Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrated in Arkansas >

Frustrated in Arkansas

Frustrated in Arkansas

Old 08-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
My machine just does not like cotton thread. She is a prissy. She only likes the Glide. I put some on, made a couple of minor adjustments and she is quilting like a dream. Go figure! My dealer says she will buy all of my cotton thread back because that is what her machine likes. I was sure glad about that. No need to have it here if I can't use it. Now, what to do with some of my other "I don't ever use things". Thank you all for all the suggestions. I watched the videos and they didn't really help me cause I don't have the magna bobbins. Couldn't keep my bobbin in long enough to do the test. I guess what works for one doesn't always work for the other. I would have to buy a tempermental machine.
I am so glad it is working for you now!!

Dina
Old 08-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Glad it is working but I wouldn't like it if I couldn't use cotton thread. I know the other is fine but somestimes a quilt really needs a cotton or the color I want (especially variagated) is only available in cotton.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I am glad you found thread that she likes! I sympathized yesterday but don't have a LA so I didn't want to post if I couldn't give helpful advice.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Leesa, I don't know if this will work for your LA but I have had to take a length of yarn and run it back and forth to clean out the track for my thread. My DN had a repair shop for years and this is what he did to reset the tension so it would calabrate properly. He says the lint build up can cause unadjustable tension problems. It may not take care of your tension but it is a cheap try.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:35 AM

I agree with the rest of the posters, Jamie Wallen's video is what turned my tension issues around for my Queen Quilter (Tin Lizzie). The video is not for pre-wound bobbins, but ones that you wind yourself & is not specific to any one machine. I did switch over to Glide thread & the magna-glide prewounds & my tension issues disappeared. Can't beat the price either. The TNT video is great too. Glad you solved the issue. Sometimes our machines just decide to be finicky sometimes & straighten themselves out. Go figure!!
Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 AM

This is a REALLY long shot, but it happened to me. I ordered a new batch of needles and was sent the wrong ones for my Gammill. The needles I received were just a hair, and I mean a tiny, tiny bit, shorter than the right needles. They caused me more 'tension' trouble than a bad MIL for weeks. Only when I dug out one of my old needles, at my husband's suggestion, and compared them under a magnifying glass did I discover the culprit. Bingo! You're not working with a new batch of needles by any chance?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:58 AM

I watched the video and it has helped me. But, when I changed my thread is really what worked. Come to think of it, it never really did like cotton thread. Tempermental machine!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
If I were you I would completely get off all cotton threads to eliminate the lint issue. Switch to polyesters, at least until you are confident in all aspects of your machine.
You are welcome.

However there is no such thing as "my machine doesn't like...."

I urge you to educate yourself on threads. Superiorthreads.com has so much information. You should not limit yourself to any particular thread. I only suggested switching over to polyester UNTIL you learn all the ins and outs of your machine. At some point you will want to try different threads for different looks or you will get a client that absolutely does not want anything but cotton. Feel free to turn that client away or learn your machine better so you know what tweaks you need to do to utilize ANY thread. And use only good extra long staple cotton (less lint) when you do use it.

IMHO saying "my machine doesn't like..." is a cop out. Your machine doesn't know the difference.

Also Jamie Wallens video is not related to magnaglide bobbins. In fact his test doesn't work real well with a magnaglide because the magnet is causing a touch of resistance so you won't get the thread to come smoothly and easily out of the bobbin like he shows. There will be a touch of jerkiness to it as the magnet tries to grab.

There is no reason you can't perform the tests he does with a standard bobbin. The bobbin shouldn't be falling out of the bobbin case if you are just lifting it up off the palm of your hand by the thread. And it definitely won't come out when you lay it flat on your palm bobbin facing up. When the case is laying flat on your palm and you pull the thread how is the bobbin falling out, it can't possibly fall out. Is the thread coming smooth and easy and the bobbin turning and does the case stay put in the palm of your hand without moving? Not sure why you thought Jamie Wallen's video was only for magnaglide bobbins. It is not.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 AM

What kind of machine do you have.Mine is a Gammill.When loops happen,The check spring is the problem.When the needle goes down into the bobbin case,the thread has slack.The hook on the check spring takes out the slack as the rotary hook picks up the thread.So if the check spring is bad it doesn't take up the slack and you get loops.I don't know about why going backward.But that is my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:17 PM

I know how you feel. Search for a group online that has your brand of machine. I have a Tin Lizzie and the group I found has a magic lady that can solve almost any problem.