Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FREE QUILTS???? >

FREE QUILTS????

FREE QUILTS????

Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mary705
I made a baby quilt for a friend of mine to give as a gift. The fabric was already pre quilted. She paid for the fabric (including the backing and binding), and the thread. I had her buy a little extra of the prequilted and a full yard of the binding fabric. We went shopping together. I told her that I wanted to make a gift for Grandpa too, from me (his first grandchild). I printed the baby's 1st picture on a fabric sheet and made a pillow for Grandpa, they both turned out great. I didn't charge her a whole lot cause I really didn't have to do much, but she also slipped in an extra $20.

Now the other daughter is pregnant and expects a quilt. Said I would make it also, but the same conditions will apply.
Mary, just a little hint. :D I read online somewhere that prequilted fabric has very cheap polyester thread that can snag and will break. Well I had some that I had bought on sale and decided to check it out and sure enough the thread is terrible, but not only the thread the batting is too. So I took the prequilted piece and ripped all the thread out and took out the batting that just actually fell apart, washed everything and rebatted and quilted. I know it seemed like a lot to do for something that is prequilted but after checking the thread and batting I had no choice. Had I not read that online I would have never known and would have binded it and it would be on its way. Only wanted to tell you this for the future. I still have the quilt. Have to bind it. Will post a picture of it. When I do I will let you know. Just wanting to help anyone that does not know this about prequilted fabric. :D
Old 04-04-2008, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info, will have to ask how well it's holding up.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:51 AM

I wouldn't worry to much about it. It will probably last a while, just not like a quilt you would have batted and quilted yourself. I was phooey about it because I liked the idea of something quick when you need something fast. Don't know why they can not make it better. Shame on them!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:40 AM

[quote=nanabirdmo]okay, so i gave one of my cousins a baby quilt, as a gift. she loved it and called the other day to ask me to make 2 more similar only bigger and she specified that one was to feature airplanes, and the other was to feature cars.
she didn't offer to purchase the fabric. i asked her if she wanted to see swatches and she said no that she trusts my judgement.
how can i, in a nice way, i get the message across that these aren't going to be freebies? i don't expect her to pay labor, but the fabric is another matter.
i love my cousin, but we aren't close enough for this not to seem presumptuous on her part.

It is always tricky to do a quilt, especialy for someone else. People who don't craft, sew or etc. don't understand how much time and effort you put in.

Not even mentioning the cost of the materials. Things seem to be cheap, you can get poor quality quilts at many stores.

I do make quilts for others, even though I give most of my quilts away.

I tell right away how much the cost for fabric, batting and backing will be. Take a non-refundable deposit before I even start. Will be the half of what I charge all together. Material cost already covered. The rest of it, after it's done, otherwise it stays with me.

Don't let people take advantage of you. You don't do this to others, so don't let them do it to you. There has to be a balance. Remember you are to be respected too.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 AM

i like to quilt and actually, quilting for family would be a way to get my "fix" w/out it coming from my pocket :lol:

Tell her you'd help her to figure out yardages and when she gets the materials, you'll be glad to do it.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by stashblaster
I would do whatever you can to NOT make any quilts for this family member. The moment you make her quilts for "fabric only" you will be her go-to person every time she needs a gift for someone. Honestly, how many quilters have time to sew for others? I make quilts for my sisters since they don't sew and I love how they start crying when they get a quilt. But I would not want to be someone's cheap seamstress. A gal at work asked me how much I would charge to make her a quilt. Out of my mouth (too quickly) I said "no way". People who don't sew have no idea what a labor of love making a quilt is.

If you feel that you need to do this for your cousin, I would call her and tell her about how much a quilt would cost. I would tack on some labor charges and tell her you'll swing by to pick up a deposit so you can go fabric shopping.
Good luck on this.

Ellen
I agree. You could just call and say, I want you to know how much the material for a quilt will cost you...is that the amount you want to spend? If so, I'll need the money to purchase this material.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Banned

I know exactly what you mean..... I have people around me who think that quilts are cheap to make...they are not. I have learned to give them a high estimate on the cost. Example, I at least add $1 to the price per yard for my time to go and pick it out. And that is when I am being nice. If they aren't immediate such as cousins I give them a better price than going to the quilter but I still charge at least 50 dollars extra. Hope this helps and don't let people take advantage of you, Quilts take time and money....even though others don't seem to understand that.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:37 AM

I'm making a quilt right now & because of where it's going I know it'll generate some requests for more...I'm imagining the looks on their faces when I quote them for 30+ hrs labor plus materials, lol. It takes the fun out of it for me if it's a commission.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

when ever a family member gets ahold of me and asks about my making a quilt for them i tell them my prices. i do not give (family discounts) especially if the quilt is one they plan to give someone else. i do try to keep it reasonable...like $45-$65 for a baby quilt; $65-$75 for a twin, throw; $150 (minimum) for larger than a twin and they grow from there...a queen quilt always starts at $225 and goes up from there depending on the theme, work involved. i have had family members offer to buy the fabric themselves, in that case i knock off $25-$50 depending again on the size/theme, work involved. i usually discourage them buying the fabric, too often i do not wind up using the (garbage) they buy...yes, i am VERY picky about the fabrics i am willing to work with.
all that being said...every member of the family gets (free) quilts from me. and i have received a couple requests that i told them a resounding NO - you can not afford it!...but in that case they still get the quilt...for free- sooner or later.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the info on how much you charge for quilts. I have wondered too often and so ususaly just don't sell. But with so much time on my hands now it would not be a bad thing. But like you I am very picky about my fabric. My question is, I make all my quilts reversable unless they are a wall hanging. Are your quilts reversable?
One thing I find funny is I have been in Walmart fabric section ( I make purses and accessories also and will use different fabric) and have had ladies come up to me and ask if I quilt. If I say yes I have been asked how much I charge just to quilt their quilt. (and I have been asked a few times it is as if they watch and wait to ask someone. Funny!) That is one thing I won't do. I don't have a long arm machine and I know they are looling for a cheaper price then the quilt shops. Personally I don't think the quilt shops charge too much, but I quilt my own because to me that is part of the whole I made it myself thing.

Originally Posted by ckcowl
when ever a family member gets ahold of me and asks about my making a quilt for them i tell them my prices. i do not give (family discounts) especially if the quilt is one they plan to give someone else. i do try to keep it reasonable...like $45-$65 for a baby quilt; $65-$75 for a twin, throw; $150 (minimum) for larger than a twin and they grow from there...a queen quilt always starts at $225 and goes up from there depending on the theme, work involved. i have had family members offer to buy the fabric themselves, in that case i knock off $25-$50 depending again on the size/theme, work involved. i usually discourage them buying the fabric, too often i do not wind up using the (garbage) they buy...yes, i am VERY picky about the fabrics i am willing to work with.
all that being said...every member of the family gets (free) quilts from me. and i have received a couple requests that i told them a resounding NO - you can not afford it!...but in that case they still get the quilt...for free- sooner or later.