Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion >

Free motion

Free motion

Old 02-11-2011, 04:57 PM

oh that is funny. But I have to agree. Sometimes when i have been sewing for a couple hrs, it is time for my toddy. Needless to say I do have it on side of machine to sip it, for the rest of the time that I am sewing. I do not use sewing machine at night. I like the natural light. I will hand sew at night under a good tall lamp though.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:11 PM

Wow - What great ideas. I just don't think that wine, me and sewing machine needles are a good combo. Can see me running over my fingers with my sewing machine -
Old 02-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Yes start with the quilt sandwiches, make sure you drop your feed dogs, and start with out a pattern and just do stippling.That really gives you the idea how to move the fabric and foot speed.But most important don't be too hard on yourself.It takes much trial and error. More of the later for yours truly, lol.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Yes start with the quilt sandwiches, make sure you drop your feed dogs, and start with out a pattern and just do stippling.That really gives you the idea how to move the fabric and foot speed.But most important don't be too hard on yourself.It takes much trial and error. More of the later for yours truly, lol.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:56 PM

Lots of laughter to begin with! Practice is an essential and what I found the most beneficial is good dense batting. Some of this thin cheap stuff or high loft thick does not make learning free motion any easier. In fact, I will not use it. If it is worth my time to meander or free motion some stars, hearts and cartoons, then it is worth spending more money for the batting. After that, just draw like you were in the third grade once again! :)
Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
not sure what a darting attachment is or what you would use it for, but where freemotion quilting is concerned what you need most is a stack of practice (sandwiches) it takes lots of practice to get a flow. start small and work your way up to larger and larger.
She misspelled "darning" attachment. I misspell too, all the time.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:20 PM

drop the feed dogs , patience and lots of practice ... Good Luck
once i learned to FMQ i love it
Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Lots of laughter to begin with! Practice is an essential and what I found the most beneficial is good dense batting. Some of this thin cheap stuff or high loft thick does not make learning free motion any easier. In fact, I will not use it. If it is worth my time to meander or free motion some stars, hearts and cartoons, then it is worth spending more money for the batting. After that, just draw like you were in the third grade once again! :)
Do you have any brands that you would recommend? I've been just using the Joann's warm and natural that goes on sale...
Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
In addition to the darning foot, you should make up several practice sandwiches and just start practicing. If you make them fat quarter size, they are easy to handle. Once you get comfortable, try on a small quilt or wall hanging. I found that at the beginning, I was more comfortable using thread that blended, so the mistakes weren't so noticeable. I've only recently started using contrasting threads.

Have fun!
Thoroughly agree with this one!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 PM

After you watch some videos, try to draw your pattern or meander path on paper. If you can't draw it, chances are you can't sew it. You can even trace it with your finger to get the idea into you brain.
I just did my first lap size quilt this afternoon. It's certainly not perfect but I am very happy with the outcome. It helps that it is a charity quilt so it was great to practice on.