Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion >

Free motion

Free motion

Old 02-11-2011, 11:03 AM

THANKS SO MUCH - am checking out these helpful videos.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 PM

The videos are great...thanks for the tips...now to get the wine!!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 PM

i,v been fm quilting many years and tryed many things what works for me might not work for others . one thing i use is a little container that is called TAKE HOLD it is the stuff that u see bank tellers us on there fingers when they count money.
its .98 can buy it anywhere even walmart it also lets you not hold down on for fabric so tight that you can't move
the fabric smoothy
Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 PM

i,v been fm quilting many years and tryed many things what works for me might not work for others . one thing i use is a little container that is called TAKE HOLD it is the stuff that u see bank tellers us on there fingers when they count money.
its .98 can buy it anywhere even walmart it also lets you not hold down on for fabric so tight that you can't move
the fabric smoothy
Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 PM

the fabric smoothy
Old 02-11-2011, 02:17 PM

When I took sewing in Jr. High School back in the 1940s (WOW!), we started learning how to use the machine by sewing on paper. The teacher had designs printed on papers and we sewed without thread in the machine to get the feel of following lines etc.
I think this would work well if we printed some designs on paper and sewed them without thread to start.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:34 PM

great idea. I just bought a bernina 440 quilters edition and just tried the free motion quilting. Boy Do I have to practice. It is not as easy as I thought but will take your idea and give it a try before I do the wall hanging . Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 04:17 PM

I've tried rubber fingers, rubber gloves, tacky finger. But so far I like a snug fitting glove called "Machingers". They are light weight and do come in sizes, so try them on and get them to fit rather snug. The ends of the fingers are non-slip and makes moving your fabric sandwich much easier. And I agree with the other posters, cut some 12" squares of muslin or an old sheet, put batting inbetween. Draw a pattern on the muslin and follow the lines and practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by texaspam
You have gotten a lot of good suggestions. Since the biggest key seems to be PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PATIENCE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, I thought I would share my experiences.
1. you definitely need those quilter's gloves. They really reduce the stress on the body and helps move the fabric.
2. I use basting spray, even on queensize quilts. I actually think it works better than pinning and those little tack guns. If you have a big design wall, it would be easier to spray baste. First get the back smooth, then spray, then put on the batting starting at the top and working your way out and down, then do the same with your top.
3. Start in the center and quilt it in quarters like you would handquilt.
4. Always pull your thread from the bottom when you start.
5. Have a lot of bobbins ready.
6. Coats and Clarks machine quilting thread is probably the least expensive but it does leave a lot of lint in your machine and you should clean your machine before and after your quilting.
7. Do a few wall hangings and lap quilts first. Depending on your machine, you may have to work with your tension, etc. to get your stitches right.
8. Use a print backing that won't show your mistakes as easily.
9. Don't worry about what it looks like. Just do it. Your next one will be better with.......practice.
10. This probably should have been number 1. Don't use polyester batting. It doesn't lay flat. For FMQ it is better to use cotton batting or cotton batting with a little bit of polyester. It is just way too hard to FMQ on polyester, especially when you are a beginner.

I can't wait to see your first one.
Never heard of quilting gloves where do I get them? Sorry I'm new at this....
Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Originally Posted by ladyslipper
What is a darting attachment? That is something I have never heard about. Maybe that (and the wine idea) is what I have been doing wrong.
I'm guessing it's a typo for darning, probably so excited to start that she couldn't type, lol
Yes I was excited and yes it was a typo..Plus I have fibro and sometimes I get brain fog...Sorry LOL