Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion feet for pfaff quilt expression 4.2pffaf >

Free motion feet for pfaff quilt expression 4.2pffaf

Free motion feet for pfaff quilt expression 4.2pffaf

Old 07-17-2020, 06:41 PM

Default Free motion feet for pfaff quilt expression 4.2pffaf

I am just getting started learning free motion quilting on my Pfaff quilt expression 4.2. It comes with a "Sensoromatic free motion foot 6A".. I am not having much luck with that foot. It also doubles as a darning foot. Pfaff also makes a "Free motion echo quilting foot" that looks like a large clear plastic circle with markings to help you follow lines of quilting. There is also an "Open toe free motion spring foot "and a "Dynamic spring foot". The spring is supposed to keep the fabric from lifting with the needle while the stitch is being formed. Does anyone have any experience with these feet? All advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-18-2020 at 03:56 AM. Reason: remove unnecessary QB link
Old 07-18-2020, 02:48 AM

I have the Pfaff 5.2 Expressions. I was massively frustrated with the free motion use on the machine. I then discovered that I needed to make a small change and life has been so much better. (I was using the incorrect foot plate. Switched back to the one with the single little circular hole and all was perfect!) Three quilts later I am thrilled again with my FM and my Pfaff. I use the simple little purple plastic foot - Sensoromatic free motion foot. I have looked for the open toe spring foot but at this time the little purple foot is perfect! I haven't conquered feathers yet, but everything else has been pretty easy with minimal practice.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:08 AM

Thank you for responding. My machine only came with one foot plate and it does not have a single little circular hole. Sincmany of the stitches come in widths up to 9mm, I imagine you would have to use the stitch width safety feature. Good to know you found a way to make the little purple foot work.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by janiebakes View Post
I am just getting started learning free motion quilting on my Pfaff quilt expression 4.2. It comes with a "Sensoromatic free motion foot 6A".. I am not having much luck with that foot. It also doubles as a darning foot. Pfaff also makes a "Free motion echo quilting foot" that looks like a large clear plastic circle with markings to help you follow lines of quilting. There is also an "Open toe free motion spring foot "and a "Dynamic spring foot". The spring is supposed to keep the fabric from lifting with the needle while the stitch is being formed. Does anyone have any experience with these feet? All advice will be appreciated.
Go to website https://sewingmastery.com she has posted a complete tutorial on using the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2. Sara goes through the manual and provides a video on each section, video 52 explains free motion quilting and use of the Sensormatic foot. On my Performance 5.0 I use the Sensormatic foot with no problem as long as I have selected the correct setting in free motion menu. I use this website whenever I have a question concerning a problem. Hopefully this will answer you problems.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:23 PM

Thank you Three Dog Night, that looks like a very helpful site. I could not find a video 52 but will take some time tomorrow to do a better search. There is info there other than free motion quilting that will help me as well.

I looked for a straight stitch needle plate. They are expensive! The best price I could find was nearly 40 dollars and shipping.

Would still love to hear from anyone who has used any Pfaff free motion feet other than the Sensormatic foot.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by janiebakes View Post
Thank you Three Dog Night, that looks like a very helpful site. I could not find a video 52 but will take some time tomorrow to do a better search. There is info there other than free motion quilting that will help me as well.

I looked for a straight stitch needle plate. They are expensive! The best price I could find was nearly 40 dollars and shipping.

Would still love to hear from anyone who has used any Pfaff free motion feet other than the Sensormatic foot.
Sara has the videos numbered and I think #52 was on second page about 1/2 way down. I have a straight needle plate that came with my machine but I don't use it when free motioning or when using my ruler foot. As you move the fabric you can also move the needle which will strike the plate and the needle could bend or even break (been there, done that). I do use my Westalee ruler foot a lot even for free motion quilting sometimes it needs to be set for spring foot free motion instead of the sensormatic foot setting. I do have a spring motion foot but it's been a long time since I used it, will do some playing with it and let you know how it works.
Attached Thumbnails capture.png  
Old 07-20-2020, 05:00 AM

I've been using Pfaffs for over 20 years and none can compare with the 7570. I have the Expression 3.5 and the 4.2. Tried to FM a baby quilt on the 4.2 and the needle wouldn't pick up the bobbin to make a stitch. Went back to the 3.5 and it FM beautifully. I used the spring foot 6D. I'm going to try to figure out what is wrong the 4.2. And yes the straight stitch needle plate is about 40.00. I just bought one. All of Pfaff's accessories are expensive.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:19 AM

The website mentioned by Three Dog Night, sewmastery.com is a great reference site. I have the Pfaff QE 4.2 and each step or technique is in a different video and labeled so you don't have to watch a long video to get the point you need. Great time saver.