Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: freezer paper quilting

Banned
    There seems to be some confusion about paper piecing. One is using a paper foundation to sew on. The other is using freezer paper templates. I would like to know more about using freezer paper templates. Not for applique, but for piecing.............

Blog Entries
    Georgia Bonesteel has books out on that method of using freezer paper.

Freezer paper is used for templates as in her method, as well as a fold and sew PP method where you fold freezer paper foundations along each seam line and sew beside it :wink:

I thought freezer paper was used for making templates and tissue or special paper piecing product (Carol Doak & others recommend) is used for paper piecing - surely freezer paper would leave residue on needles if sewn into!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ada Shiela
    I thought freezer paper was used for making templates and tissue or special paper piecing product (Carol Doak & others recommend) is used for paper piecing - surely freezer paper would leave residue on needles if sewn into!!
    I've never notice residue on my needle and I use freezer paper alot for applique. I've heard of using if for pp, just haven't tried it yet. There are so many different ways to pp that I forget the latest until I am finished with my pp.

Interesting. I never thought of freezer paper for PP.

Blog Entries
    This explains it quite well, I would love to give it a go one day

http://dquilts.blogspot.com/2007/04/...per-piece.html

Blog Entries
    freezer paper DOES NOT LEAVE ANY RESIDUE ON YOUR FABRICS, NEEDLES OR ANYWHERE ELSE. The plastic coating will 'stick' to fabric (or other surface it is adhered to) but peels off without leaving any residue behind.
    and usually when using it for piecing you do not actually stitch through the paper, you stitch beside it. your freezer paper is actual size, the seam allowance is added to the fabric so you can stitch beside the paper.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Way cool, having been a "Fish monger" for 12 years I saved up end pieces of freezer paper for inexpensive painting palet. Now I have another use for all that paper I saved. By the way, the paper will not gum up your needles because it is not sticky until you heat it up to press your fabric. After it cools it goes back to its original texture and will stay stuck to the fabric until you pull it away.
    Great idea and thank you for sharing it.
    :-D

Blog Entries
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rrent=b727.jpg
    this quilt pattern was on freezer paper. i sewed fabrics onto it in sections, then sewed the sections together. no problem with my needle either. just a bit stiffer to move around than nice transparent paper.

I learned a different method of freezer paper pieceing where you leave the paper whole and just fold it back and sew right along the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/?action=viewt=b727.jpg
    this quilt pattern was on freezer paper. i sewed fabrics onto it in sections, then sewed the sections together. no problem with my needle either. just a bit stiffer to move around than nice transparent paper.
    Oh I just love that quilt!!! Very Beautiful Roses! I'm jealous!!! You did a wonderful job on that quilt.
    I'm still getting up the nerve to try paper piecing. I have a project to start but am afraid to fail at it, LOL!!! I think I need someone to sit with me to show me the correct way the first time. That way no frustration issues...

:XD:

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I learned a different method of freezer paper pieceing where you leave the paper whole and just fold it back and sew right along the fold.
    I hate cutting out all the little tiny pieces so the fold and sew is my preference also. I was putting a little dab of glue on regular paper while paper piecing and folding on the line before I even heard of the freezer paper piecing. Much better than using the glue on regular paper.

Blog Entries
    thanks, wish i had the quilt. i made it for a co-worker. i do still have the full page pattern. i could make another one day but would have to trace the pp template page(s).

i was in a sunbonnet sue swap for 6 inch blks and they were paper pieced. i couldn't do it, so i traced the tiny pieces and laid them on fabric and cut and sewed the old fashioned way. even her ribbon on her bonnet.
    so where there is a will, there's a way.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rrent=8287.jpg

Very pretty! When you say sewed the old fashioned way do you mean by hand or on a treadle?

Quote Originally Posted by Ada Shiela
    Thanks for info on freezer paper for paper piecing, please note that I did say "If sewn into" could leave residue on needles, obviously only guessing but I was concerned about thickness of freezer paper too, so your wisdom through trial is worth having :D I have only recently tried Carol Doak's paper piecing by machine.

I have found that using freezer paper for regular paper piecing is doable (do-able? Neither word looks right. Sorry.) but I have to shorten my stitch length a lot more. So instead of using a 1.5 stitch length like I normally would with any other papers, I needed to use a 1.0 to get it to perforate without stretching the seams too much.

I like using the freezer paper (to iron onto the signature area) for stabilizing anywhere I need to write. I know a lot of people swear by tape or sandpaper behind their work but I find this works best for me.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I actually use an old needle to run along the PP pattern lines. This perforates the freezer paper and makes it easier to fold back the paper. I also use the zipper foot and sew ALONG the folded line (not through the freezer paper). Then I fold down the segment, press it to the fabric and sew along the next fold. Works like a charm.

Blog Entries
    ha,ha. not that old fashioned, sorry. just meant sewed by machine without any paper. just regular piecing method.

Oh ok, LOL!!! It's all good, No need to be sorry. Sometimes you just never know how someone sews. It could happen..... Right? :roll:
    :XD: