Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I had to quit looking at the Pictures Section

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

I had to quit looking at the Pictures Section

The Pictures Section is my favorite section, but I had to quit looking there. I decided not to buy anymore fabric except backing and when I look at everyone's quilts, I usually end up asking what fabric line their quilt was made from and automatically buy lots of that fabric. So, sadly, I can't go to Pictures. I've done well so far. I only bought fabric for a baby quilt for my pregnant niece. Usually I'm getting packages in the mail daily. But I miss everyone's pictures. Anyone else have this problem? :-(
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I quit looking for two reasons:
    1. Even the "my first quilt" were better than mine!
    2. I can't load my own pictures onto this site. I know, I'm so computer illiterate. I can do it on other sites but not here.

Blog Entries
    Hi Jeanne! I have been on a fabric diet for a year now and have only stumbled a couple of times. I still go to the pictures section because I love to see what beauties everyone is making. I have, however, quit downloading patterns. I have so many quilts planned in my head there just isn't room for anymore! If I stumble across a quilt pattern that I really like, I just pin it to my Pinterest board. I've also given myself permission to NOT finish everything I start. I never make the same quilt pattern twice so each new project is trying a new block or technique. If I find it too difficult or I just don't like it, I don't force myself to finish it. I keep all the fabric for the project with the unfinished top because who knows, I might decide later down the road to finish it. So many quilts, so little time to work on something that doesn't make me happy! I have also started just making quilt tops (flimsy). Piecing is what makes me happy, following the quilt to completion- not so much! But if I needed a finished quilt quickly, I can throw one together pretty quickly from my flimsy stash!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Power Poster
    If the computer requires me to do more than just click on a tab, I am lost. I cannot load pictures from my computer to QB. I can load directly from pictures taken with my iPad because you just click on the little tree and then follow the prompts. I am trying to finish UFO's this year and only buying fabric to complete them.

I have cut back on my fabric buying for the last year. I did that by staying away from fabric stores, unless I need something to finish a project or on vacation. I have a good stash, so don't need much.
    Tartan, can you please PM me, so I can find the little tree icon. I need to learn how to download my pics from my I-pad. I keep looking for the tree icon, but can never find it. Thank-you.

I'm not Tartan but, the Tree icon is the 3rd from the right at the top of the 'quick reply' box.

PICTURES is the first place I look when I get into the QB!! I've cut back considereably on the fabric buying but it's the printing of the patterns and pretty pictures of quilts I need to work on. My binders are piling up! I can't do pictures and I don't know how to save to the computer, so that's the price I pay. So I will continue to get inspiration from all of the talented quilters on this board.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I know what you mean about the pictures, but it is the first place I go. Trying to stay strong and just enjoying everyone else's work. So beautiful.

Blog Entries
    I try and have my morning coffee with the pictures from the QB. I get a lot of inspiration for my quilts from here - it helps me to use up the fabric I already have. "Resistance is futile" according to the Borg and that about sums it up for me
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

I'm not one to look at pictures..... guilty!! I'm sure they are wonderful but I just look at Main, Vintage and UFO challenge mostly. If I spend too much time on the computer, I don't spend as much time sewing. That's a problem when I need to get things done.

But, I think I'll check out the pictures this morning.......

Blog Entries
    I check every picture unless the title is something I know doesn't interest me. It has helped me decide what kind of quilter I am. I love to see the complicated ones, but prefer to make the simpler ones and I've come to accept that.

happylab, I'm not Tartan either, but if you don't have the tolbar with the tree, try
    Go to 'Forum Actions' in the aqua bar near the top of this page
    Choose 'General Settings'
    Scroll down and choose 'Enhanced Full WYSINYG'
    Save That should take care of it.

GailG, I can't always save pictures directly to my computer since my GD changed my browser, but I can right click on the picture, send it to Microsoft Word and then save it from there. A bother, but it works.

I like to look at all the photos, just to see what other people are doing. I tend not to buy fabric lines anyway so not a problem there. I am trying to get inspiration to use up the massive stash I already possess. I am also on a fabric diet and am doing pretty well, only buy fabric if I run out of a particular one. I am even trying to piece backs to avoid buying yardage for that.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Not look at photos -- it would RUIN my day -- it's 6:15AM and I've already looked at the new group. Will check again this evening. Am (very) guilty of printing photos out and have a whole stack of these. They help me immensely with fabric and color choices when actually stepping away from the computer and working on a quilt! Is my stash bigger than it should be -- a little more so that two years ago, but buy sparingly now -- have a good base to work from. In addition. working one day/week at the fabric store has actually helped me to buy less -- the realization that what you "have to have" today is almost always repeated tomorrow, and the day after. My choices of what to do with my fabric have grown with what everyone else did with theirs!

