Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FQ'S at walmart >

FQ'S at walmart

FQ'S at walmart

Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM

havent read all of this thread, but i found out last week that after our walmart remodels at the end of this year, we will no longer have a fabric department. I don't buy a lot there, but i know there are people that can only get their fabric there. The lady also said there was an article in our paper that said by the year 2018, all fabric will be milled in foreign countries. how sad for out textile industries.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by sewmom
havent read all of this thread, but i found out last week that after our walmart remodels at the end of this year, we will no longer have a fabric department. I don't buy a lot there, but i know there are people that can only get their fabric there. The lady also said there was an article in our paper that said by the year 2018, all fabric will be milled in foreign countries. how sad for out textile industries.
if
Old 03-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by sewmom
If they stop selling fabric at WM I will have to stop buying cause I can't afford to shop the LQS.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:24 PM

Our Wallyworld has its fat quarters for .25, jellyrolls are 5. to 15. each. They closed 2 fabric depts locally within the last year. our Walmart is one of the next to go. Down in Bentonville they told me that they are going to bring in fabric in 1 yard cuts, in sealed plastic bags. Probably gonna cheap crud that they can make a fortune off of if it sells. I will quit buying fabric there if they do that. I don't buy much from Walmarts anymore, the price have doubled plus down here.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 PM

my only other suggestion is then to sign up on ebay or another site and watch the clearance and auctions on fabric and only buy from sellers who do not charge $5 and up for shipping when you have just purchased a yard for $3 or less. they do have reputable sellers who can put orders and send in a flat shipping envelope from post office or a flat ship box which hold much more. I am currently doing my first attemps at quilting with fabric I myself bought on ebay, and let me tell you that seller really knew how to stuff that envelope. My post master complained they would send back the next, her post master called them and straightened them out!! Along with fabric I have collected over the years. I was an OTR for 14yrs. Now I take care of mom whose health declined 5 years ago now and a stroke a yr and half ago which left her bedriiden. I honestly am confined her with her due to her condition and rarely see a real store but once every 3 months when my boyfriend is around! He gives me a break so I can do some real shopping other then the neighborhood mom and pop store in town.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 AM

just searched (discount fabric supplies) on line. I have aol free search since I already have a telephone modem for yahoo which I don't like. I just purchased 10 yrds of fabric included free shipping!! YIPPEE!! for $39.80 shipping is free if your purchase is $35 at http:/www.fabric.com check it out. there are several other places listed under that search that sell all kinds of fabric even by the bolt including minky!!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Karen
Our Wallyworld has its fat quarters for .25, jellyrolls are 5. to 15. each. They closed 2 fabric depts locally within the last year. our Walmart is one of the next to go. Down in Bentonville they told me that they are going to bring in fabric in 1 yard cuts, in sealed plastic bags. Probably gonna cheap crud that they can make a fortune off of if it sells. I will quit buying fabric there if they do that. I don't buy much from Walmarts anymore, the price have doubled plus down here.
The lady in walmart showed me the way fabric is going to be in there-little packages with a couple of one or two yrd. Cuts in them. That's ok for some projects, but for backs and borders-not so much. I will have to keep watch on the clearance stuff. The remodel starts in N/D.