Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frozen in Limbo >

Frozen in Limbo

Frozen in Limbo

Old 02-17-2014, 06:07 AM

Can we please see a picture or even just the name of the pattern? Believe me, I know your frustration.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I have repressed seams and sewn again along the seam to make a wider seam allowance. It works really well and is much easier than other options. Just be sure to press and measure after you do the first one or two -- ensuring that you are getting exactly the result you need -- before doing them all.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:56 AM

Silver Needle, just checked to see where you live as I'm in Carroll, IA west of you on SR 30. Its a couple hours away from you but if you'd like some help, come on over and I'll see what we can do together. I've done one Jinny Beyer pattern, the Crystal Star, all paper pieced. I thought all of her patterns were paper pieced but I guess not. First thing, stop, sit down and take a deep breathe, walk away from the project and come back a little later. Sometimes just walking away from it clears your head. Someone mentioned going to your local quilt shop for help, that's another idea as they would be closer to you than me. Just remember nothing is impossible, just may take a bit longer than you expected.........:-)
Old 02-18-2014, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I have already pressed the seams the way the pattern describes. But this isn't a bad idea. I guess I could unrpress the seams and more or less start over using my Bernina 880 with the differential feed I wouldn't need pins and it shouldn't take that long to redo everything. I would feel more confident with the quality of the 1/4" all the same. I have had it with this scant 1/4" business. If it says 1/4" seam I'm stitching a 1/4" seam. If the project turns out a hair smaller So What!!!
Exactly, if it turns out a hair smaller, so what! You have got it exactly. And if you are worrying about the block being square, just cut it square, block by block. If it ends up looking a bit different than the pattern, so what. YOur grandson will not notice, and no one else will either. We are our worse critics. Everyone else thinks what we do is amazing, and all we see are the mistakes.

What is the name of the pattern, if you can't get a picture on here. That will help us help you. We can help, even from afar.

Dina
Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 AM

What a lot of anguish! Does the boy even remember the pattern he chose? If you have the colors that he wanted, would he even know or care if there ended up to be some variation? He will appreciate that it is something you have made for him, and that is the important thing.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:07 AM

Most patterns say something like 'square all pieces to x inches' or 'finished blocks are 6"' that means to square it up to that measurement, the current pattern I'm doing is large block (14 1/2") and few of them have been Exactly 14 1/2", square up All four sides equally and they will be fine.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 PM

I'm not clear on what's going on without a picture, but most of the time not a lot hinges on the size of your blocks as long as you are consistent and can square them up as needed. Your quilt might turn out bigger, but if the seams aren't so skimpy as to cause them to pop open, you probably don't have to obsess about it. If you have quilt police in your family, let them make the quilt.

Editing to add: Done is better than the most perfect UFO.

Last edited by Rose_P; 02-18-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:11 PM

I'm really curious about this quilt. Please tell us what the pattern is and post pics if possible.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by WilliP View Post
Honey, take yourself and your $300 project to your very friendly local quilt shop and have a getting to know you show and tell. They should be able to help you. Been there, done that too many times to mention --including the baby quilt I am almost finished with that I should've taken the time to consult and would've had I t on the frame instead of manhandling Minkee on my Bernina 380. LOL Hugs. This too shall pass and you will live to do another graduation quilt for another relative. Bless the boy's heart, he has faith in your abilities!
I agree. Make friends with your LQS. They should be able to get you fixed and quilting again. I have seen many of her quilts but NEVER have a seen a single one that I would classified for a beginner. I was asked by a rep of RJR to piece a broken star for the president of RJR. He wanted me to make it all from their fabric but it wouldn't work. It was one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever pieces in lavender, yellow and green. Camera had dead batteries so no photo.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:33 PM

I did the moon glow but it was paper piece . I would recommend that you be very careful when you rip out seems. Her fabric are beautiful but because of all the dies that go into them they are tend to fray. There was lots of extra fabric in the kit I had. It is my favourite quilt. I spent so much money on it I won't be giving it away. I added extra borders and backed it with her fabric. By time it was guilted and everything cost me about 700.00 dollars. I bought the fabric in Canada which was why it cost so much.