Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free table during quit guild meeting? >

Free table during quit guild meeting?

Free table during quit guild meeting?

Old 10-06-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Have any of you had members that were in the "if it's free, I will take it home" category?
You bet! One of my Guild's has a free table where most things disappear, the other Guild has a free table that your are expected to give a "donation" for the item. You determine the size of the donation. It seems that the truly free table rarely has anything left. If there is it's the dumpster out back. The one that wants a donation, asks that you take it back home or get rid of it if it is left at the end of the meeting. But good fabric goes fast in both places.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:23 AM

The guild I spend my time with does this at our monthly meetings and it works. One can find fabric, kits from 30 years ago, knitting, garment patterns, crocheting materials, ribbon and books, books and more books. One of our leaders has become the unplanned recipient of mystery bags or boxes of quilting materials from members of the community. She brings this to our meetings so those who need materials can share the gifts left on her front step.

We don't set many rules. #1 is if it has not been taken by your quilt friends, then it is your responsibility to take it away at the end of the meeting. We also do this at our two retreats. I had sorting out fabrics that I knew I would never, ever, ever in a million years use. Took them to the retreat and Ta-Da! gals found "Just what I needed to finish......". Happy all around!

Our give away table is a boon to every one as long as we abide by our one rule. Oh, we have a small sub group that does quilts of valour and we leave red,white and blues for them to look at first. We often hear gals saying, "Oh, this looks like a color you would like, here, I'll take this one instead." Quilters can be such kind people.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 10-07-2018 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:24 AM

This has been a huge success at our Guild. I am not sure that it has done anything for interaction of our members but it is a terrific way to share quilting related supplies and projects.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:51 AM

Our guild does this also.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 AM

I am in 2 quilt guild and they both do it. We also have the same rule. You bring it you take it home if no one claims it. I have found several really nice items on it. Someone brought a bunch of yarn one time. No one wanted it so I took it for my moms ladies club. They knit hats for babies and homeless. Also lots of charities.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:04 PM

We had one for quite awhile and it was great. Then no one wanted to deal with what was left at lock-up time. So, we discontinued it for awhile. |
Mariah
Old 10-07-2018, 06:38 PM

The sharing table seems like a nice idea. I could see where a lot of people would just be happy to swap like for like, too, especially those who do scrappy quilts. You might have to make a rule about minimum size of the pieces and whether or not they should be pre-washed.

I also can relate to the problem of clannish behavior, which I noticed in the very large guild I used to belong to before our move. My theory is that a lot of people who do a craft like quilting, where you can spend hours and hours by yourself perfectly content, are by nature more introverted. Making new friends costs a bit of an effort, and it's often just easier to hang out with the closest buddies. As a new person I remember trying to take an empty seat and being told that was saved for somebody. Another time I sat with people I didn't know and they acted as if I was interrupting when I tried to participate in the conversation by asking them about their quilting. Then most of what they talked about was personal gossip that an outsider could not possibly fit into. Clearly they would have been happier without a new person at "their" table.

If your guild wants to do something about this kind of behavior, you could assign numbers to the seats and after a few minutes require everyone in seat number 1 (or whatever) to switch to a different table, ideally one where they don't know anyone. Continue to do that every meeting. Mention the importance of trying to get to know people other than your bosom buddies, whom you might invite over for coffee and gossip on others days. I should mention that there were also a lot of very nice people in that guild who were much more welcoming.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:25 PM

Our guild has one we call Freecycle. The ladies in charge take what is left over to senior centers or donation centers.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:07 PM

Oh Yes.. We have a big Free Two Table setup. We have women in the guild that make entire quilts from the Free Table fabrics. They can well afford to buy new, but like me, they're Scrappy Quilters.

What's really nice is I often find just the right color of a fabric I need just a little of. So a free table is a tremendous resource too.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-08-2018 at 02:25 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps