Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FQ'S at walmart >

FQ'S at walmart

FQ'S at walmart

Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Grammie Arlene
Originally Posted by martha jo
The nearest town to me only had fabric at Wal Mart. When it started disappearing at the larger stores there was a loud outcry to our small country store to not discontinue it. They promised that it would stay. A few months later they remodeled and filled most of the store with beer, wine and pop. No fabric. I am weaning myself from Wal Mart. There food is all going generic also - yuk!
I noticed that about the food also. I agree "yuk"
I saw on the Internet news last week that Walmart was going back to some of their food brands as Great Value brand food was not selling as well and WM customers just would not buy GV. So WM actually listened to how/what their customers buy.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM

I know some of the GV products at WalMart must be good but their generic for Splenda really caused my body a lot of pain, just like the 'blue sugars' I can't remember the names ..well, anyway, I suffered so much the doc said he was calling it fibromyalgia (sp?). Well a nurse friend of mine gave me the challenge to use the real Splenda for two weeks. By the fourth day, my body pain was much less and now it is gone. I wont buy anything in the little yellow package without seeing what it is made of. Imagine trying to make the consumer buy something just by looking at the color.........guilty, here and I suffered for it. I'll hush. Thanks and Blessings to all, Ruth
Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by krazy4quilts
They are remodeling our wal mart..............get this fabric department. Making room for more fabric. YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! They dont sell FQ's at my wal mart but the other one does on the west side of town.
WM just got rid of fabric in past week or so in Greenville SC
I managed to miss it somehow as I am not a WM lover
Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
No fabric anymore at our local WalMart.
Interestingly a few days ago there was a news report that they had stopped selling some items. There was so much complaining that they quickly restocked the items.
How come that didn't work with the fabric department?
I'm betting that the profit margin is not as big on fabric as it is on other stuff!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
No fabric anymore at our local WalMart.
Interestingly a few days ago there was a news report that they had stopped selling some items. There was so much complaining that they quickly restocked the items.
How come that didn't work with the fabric department?
If you get a whole bunch of people to go in and complain to the manager, they might put it in. That happened at my daughter's local WM supercenter in the mountains in NC. They have to go 20 miles for fabric, and that's to a high priced LQS. 26 miles the other direction gets them to a regular fabric store.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:47 PM

Our Walmart still has fabric but doesn't carry any precuts, won't cut fat quarters etc., They sell only from the bolt. Another Walmart about 35 miles away does not have a fabric department but they sell FQs, Charm packs, jelly rolls, backing fabric (prepackaged) and some quilt kits. Thank goodness for internet shopping!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:35 PM

The WM near me still has fabric on the bolt...no precuts, at least that I've seen. They did a remodel a couple of years ago and at the time, customers were told they were losing the fabric dept. The manager of that dept. told her customers to write the company, which many did. The fabric dept. is still there...a little smaller that before, but there! Fabric is about the only thing I shop WM for, and maybe a few health and beauty items. I shop the Fareway Food Store across the street from them for groceries...
Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM

It started when I lived in the south. Lots of WM's took out their fabric depts. We moved up here 2 years ago. NONE of the new WM"s have any form of fabric in. No precuts, no bolts. One aisle with a handful of yarns, needles, hooks, threads, scissors and some ribbon.

My closest WM just got rid of theirs with no intent to put anything craft oriented there. There is still one here in the area I went to last weekend. I couldn't get over the low prices and the high quality! FQ's, bundles, layer cakes, jelly rolls, bolted fabrics in the quantities of what 2 WM hold here. I'm a happy girl. They are doing their remodel next year. The clerk said so far, they are going to keep it. She agreed it depended on the sales.

WM got rid of their layaways the same time they got rid of the fabric dept. when we lived in OK. Since then, every Christmas, I save my receipts for Christmas dinner and all the Christmas presents including wrapping and bows and photo copy them. I send them to Walmart every year. I never, ever buy any Christmas gifts or food at Walmart at all. I continually contact their customer service dept. The last couple of years they've sent me a gift card as a good faith offering. I send it right back. I still get some groceries there, but I ad match everything I can. If the other WM across town gets rid of their section, I will start saving my receipts from online shopping etc. of fabric and notions. Maybe if you can add up all that money we are spending in other stores it would matter .... idk...just my opinion I guess.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 PM

I agree...I think that the food quality is now fair to poor. I buy a lot of fresh vegetables and Wal-Mart's are awful. I never liked the way the produce was displayed either. Even though they supposedly cut prices, it doesn't give them the right to just throw stuff into bins with no care at all as to attractiveness and appeal to customers.

I shop for all my groceries at HEB. I only go to Wal-Mart in desparation.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Our nearest Walmarts have all stopped carrying fabric. Since I quilt for charity, I really miss them.

Margie