
    Jane

It sounds fun! But the link says the page does not exist~~ ??
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Jane

sounds fun, too bad I don't like the 30's fabric. I will watch for another month to join in.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

I'm interested. I have a couple of questions. Are all of the fabrics the same in each set of six? And can one fabric be 30s and the other white or should both fabrics in the four patch be 30s? Oh, and one more, I suppose it would depend on how much interest, but would we be receiving any of our own blocks back or should we make extras for ourselves? Thanks in advance and what a great swap idea!

Hi Madbury - -

So glad you posted your questions! The second fabric in the 4-patch should be white or a white tone-on-tone. You may use a different 30's fabric for each of your quilt blocks if you like. Yes, it depends on how many swappers sign up whether or not you will get any of your blocks back.

Here's a picture:

Name:  D4P block.JPG
Views: 1570
Size:  69.6 KB

I just chose 30's to get things started. What other kinds of themes sound like fun?

Thanks!

Jane
    Jane

Other Themes:
    Floral
    Solid primary colors with white
    Solid primary colors with black
    Pastels with white
    Blue and white
    Red and white
    Children's prints
    Animal prints
    Fall fabrics
    Christmas fabrics

Batiks
    summer fun
    purple and white

Just a few more ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
    Other Themes:
    Floral
    Solid primary colors with white
    Solid primary colors with black
    Pastels with white
    Blue and white
    Red and white
    Children's prints
    Animal prints
    Fall fabrics
    Christmas fabrics
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

I love D4P but I'm so busy with making presents I won't be able to participate until January. Please put me on your list for the January swap. Thanks for starting this swap.

Thanks for the good ideas! I'll add those to my list. I am also thinking of:

Civil War reproduction
    Batiks - in specific decided-on colors
    Asian style
    Black & White with red

Stitch 124 - - - if you decide you need a break from your gift making, I hope you'll jump in. Even one set could be a welcome relief to whatever you're working on.

Also - - - I think I'll plan on posting a picture each month because we're visual people, right??

Jane
    Jane

I'll join in - not sure how many sets yet. I'll go through my stash next week before I sign up and let you know. Thanks for hosting - this'll be a fun one!

Sounds great, but with impending surgery and out of commission for 6 months, I'll bow out on this one. Sniffle! Sniffle!

I have a question,once we sign up the blocks will be due by Dec 20th ?
    PMarch

Quote Originally Posted by letsquilt View Post
    I have a question,once we sign up the blocks will be due by Dec 20th ?
    Yes. Sign-ups are by November 20th and the set(s) of quilt blocks are due by DECEMBER 20th.

Hope you see you jump on board!

Jane
    Jane

I have no idea if my vintage fabrics are 30s or 30s reproductions or not. How do I determine which ones would work for this swap?

why not post the fabrics for the leader to say if its the right stuff? or who is making them?
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Oh I love the 30's repros! I would love to do this, but I will have to let you know how many sets. I don't want to promise more than I will be able to do.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

This sounds like fun, Jane. I can't join this month, but will watch and join in future months.
    Other themes might include:
    beach
    Oriental
    Tea cups/tea pots
    Spring time
    holidays
    dolls
    bears
    fairies/dragons/fantasy
    Paris
    food
    lady bugs

This sounds like alot of fun and it has been a long time since I did a swap,I am thinking,thinking,thinking!

Jane -- I have a few 5" charm squares left over from a kit. I could make those up and cut down to send...but not sure if I'd have a set of 6 squares. I'll check and let you know. Is it worth exchanging 1 set?!

Also, I vote for the Black/White/Red D4P in January. My SIL is a UGA fan and I have yet to make him a quilt. I think a D4P would be perfect for him, plus I have lots of bk/wh/red fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
    Thanks for the good ideas! I'll add those to my list. I am also thinking of:

Civil War reproduction
    Batiks - in specific decided-on colors
    Asian style
    Black & White with red

Stitch 124 - - - if you decide you need a break from your gift making, I hope you'll jump in. Even one set could be a welcome relief to whatever you're working on.

Also - - - I think I'll plan on posting a picture each month because we're visual people, right??

Jane

Here is who we have so far:

madbury
    lauriejo

cbridges22 (thinking, thinking. .. )
    letsquilt ??
    mom-6 ??
    (and me, of course!)

Stitch124 - yes, of course! One set would be wonderful! I hope to add you to our list.

Mom-6 - - here are some examples of 30's reproduction fabrics:

Name:  MODA playtime 30's.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  86.1 KB

Here is a resource I use frequently: http://www.quiltshops.com/index.html

Click on 'item search', enter 30's reproduction or feedsack then click on thumbnail and you'll get pages and pages of pictures. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, please ask.

Jane
    Jane

I have 30s fabrics in my stash. I also have some fabric that I'm not sure of so I'm including a pic. That'll help me decide how many sets I'll do. I have some 30s fat quarters and one fat quarter would be a set but I would want to keep one because I like the fabric obviously!

anyway - would like your thoughts on these. The far left is actually feedsack so I think it ought to work?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  303.3 KB

Ok, I'm also really tempted here. I'm just recovering from knee replacement surgery and feel ready to do some sewing.. this might fit into my current abilities. Smiles. I would feel badly if I promised more than I can deliver, but I'm wondering what if I end up able to send extra sets? Is that allowed?
    Also, in reviewing the pattern, I notice two things that bring up questions. First, you said use white. Is that mandatory or just preferable? On the instructions, she used a nice fabric that wasn't white and I really preferred that look. (not a big fan of lots of white in quilts) Second, she also mentioned the different looks one can get by changing how far the cuts are made from the center seam. Are we strictly sticking to the 1" or are variations allowed?
    Thanks in advance for your reply, it will help me decide whether to join in. This will only be my second ever swap if I take the plunge.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I have been playing around with this today,think I will join and do 3 sets
    PMarch

Thanks for the pictures!
    And thanks wildyard for asking a couple questions I had too.
    Will be awaiting the answers.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast