Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freezer Paper-hard to find in Canada? >

Freezer Paper-hard to find in Canada?

Freezer Paper-hard to find in Canada?

Old 05-11-2012, 05:17 PM

It always seems to be on the bottom shelf and it is very inexpensive!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 PM

I buy the large role of Freezer Paper at Wall-mart, it is Reynolds Freezer Paper.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 PM

Since the topic is freezer paper, I'll pass on my favorite way to use it. find someone with a bandsaw. mark off the
whole roll (rolled, right out of the box) in increments of 3",4",5", 6". (I think the roll is 18" !). slice through the
whole roll at these points. Or, whatever width that is the most usable to you. now, you have usable sizes for applique' without using the whole width for some leaves, etc. you can leave these in the box so you can use the cutter provided.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Years ago I bought a roll of freezer paper at Costco -- I will probably be using it until I quilt sewing. It is still huge and heavy. I can get the smaller boxes at the grocery stores around here.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
It's hard to find here in Australia too, $18 a box from my LQS ouch I was hoping Costco would carry it, but unfortunately not.

Costco does carry it, but it is in the isle where they carry plastic forks, etc. They only have a small roll. I bought a huge roll at a Sam's club. It was in the isle where they have the industrial coffee pots and pans. It was so big and hefty that I have a hard time getting it to a table.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i was looking for it in Walmart and asked a clerk for help - it was on the very bottom shelf. guess it's not popular enough to be eye level
Its always either way on the top or bottom shelves here too.
Usually near the aluminum foil and ziplock bags.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
At my monthly meeting at our LQS we are doing an applique quilt. Freezer paper was discussed and our teacher said she had heard that they are going to stop making freezer paper. Of course I went out and bought six boxes. Now I don't use it because I use back basting as my method of applique. If someone needs some, email me.

LOL, they stop making freezer paper when we quit eating meat!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by callen View Post
We have lots of starch in Canada but where I live it's only in aersol cans in grocery stores & WalMart. We also have lots of freezer paper in grocery stores, Canadian Tire etc. so I don't know what xsquilter is talking about. She lives in a large urban centre & I live in a community of only 45,000 people & we have lots of both.
Actually our local fabric store just got in a shipment of Mary Ellen's Best Press (non aerosol) so I am quite anxious to try it. It sells here for $23.00 for a 16 oz. bottle. I bought it at their 1/2 price sale & that's the only way I would buy it. I may even try & dilute it a little to see if that will make the cost more economical. With the cost of fabric etc. this quilting hobby that I love is getting to be very costly. Oh well, what do they say for some things "priceless".
Somewhere on this board is a recipe for making starch from scratch. That's what my mom did when I was a kid. Basically just corn starch and water.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Traditional View Post
Joann fabric has freezer paper on line for 8.99 for 30 sheets 8 1/2 x 11. I prefer to buy it in sheets what you find at the grocery store is on a roll and doesn't work as well for quilting. It's great if you do applique.
You are paying 30 cents for a copy paper size of freezer paper?????????????
Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
LOL, they stop making freezer paper when we quit eating meat!

As above, there's lots of sources for buying freezer paper .............. maybe you don't but many of us still eat meat!