Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 10-07-2014, 07:45 AM

There's a silicone spray for your machine bed that can be purchased from Hancock fabric store and probably some online sites. I lightly spray my machine bed which helps the fabric move much smoother and does not dirty the fabric at all. I also use Machingers gloves to get a good grip on the fabric but there are also other products such as fingertip pads etc. Once you get the right foot and settings on your machine and something to help grip the fabric as you move it, you will be fine. My first attempt wasn't beautiful but I was still so happy that I accomplished FMQ and it's only gotten better since. Good luck to you!!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 AM

I'm just beginning with FMQ and I have a 35 year old Kenmore. I was able to buy a generic free motion foot on EBay (anything low shank works on mine). I had to modify it by bending the bar back out of the way and I used an elastic to get the height right so the fabric sandwich moves smoothly underneath but it is working quite well.

Here are some practice feathers I made with it 2 days ago:

Don't give up because you have an old machine. FMQ is really a lot of fun and so worth the effort to learn!
Attached Thumbnails fmq-foot.jpg   freemotion-4b.jpg  
Old 10-07-2014, 09:21 AM

I have a 1975 Singer & they don't make a darning foot for it either. I went to the shop where I take it for cleaning/repair & they were able to sell me a generic, open-toed darning foot that was compatible with my machine. You may need to take your machine in so you can try out some of the different feet (need to know whether it is low or high shank & also need to fit for where the screw is).
Old 10-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Thank you for being so nice as to include pictures. I can't believe you are just learning and produced those feathers. I am totally amazed how nice and helpful everyone is being. I've never blogged anything before this and have to learn how to use this website. Contacting the Kenmore dealer was a joke. Never again will I buy from Sears. The good news is that a little shop on the outskirts of my neighbouring city helped. A Janome open toe darning foot low shank and spring loaded. I wish I could thank each person that gave me advice.....
Old 10-07-2014, 02:17 PM

You're very welcome. I couldn't find it earlier but here is a link to the video that I used to learn how to modify the foot I bought on EBay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbNPgnP8r4

You should also check out more of Leah Day's videos. She has some really good ones for free motion quilting beginners. It was her videos that finally gave me the confidence to get started. Here is a handy link to a playlist she has for absolute beginners. You can start at the beginning and use it like a getting started course:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1F4B76430BB141

Have fun!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:08 AM

I did some fmq with just my hands and I couldn't move the quilt when I wanted. So I tried rubber finger tips but they kept coming off, I tried garden gloves with nubs but not success there, so I got some Machingers, The white gloves, and the sales person told me that they need to fit snug so they don't slip around your fingers. Since I got them I am doing much better. Also make sure you stop moving the quilt before you stop stitching and that the machine is running smoothly before you start moving the quilt. Takes a little concentration, but will make everything in line with the stitching. Hope you get going with this. I do it for fun!!!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Be sure your machine is set for darning. Be sure to get a darning foot...