Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW SWAP! Disappearing Four Patch quilt blocks!

Will PM you. Know I should be able to get at least one or two sets done. Maybe more depending on how everything else in my life fits in.

Yeah!! Sent you the info. We're up to twelve and counting! How exciting!! We still have 2 more days. . . .

Jane
    Jane

Sorry but did I miss a post regarding the other color of fabric? Will it be white or off white?
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Blog Entries
    I spent a couple of hours this afternoon sliceing and diceing and sewing my samples. I did find out something that may or not help out. In order to finish your block to the full 8 1/2" size, you really have to sew your seams with a "scant" quarter inch. Rather then fight that seam, I cut my squares 5 1/8th " and still sewed a scant 1/4th". I had to square it and had to cut off just a bit but it is now 8 1/2" square. Now I have to work on getting those tiny seams in the middle to behave.
    I am getting really excited about this swap. So...what is the theme for the Dec. swap?
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Thanks for the tip about cutting and sewing. I'll be sure to check what size my finished blocks are ending up. I hope everyone in the swap reads your post! :-) It's so nice to avoid problems ahead of time, so that sewing the blocks into a top will go smoother.

I bought the fabric today and chose prints from more than one company in the hope that it would make a difference in not choosing what someone else chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelco View Post
    Sorry but did I miss a post regarding the other color of fabric? Will it be white or off white?
    Hi there Nelco - - - please use a white or a white tone-on-tone and be sure that both 30's fabrics are the same in each block. Any other questions, please let me know. I posted a sample picture early on in this thread. That should help.

I will be posting a picture along with the particulars etc. for our DECEMBER swap after Nov 20th. It's going to be really fun.

Jane
    Jane

I'm going to have to sit this one out after all. Sorry about that. I'll try to catch you next time.
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

Moonrise - - - sorry to hear it but will look forward to having you in the future. Keep your eyes open for the next one. Maybe it might work into your schedule.

Jane
    Jane

We have 12 and have one more day to sign up! This is so (sew) exciting! Please feel free to send your packages as soon as you'd like. Since the due date is December 20th, I will be sending your swapped blocks back to you after Christmas.

Here's a hint for next months' swap: it includes black & white and white & blacks prints. hehehehehe

So start digging in your stash! I'll be posting a picture of our December swap after the 20th. I got the idea from a wonderful quilt made by one of our fellow QB members. I'll share her name when I post the picture.

Jane
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
    I spent a couple of hours this afternoon sliceing and diceing and sewing my samples. I did find out something that may or not help out. In order to finish your block to the full 8 1/2" size, you really have to sew your seams with a "scant" quarter inch. Rather then fight that seam, I cut my squares 5 1/8th " and still sewed a scant 1/4th". I had to square it and had to cut off just a bit but it is now 8 1/2" square. Now I have to work on getting those tiny seams in the middle to behave.
    I am getting really excited about this swap. So...what is the theme for the Dec. swap?
    Thanks for the tip. I made one with your tips and had to trim just a bit. my other 5 are cut and ready to sew together.,
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Quote Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
    We have 12 and have one more day to sign up! This is so (sew) exciting! Please feel free to send your packages as soon as you'd like. Since the due date is December 20th, I will be sending your swapped blocks back to you after Christmas.

Here's a hint for next months' swap: it includes black & white and white & blacks prints. hehehehehe

So start digging in your stash! I'll be posting a picture of our December swap after the 20th. I got the idea from a wonderful quilt made by one of our fellow QB members. I'll share her name when I post the picture.

Jane
    I love black-on-white and white-on-black. I already have some Fabric for at least one set.
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    I'll look this morning and see if I have any 30's and will let you know today. Sounds fun

Blog Entries

right choice?

Not sure can someone let me know if these will work???Name:  DSCF1696.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  1.23 MB

PM just sent board leader. My first swap ever, so I am excited to see what comes back in return. Are the blocks received during the coming months supposed to go into making one single quilt or should we make other 30's blocks to put with the ones we get in the mail??? Also if I get more than 2 sets completed, do I need to notify the leader or just mail them by Dec. 20th??? I do not want to obligate myself during this busy season with more sets than I can get done. I am leaving home to help a dear friend on the west coast through a major surgery. I am going to Port Orchard, Washington, anyone know of a quilt shop or two near by? Enough noise, let's have fun!!!

Question on making a 8 1/2" block - can I use 4 - 5" charm squares, after sewing, that makes a 9" block then I just have to cut it down to be 8 1/2" square correct?

yeah -- helps to read the link with the tutorial !

Now - anxious to see next Month's pic!! Jane -- it's the 20th!!!

Stitch124 - sounds like the tutorial answered your question. Hope so. One of our other posts suggests sewing a scant 1/4" seam too.

We might have as many as 15 people signed up!!! (working out some final details with one member) I can't tell you how excited I am. I'm so thrilled with the response. Thank you all for participating.

OK. Drum roll please. . . .

The theme for our DECEMBER swap is black & white/white& black with bright colors. Here's the pic:

Name:  D4P quilt by Barnbum QB.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  778.4 KB

This was made by QB member Barnbum. Isn't is great???

I will be posting a new thread for our DECEMBER swap later today, so please be sure to look for it in the swaps section. It will have all the details, etc.

Jane
    Jane

EWWWWW! So Pretty!!!!!

Jaba, from left to right in your picture, the third green print and the last green print both look like 60's or 70's calicos to me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks givio, I actually have not a clue and just found out none of them are right. None of the quilt shops within 70 miles from me have 30's, no wonder I have not a clue. Have worked it out I think and will make some sets, happy days I'll know what they are and I'll either like them or not but I will know for sure. Now the black and white with brights, Oh yeah, for sure!!! Thanks to our fearless leader she is helping me out with this and trading some FQ's so I can trade with all of you. Thank you j

I have to say, I would never have pegged some of my fabrics as 30s, however, let me be quick to add, they all came from charm packs very clearly marked "30s Charm Pack".
    There were plaids, dots, and some [sort of] geometrics along with the expected florals. Other of the charms were so typically 30s I never had a doubt. Smiles and hugs to all!
    I have a quilt made of 30s, 40s and a very few 50s fabrics, all from feed sacks. My grandmother started it and my mother finished it. As a young girl, I remember waiting for the feed delivery so my sisters and I could pick out the bags we wanted them to leave to get the least ugly fabrics. If none of us were there, the delivery guys would leave the ugliest ones that no one else would want. LOL We had to be picky, we were going to be wearing those sacks to school!!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Lovely, Nelco!

I will be watching for the december sign up. I love the brights with black/white.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Good morning all!

Here is the list of swappers for the 30's D4P:

Givio 5 sets
    Grandma Cindy 2 sets
    happylab - 4 sets
    lauriejo 2 sets
    letsquilt - 3 sets
    Likethedog 2 sets
    madbury - 5 sets
    mom-6 1 set
    Nelco 2 sets
    Stitch124 - 2 sets
    Sunrise450 - 6 sets
    Tubsfam 2 sets
    wildyard 4 sets
    (and me, of course!)

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's quilt blocks! This is going to be loads of fun.

I posted the new swap for December. Please look in the SWAPS section.

Thanks everyone - - --

Jane
    Jane

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast