Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion quilting must haves/necessities - besides quilting foot >

Free motion quilting must haves/necessities - besides quilting foot

Free motion quilting must haves/necessities - besides quilting foot

Old 07-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
What I use:

GrabberRoos: best quilting gloves on the market.
Halo: for small areas : Sharon Schamber's tool.
Super Slider
Bobbin Genie: stops bird nesting of thread at start up.
And a teeny tiny crochet hook size 14 to pull ends of thread into the batting. I leave a long tail so I can pull from a seam, that thread is never coming out.
BellaBoo....can you explain how you use the crochet hook to bury the thread tail? I'm not visualizing how that would be done.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:28 AM

Talking about the shelving material. I bought a small packet of that same material (kind of bumpy and rubbery) that were cut into rounds for opening jars and I love it for maching quilting but I still need to overcome those bird's nests on the back.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:03 AM

Katier825 - do you have a picture of y our table with the vinyl? I'd love to see it.

Originally Posted by katier825
Gloves definitely help. I started with the gardening gloves, but didn't really like them. They were too hot. I tried on a pair of Machingers and love them. They were less than $10 and worth every penny for me. I don't have to take them off to rethread, change bobbins or anything. I also bought an acrylic table to surround my machine. That's very helpful too. I would have loved the foam table to go around my machine, but it's hard to find thick foam here in FL, and didn't want to deal with multiple sheets, so I made my own out of priority mail boxes and a sheet of vinyl. Total cost about $5 for the vinyl, boxes were free. I assemble my table when I'm quilting and butt my small table up to the dining room table and cover the whole thing w/the vinyl. Different things work for different people. Trial and error is the way to learn what you do like. I took a class and the instructor brought many gadgets to try.

I do so much better when I'm home alone. I screw up alot if the family is around disrupting me. The big thing is to relax and enjoy it - try not to stress over it. Lots of practice sandwiches. The first time on a "real" quilt is a little scary, but it builds confidence. :)
Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 PM

I would skip the package. I tried using gloves, once, I have to "feel" the fabric with my hands or I am lost. I also have to "feel" my foot pedal, so I quilt with my right shoe off :wink:
Old 07-14-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
If you have small hands, try the S/M.

They are stretchy, but not too tight. I find them very comfortable, even when it's hot down here.
I bought the S/M size and they did not fit my hands......way too big. I have small hands and wrists, What happened to the rest of me, well that's a different story.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:56 PM

skip the package deal. Just get the gloves, Machingers, I believe is the name of them....they work great and you can get them from her, or check ebay, or other online shops. If you have a darning foot for your machine, then you're good to go! Just drop the feed dogs.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna