Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FREE QUILTS???? >

FREE QUILTS????

FREE QUILTS????

Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Stand in front of a mirror and repeat "No" over and over. You wont regret doing it. If you feel obligated call her and tell her the cost involved and as soon as she pays you, you can shop for the fabric and get started. Be firm!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:20 AM

Love It! I need to practice that one.
Originally Posted by harvsstuff
Stand in front of a mirror and repeat "No" over and over. You wont regret doing it. If you feel obligated call her and tell her the cost involved and as soon as she pays you, you can shop for the fabric and get started. Be firm!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Personally I would tell her that I only make quilts for people I care about and that it's a labor of love.

But if you don't mind making the quilts, then I would tell her you don't make quilts for free for anyone except those you care about. It's your personal policy.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:38 PM

I made my hairdresser a quilt for her wedding (still have to bind the dumb thing) and she just moved into a new house...so she asked me if I could make 2 reversible twin-sized quilt for her daughters. She didn't want any piecing, just two different colors on the quilts. I told her it would be much cheaper for her to buy quilts at Walmart! I quoted her $300.00 each quilt...the quilting alone would either be whole-cloth type or BORING large crosshatching. She decided Walmart would be fine.

When I do commissioned quilts, I have found the fair price to me is at least 4 times the cost of all the materials, including batting. So quote your cousin a high price for making the quilts - if she has the nerve to ask you to make them (probably expecting it to be free to her), then you have to have the nerve to place a high price on your creative talents and time!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

I would call and ask her how much is she budgeting for the fabric and batting for the quilts in case you have to find a sale to fit her budget before buying it. If she gives you a ridiculous figure laugh and tell her that's the funniest thing you've heard in long time and you wish you could buy fabric for that price! Then tell her you pay at least $9 a yard for good cotton fabric plus $25 for baby safe batting plus about $5 or more for a spool of thread to match not counting the ____ hours it takes to cut and sew the quilt. Then say I have to go but give me a call later to let me know what you decide and when you can send the fabric money. She probably won't call back.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM

I would think that if you are not going to enjoy making the quilts for your cousin that no amount of money will be enough. I have, in the past, taken on jobs making things for people that I really didn't want to make and it becomes such a chore. Just not worth it!!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by stashblaster

If you feel that you need to do this for your cousin, I would call her and tell her about how much a quilt would cost. I would tack on some labor charges and tell her you'll swing by to pick up a deposit so you can go fabric shopping.
Good luck on this.

Ellen
Perfectly said except I would of added "when I pick you up you can buy the fabric, batting and notions I need and Ill be able to get going on it.. "