Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Donna Jordan Mosaic but I have a ? >

Free Donna Jordan Mosaic but I have a ?

Free Donna Jordan Mosaic but I have a ?

Old 01-30-2023, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

I didn't feel like marking them so I made them 11 rather than 10 inches and trimmed. These are super easy!
Attached Thumbnails img_7206.jpg  
Old 01-30-2023, 02:07 PM

She's marking straight across but sewing on a slight diagonal, so her piece don't quite line up. (you can see this when she's trimming) . A better way is to sew to one side, and then trim off the ends. That way it will line up perfectly with the other piece with no trimming needed.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:47 PM

Oh, she cut the ribbon off! I save those! seriously, i had some wide grosgrain ribbons and used them as tie backs for my curtains.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I didn't feel like marking them so I made them 11 rather than 10 inches and trimmed. These are super easy!
Thanks for letting us know how it worked for you. That's a cute pattern. I'd like to make it some day.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:06 PM

I enjoy her videos, and her techniques. I've just started gathering fabric for her similar "Layer Chops" quilt, put together the same way. I"ll try marking, vs eyeballing to see which works better for me. Thinking marking, since I'm not too good at eyeballing!
Old 01-31-2023, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
She's marking straight across but sewing on a slight diagonal, so her piece don't quite line up. (you can see this when she's trimming) . A better way is to sew to one side, and then trim off the ends. That way it will line up perfectly with the other piece with no trimming needed.
I think you're spot on with this, Macy!
Old 01-31-2023, 02:06 PM
Gay

This video for the Layer Chops quilt explains a few of her reasons for what is done.

Layer Chops
Old 02-01-2023, 06:01 PM

Loved this Mosaic Pattern and video.
What do you think about making it with the strips being a Honey Bun - 1.5" strips. I have a few Honey Buns (black) from a quilt that I was going to make, but decided to do another pattern instead.

So, instead of using a 1" strip like the pattern says, I'd be using a 1.5" strip. I know it will make the blocks a little bigger, but that isn't a problem. I'm just wondering about the look.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 02-01-2023 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
Loved this Mosaic Pattern and video.
What do you think about making it with the strips being a Honey Bun - 1.5" strips. I have a few Honey Buns (black) from a quilt that I was going to make, but decided to do another pattern instead.

So, instead of using a 1" strip like the pattern says, I'd be using a 1.5" strip. I know it will make the blocks a little bigger, but that isn't a problem. I'm just wondering about the look.
I don't think a half inch would change the look too much. Just think how many strips you won't have to cut? I'm using a jelly roll so I get 2 strips and only lose a half inch but it's those darn pinked edges......... That's what I had in my stash.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:42 PM

the only thing that happens when you use a wider strip - you can end up with different sized blocks depending on how many cuts you make. Not a big deal if you trim in between.

When you use 1", it exactly replaces what goes into the seam allowance. So if you start out with a 9" piece, no matter how you cut it and resew, it will still be 9". If you use wider, and make 2 cross cuts and 1 top to bottom cut, you'll end up with 10" x 9.5" block, because each cut will add .5" to that dimension. Again - not a problem if you trim.