Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW SWAP! Disappearing Four Patch quilt blocks!

Madbury - - -

In your pic, from left to right, I would say all but the second fabric (the teal w/ the gold flowers). Any of the other fabrics would be great.

wildyard - -

I'm so excited you're thinking about jumping in (but careful with that knee!) lol

I think it would be better to underestimate the number of sets than to OVERestimate. Worst case scenario - you might end up getting some of your own blocks back.

For the fabric color choices, please use either a white or a white tone-on-tone to make the four-patch. Please follow the cutting instructions in the link; 1 inch on either side of the center seam. In future swaps, we might mess around with the cutting instructions. For this one, let's keep it all the same. That way, our quilt blocks will all play well together.

We will definitely be using other themes and color combinations in future swaps. I am always happy to have ideas and suggestions as others have posted. Keep 'em coming gals!
    Jane

Ok, I just counted and I have 28 5" squares. I think that would make a total of 16 - 8" blocks...= 2 sets of 6 blocks, plus a couple extra. Is that right?

Most of the 28 squares, there are 2 of each fabric design. Should the blocks be made so that they match or can the colored squares be different designs. I think there are either 2 or 4 squares that are onsies...i.e. only one of that design. In that case I could mix two on one block.

Please let me know what is the most esthetically acceptable for what everyone wants.

Thanks,
    Julie
    Last edited by Stitch124; 11-14-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Update on who we have so far:

madbury
    lauriejo

cbridges22 (thinking, thinking. .. )
    letsquilt - 3 sets
    mom-6 ??
    happylab - 4 sets
    (and me, of course!)
    Stitch124 - 2 sets

Stitch124 - good questions! Hhhhmmm, getting out the trusty calculator. If you set your 'onsies' aside for another project, you would have 24 five inch charm squares. 24/2 = 12/6 per set = 2 sets. Yeah!!!

Please take a look at the picture I posted as an example.

This is going to be so much fun!!! Can't wait to see all these great quilt blocks.

Jane
    Jane

Blog Entries
    I have collected 30's for the past 2-3 years and have quite a bit. I have never seen a quilt consisting of the d4p. Could someone post where I can see one? I can do 6 sets easily but I need to understand exactly what you want. Okay, 1 set would consist of 6 d4p blocks, all the same. In return I would receive 6 d4p blocks, all different. Is this correct?
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

I too will watch. Don't have any 30's fab. Maybe in December?..
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 3 cats, Callie, Buddy & Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Let me see how this weekend's fair goes, and I'll let you know. If it's slow, I should have some time next week to make some blocks. (I've got/had fairs every weekend from early October - December 14, so I haven't been able to join many swaps lately.)
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

Are the 6 block in a set supposed to be all the same fabric (with white)? Or are they supposed to be 6 blocks that all look different? Or can they be a combination, for example, 2 blocks made with one fabric and 4 blocks made with another fabric? I think I'd like to join, but I'm not quite sure what is required!

Also, can it be real, authentic 30's fabric, or must it be newly purchased reproduction fabric?

Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
    I have collected 30's for the past 2-3 years and have quite a bit. I have never seen a quilt consisting of the d4p. Could someone post where I can see one? I can do 6 sets easily but I need to understand exactly what you want. Okay, 1 set would consist of 6 d4p blocks, all the same. In return I would receive 6 d4p blocks, all different. Is this correct?
    Good morning, sunrise450 - -

I posted a picture earlier in this thread to show an example of how one block would look. You may make 1 set with all the same 30's fabric or you may 'mix 'em up' - - - each block in 1 set might have a different 30's fabric - so long as you use the same 30's fabric per block. Please don't use 2 different 30's fabric in the same block.

If you use the same 30's fabric for all 6 blocks in 1 set and you are planning on sending more than 1 set, please use a different fabric in each set.

Check this out:

Name:  D4P thirties quilt.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  41.8 KB

Hope that helps!

Jane
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post
    Also, can it be real, authentic 30's fabric, or must it be newly purchased reproduction fabric?
    Wow!! Authentic 30's fabric would be an amazing treasure but certainly not required. Please use whichever works for you.

Jane
    Jane

Oh! I love the plain colored one! Let's do that one month! :-) With black is very striking!

Carolynjo - I look forward to having you participate when you're able. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery. I hope you look on from the sidelines!

Jane
    Jane

Update to the update on who we have so far:

madbury - 2 sets
    lauriejo - ?? sets

letsquilt - 3 sets
    mom-6 ??
    happylab - 4 sets
    Stitch124 - 2 sets

Sunrise450 - 6 sets
    moonrise - ??
    Givio - ??
    Likethedog - 1 (maybe 2)
    wildyard - ??
    (and me, of course!)

If I missed anyone please let me know. This is really getting exciting!! It looks like we have enough people so that you won't be getting any of your own blocks back.

Jane
    Jane

ok, I'm in, I will sign up for 4 sets. I found some partial 30's charm packs that were gifted to me and they are perfect for this swap!!! I had tucked them away for the perfect occasion and here it is!
    Since they are only partial sets, I won't be able to make 6 alike, but they will all go together.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I'll be in for more than two sets, but need to look at my yardage and will confirm.

Update to the update on who we have so far:

madbury - 5 sets
    lauriejo - ?? sets

letsquilt - 3 sets
    mom-6 ??
    happylab - 4 sets
    Stitch124 - 2 sets
    Sunrise450 - 6 sets
    moonrise - ??
    Givio - ??
    Likethedog - 1 (maybe 2)
    wildyard - 4 sets
    (and me, of course!)

Remember - the last date to sign up is this coming Wednesday, Nov. 20th and your quilt blocks are due by December 20th. Sooner is fine.

I will PM my address to you when you PM me the requested information. That will make it all 'official.'

This is getting exciting!!

Jane
    Jane

After reading all the post and looking at the pattern sign me up for 2 sets (that would be 12 blocks correct?)
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Quote Originally Posted by Nelco View Post
    After reading all the post and looking at the pattern sign me up for 2 sets (that would be 12 blocks correct?)
    Yes, Nelco and welcome aboard! This is going to be a really great swap. The more, the better. Please PM me the needed info and I'll PM you my address.

Sew excited to have you participating!

Jane
    Jane

On the 20th, I will post the list of swappers who have confirmed with me by PMing me their information. I will trim the list of those with ???s then we should have our list. At the moment, it looks like we have 10 swappers. I'm still waiting to receive PM information from a few gals. Remember - - - the more, the better!

For those of you who had to bow out, we will miss you and look forward to having you in a future swap.

Jane
    Jane

Also on the 20th, I will post a picture of our swap for DECEMBER which will hopefully get lots of quilters excited. It's going to be a doozy!! hehehehehe

Jane
    Jane

The craft fair was a total flop (barely broke even, by the time you count the booth fee and the 2-hour roundtrip drive), which was disappointing, but on the good side, I'll have some time to join this swap. I'll check my stash ASAP and will let you know how many sets by tomorrow evening or early Tuesday morning.
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

I just sent you a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
    Yes, Nelco and welcome aboard! This is going to be a really great swap. The more, the better. Please PM me the needed info and I'll PM you my address.

Sew excited to have you participating!

Jane
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Yeah!!! Sorry your craft fair was a disappointment but happy you'll be playing with us.

Jane
    Jane

Thanks Nelco. Got it. We're up to 11!! How cool is that??? I have to admit I didn't know what kind of response to expect for this swap. I'm really glad we have a good sized group.

We sill have a few more days to sign up. Nudge nudge - - -

Jane
    Jane

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast