Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
freezer paper quilting >

freezer paper quilting

freezer paper quilting

Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/?action=view¤t=b727.jpg
this quilt pattern was on freezer paper. i sewed fabrics onto it in sections, then sewed the sections together. no problem with my needle either. just a bit stiffer to move around than nice transparent paper.
Oh I just love that quilt!!! Very Beautiful Roses! I'm jealous!!! You did a wonderful job on that quilt.
I'm still getting up the nerve to try paper piecing. I have a project to start but am afraid to fail at it, LOL!!! I think I need someone to sit with me to show me the correct way the first time. That way no frustration issues...

:XD:
Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I learned a different method of freezer paper pieceing where you leave the paper whole and just fold it back and sew right along the fold.
I hate cutting out all the little tiny pieces so the fold and sew is my preference also. I was putting a little dab of glue on regular paper while paper piecing and folding on the line before I even heard of the freezer paper piecing. Much better than using the glue on regular paper.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

thanks, wish i had the quilt. i made it for a co-worker. i do still have the full page pattern. i could make another one day but would have to trace the pp template page(s).

i was in a sunbonnet sue swap for 6 inch blks and they were paper pieced. i couldn't do it, so i traced the tiny pieces and laid them on fabric and cut and sewed the old fashioned way. even her ribbon on her bonnet.
so where there is a will, there's a way.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rrent=8287.jpg
Old 08-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Very pretty! When you say sewed the old fashioned way do you mean by hand or on a treadle?
Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ada Shiela
I thought freezer paper was used for making templates and tissue or special paper piecing product (Carol Doak & others recommend) is used for paper piecing - surely freezer paper would leave residue on needles if sewn into!!
Thanks for info on freezer paper for paper piecing, please note that I did say "If sewn into" could leave residue on needles, obviously only guessing but I was concerned about thickness of freezer paper too, so your wisdom through trial is worth having :D I have only recently tried Carol Doak's paper piecing by machine.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:30 PM

I have found that using freezer paper for regular paper piecing is doable (do-able? Neither word looks right. Sorry.) but I have to shorten my stitch length a lot more. So instead of using a 1.5 stitch length like I normally would with any other papers, I needed to use a 1.0 to get it to perforate without stretching the seams too much.

I like using the freezer paper (to iron onto the signature area) for stabilizing anywhere I need to write. I know a lot of people swear by tape or sandpaper behind their work but I find this works best for me.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

I actually use an old needle to run along the PP pattern lines. This perforates the freezer paper and makes it easier to fold back the paper. I also use the zipper foot and sew ALONG the folded line (not through the freezer paper). Then I fold down the segment, press it to the fabric and sew along the next fold. Works like a charm.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

ha,ha. not that old fashioned, sorry. just meant sewed by machine without any paper. just regular piecing method.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM

Oh ok, LOL!!! It's all good, No need to be sorry. Sometimes you just never know how someone sews. It could happen..... Right? :roll:
:XD: