Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free table during quit guild meeting? >

Free table during quit guild meeting?

Free table during quit guild meeting?

Old 10-05-2018, 03:53 PM

Default Free table during quit guild meeting?

Does your guild have a table where folks can put scraps and leftover fabric to give away? I am asking because our guild is considering doing this. The idea is to help quilters out who don't have a stash or maybe much money and to help quilters get interesting pieces for scrappy quilts.

Our guild is also a bit clannish and we thought that having this free table available during the social time before the meeting starts might cause people to sort of interact with more than just their friends as folks are looking at or selecting freebies.

Does anyone do this? Is it a worthwhile idea to pursue?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dina
Old 10-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Our guild has had one for years... I've given and received great stuff there... not just fabric.
This just appeared in our newest newsletter:
A Reminder about the Free Table:We are happy to see that the free table is such a success; it allows members who have items they no longer want
or need to offer them for other members to enjoy. We would like to remind everyone that:
Items placed on the table should be good quality, usable items and should be placed as neatly as space allows.
Items that are not taken must be cleaned off the table by the person who brought them and either donated or disposed of in other ways. Please do not leave this for the members who volunteer to stay to pick up the room after the meeting.
We would like to continue to offer the free table, but we feel that it is everyone's responsibility to maintain it, please respect everyone's time by taking your remaining items before leaving the Guild meeting.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:21 PM

Our guild has such a table, we call it "The too good to toss table" - while it is informally supposed to be quilting related there are often other types of fabrics, sewing patterns, knitting patterns and notions as well. Same rules as noted above - if you bring it, take care of anything leftover yourself.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

We have one and one person is in charge of it. What is not picked up at the end of the meeting it all goes in the dumpster outside. She will save books and some magazines for several go arounds. What she keeps or tosses is up to her after the meeting. Some that were in charge dumped everything after the meeting and some saved everything. Who ever wants the job decides.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:58 PM

We have a free table at my monthly guild meetings. Same rules - you brought it? You bring it home if nobody grabs what you brought. Any crafty item is welcome.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:58 PM

My guild doesn't have one, but I sure wish they did. I have a lot of stuff that I know I'll never use that I'd love for someone else to have. Some of it mine, some counted cross stitch stuff that belonged to my MIL
Old 10-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
Our guild has had one for years... I've given and received great stuff there... not just fabric.
This just appeared in our newest newsletter:
A Reminder about the Free Table:We are happy to see that the free table is such a success; it allows members who have items they no longer want
or need to offer them for other members to enjoy. We would like to remind everyone that:
Items placed on the table should be good quality, usable items and should be placed as neatly as space allows.
Items that are not taken must be cleaned off the table by the person who brought them and either donated or disposed of in other ways. Please do not leave this for the members who volunteer to stay to pick up the room after the meeting.
We would like to continue to offer the free table, but we feel that it is everyone's responsibility to maintain it, please respect everyone's time by taking your remaining items before leaving the Guild meeting.
Ditto here~
Old 10-05-2018, 06:48 PM

This is really good information! Thank you so much.

Dina
Old 10-05-2018, 07:09 PM

our guild has a day time and night time meeting to accommodate those that work. We do not have a free table--but often have people bring magazines and sometimes fabrics and leave. Unfortunately, that means those of us that have to pick up (means put up all chairs, all guild stuff, take down all tables) end up having to dump this stuff. We have a annual "garage sale" each year and I'd really like if people would hang on to their stuff until then--we have no place to store either.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:19 PM

I belong to two guilds. One has a 'pay what you can' table and I have donated as well as given a donation for something I can use. The current president of that guild and I belong to another much larger guild and we are trying to organize a similar table. I like the idea of someone 'disposing' of things that are left. I have no idea what happens to the leftovers at my guild.