Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion >

Free motion

Free motion

Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM

SSGramma - What a GREAT site. Just what I've been needing to help me. Thank you
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tamara
Okay I want to start doing FMQ what do you think I need to do first?
I got a darting attachment for my machine is there anything eles that I need?
Lots of chocolate!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the video link :)
Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 PM

I started by making my kitty a quilt. I also bought the "quilting on a roll"to learn to make stiples. I have that down pretty good so I am trying to work up the courage to try some other pattern now.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by donnalynett
I started by making my kitty a quilt. I also bought the "quilting on a roll"to learn to make stiples. I have that down pretty good so I am trying to work up the courage to try some other pattern now.
I have seen some of these patterns for sale. Do they work??? Which ones (besides the stiples) can you recommend for beginners?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
In addition to the darning foot, you should make up several practice sandwiches and just start practicing. If you make them fat quarter size, they are easy to handle. Once you get comfortable, try on a small quilt or wall hanging. I found that at the beginning, I was more comfortable using thread that blended, so the mistakes weren't so noticeable. I've only recently started using contrasting threads.

Have fun!
I agree with all of that and I also found that for learning to control and feel comfortable with stitching to try 'writing' nursery rhymes or song lyrics or names and addresses. It's surprising how soon you start to feel you're mastering the process.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ceil
Originally Posted by donnalynett
I have seen some of these patterns for sale. Do they work??? Which ones (besides the stiples) can you recommend for beginners?
Worked for me. Is a pain in the tush to pull off all the little papers when you're done, but I recommend it to learn.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Okay I want to start doing FMQ what do you think I need to do first?
I got a darting attachment for my machine is there anything eles that I need?
Purchase the slider and machinger gloves. They now have a Supreme slider.It is very very helpful when moving the quilt!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by texaspam
You have gotten a lot of good suggestions. Since the biggest key seems to be PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PATIENCE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, I thought I would share my experiences.
1. you definitely need those quilter's gloves. They really reduce the stress on the body and helps move the fabric.
2. I use basting spray, even on queensize quilts. I actually think it works better than pinning and those little tack guns. If you have a big design wall, it would be easier to spray baste. First get the back smooth, then spray, then put on the batting starting at the top and working your way out and down, then do the same with your top.
3. Start in the center and quilt it in quarters like you would handquilt.
4. Always pull your thread from the bottom when you start.
5. Have a lot of bobbins ready.
6. Coats and Clarks machine quilting thread is probably the least expensive but it does leave a lot of lint in your machine and you should clean your machine before and after your quilting.
7. Do a few wall hangings and lap quilts first. Depending on your machine, you may have to work with your tension, etc. to get your stitches right.
8. Use a print backing that won't show your mistakes as easily.
9. Don't worry about what it looks like. Just do it. Your next one will be better with.......practice.
10. This probably should have been number 1. Don't use polyester batting. It doesn't lay flat. For FMQ it is better to use cotton batting or cotton batting with a little bit of polyester. It is just way too hard to FMQ on polyester, especially when you are a beginner.

I can't wait to see your first one.
Never heard of quilting gloves where do I get them? Sorry I'm new at this....
Leahdayquilting has them.They have a Supreme Slider, gloves, and washers for sale.Worth every penny!!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:54 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

practice, practice, patience, and more practice. Some people it comes very easy to (I was very picked on at the Viking store!) and some people get frustrated with it. Just don't give up. Try and imagine you're writing on a chalkboard... the thread is your chalk. :) Soft music to relax you (or whatever genre you desire)... a cup of tea or other soothing beverage handy... try making some loopy designs... if that is hard, then try jagged cuts, my hubby calls them broken glass... then after you get comfy with those, smooth out the points into curves. Try writing your name... try a big circle then run it inward and inward until you run out of room (big spiral)... Whatever you want to "paint" with your thread, just do it :)