Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FREE QUILTS???? >

FREE QUILTS????

FREE QUILTS????

Old 11-30-2010, 06:53 AM

Have been in same situation and still haven't learned to just say No....
Several quilts for family never garnered a "thank you", one needed to be
reminded to pay up the agreed upon amount, and another gave them
away as "their gift" to others. I agree with other comments: make a
stand now, no regret later.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:39 AM

I would call her up and be like "okay, I priced the fabric and other materials and have an estimate of $50 to make each of the quilts. I wanted to make sure that was reasonable before I buy the fabric" like you're assuming she knows she needs to pay. Then she can say "yes, definitely" or "oh, that's more than I expected, no thanks" and it's all good
Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Have an open honest talk and make a sheet with the cost break down. she is clueless and thinks you are bored and make these for fun to give away. Have them pay the agreed upon amount up front. You need to buy fabric right? I do consignment quilts and people have to pay 100% up front. I have never had a problem.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 AM

I give a lot of quilts away. I am working on one right now for my bil and his new wife. I just made one for a friends grandbaby, and am making another one for her newest grandbaby. She paid me for most of the fabric, but I have done things like this for her before, and she and her children absolutely love them. They know the kind of work I put into my quilts, and even though they don't sew and quilt, they know it is a work of love. She always does things for my family throughout the year, so I am willing to do special things for her.

For my friends I may decide to do a quilt, or I may do a receiving blanket and crochet around the edge. I had one friend from work that I did a receiving blanket for, and she told me her grandmother thought it was absolutely gorgeous and also how much she (my friend) loved it. I did a quilt for a friend in my neighborhood and she loves it as well. I enjoy quilting and I don't charge extra for my time. If they are a gift from me, of course they don't pay anything, but if they ask me to make one, or offer to help with the fabric, then that helps a lot. I guess I just look at the situation and see what I can do.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 AM

you may have to flat out tell her that for you to make a quilt is a minimum of $125 (baby quilt size).... give her the cost with labor included... don't feel bad...
Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 AM

i would tell her how many yards each quilt would take and tell her she needs to supply the fabric. i have the same problem i give alot of quilts away and it gets expensive by time i pay longarmer i have $200-$250 in a quilt
Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

I'd ask her if she had any pattern(s) in mind, then come up with one, give her yardages needed, and offer to go with her for fabric selections. If by then she is still interested, she should give you $$ for your time and expertise.
I have a friend of my daughter who is wanting me to make 2 quilts for her before Christmas. And she wants "big lap" size or bigger on both, and 2" finished triangles. Ha! I think she thinks I have nothing better to do! I still have projects of my own I am trying to finish before Christmas.
I did offer to help teach her how to sew, but it seems she is not interested. Live and learn! :)
Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 AM

I am with the others about just telling her the truth. Check this idea out~you say to her how much it will costs and she say oh yes no problem, thank you for doing this your quilts are so beautiful and I just don't have your talent!
Now wouldn't that be a nice surprise.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by nanabirdmo
okay, so i gave one of my cousins a baby quilt, as a gift. she loved it and called the other day to ask me to make 2 more similar only bigger and she specified that one was to feature airplanes, and the other was to feature cars.
she didn't offer to purchase the fabric. i asked her if she wanted to see swatches and she said no that she trusts my judgement.
how can i, in a nice way, i get the message across that these aren't going to be freebies? i don't expect her to pay labor, but the fabric is another matter.
i love my cousin, but we aren't close enough for this not to seem presumptuous on her part.
any ideas??

sign me stumped :?: :?
Only thing I can think of is asking her how much SHE WANTS TO SPEND on the fabric. You can add that there are so many variables in purchasing fabric adn price is one of those variables.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by stashblaster
I would do whatever you can to NOT make any quilts for this family member. The moment you make her quilts for "fabric only" you will be her go-to person every time she needs a gift for someone. Honestly, how many quilters have time to sew for others? I make quilts for my sisters since they don't sew and I love how they start crying when they get a quilt. But I would not want to be someone's cheap seamstress. A gal at work asked me how much I would charge to make her a quilt. Out of my mouth (too quickly) I said "no way". People who don't sew have no idea what a labor of love making a quilt is.

If you feel that you need to do this for your cousin, I would call her and tell her about how much a quilt would cost. I would tack on some labor charges and tell her you'll swing by to pick up a deposit so you can go fabric shopping.
Good luck on this.

Ellen
Good advice. If this gal gets two more quilts she'll be looking for five next time. And there will be no end.. IGNORE MY PREVIOUS SUGGESTION.