My plan -- to spend as much time in the quilting process as spent on the QB every day! Another goal -- learn to post pictures of my stuff!

I love looking at the pictures, but must admit I am very intimidated (sp) by what I see. These people have way more talent than I will ever hope to have..but I keep trying!! LOL
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    2. I can't load my own pictures onto this site. I know, I'm so computer illiterate. I can do it on other sites but not here.
    Me too! By the way, what happened to the thumbs up sign we used to use?

Blog Entries
    I look at the pictures some days. I too am on a fabric diet. I rarely buy backing for my quilts either. There is way too much fabric in my sewing studio. I piece my backs from what I have to use up some of my stash. I just finished a twin sized top for my GS. I found 5 pieces of white Kona to use in it. I needed one more 1 1/2 inch strip to finish. I bought one FQ of the white and 1 yard of blue solid kona to make the entire quilt.
    I have been trying to only buy what I need for my current project. Nothing for future projects because they often don't ever get made.
    Good Luck with your fabric diet!

The pictures section is my favorite and not to be missed. I draw all kinds of inspiration from all of you. It is the best quilt show without an entrance fee. I have tried to cut back on fabric purchases also, but use your ideas for putting my own twist on a pattern, with what I have on hand. I still buy fabric, but have so many projects standing in line, I try to buy only to finish a project (borders, one color to pop, etc.)

Yes, I look at the pictures section first and marvel at all the beautiful quilts our group makes. I don't have the urge to run out and purchase the material, but I do look high and low for all the wonderful patterns!!! I now have so many ideas of quilts I want to make that I don't know where to start! If I never looked at another magazine (another place that overloads me with ideas) again I would have enough patterns to quilt for the rest of my life. Ah, but I still need to admire everyone's works as they are all so individual and beautiful. Thanks everyone for sharing!

My Go-To are the Pictures. Best part about this board. It's quite inspiring.....

Power Poster
    I still love to look at the quilts posted on the Board for inspiration and new ideas. I have been on a fabric diet for some time, partly because of lack of funds and partly because I've spent about 10 months out of the last 18 months not being able to quilt at all, due to surgeries and rehab. I'm getting very cranky, but looking at the beautiful quilts helps me.

I love looking at everyone's quilts, admiring their creativity, patterns, and color combinations. I have really done well at not buying fabric for a number of months, then I decided to make quilts for all my grandchildren, nieces and nephews and a comfort quilt for a dear friend who is scheduled for surgery for cancer, chemo, radiation, etc. I have purchased quite a bit of fabric for those.
    Everyone has their own talent. I haven't seen one quilt on this board that I couldn't compliment. We are too hard on ourselves sometimes. I'll bet each of you makes wonderful quilts well deserving of compliments.

Blog Entries

Attaching pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    to post pics on this site: download your pictures and put them on your desktop, reply to a thread or start a new subject, scroll to the bottom to post pics, click on manage attachments, under upload files from computer, click on upload files from computer, double click on your picture file from your desktop, THEN
    click on UPLOAD, then your files will show up as an attachment just below "Manage Attachments", it has to show up there or it's not attached.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
    I'm not Tartan but, the Tree icon is the 3rd from the right at the top of the 'quick reply' box.
    On my Mac the Quick Reply box has no icons, none in the right corner or anywhere else! Guess this is what's making it impossible for me to post pictures. And here I thought I was just DUMB as a sack of rocks! LOL!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

My favorite place to go is Pictures, doesn't get me to buy fabric but I ALWAYS need to get the pattern because it will be my next quilt. I will probably have to live to be 150 to finish all the patterns I have gotten because of the Pictures thread!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    So, I must be the only one who, when looking at pictures, can't resist the fabrics and have to purchase them. I wish I weren't that way. I have way too much fabric as it is, but it doesn't stop me. I haven't been to pictures in a month. I miss it terribly and I don't know if I'll last more than a day longer. But, I really can't afford to spend any more money on fabric, so maybe I can look at pictures. In fact, I think I'll glance at them right now. I didn't realize how many people looked at pictures. It sounds like 90% of us all look at pictures.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast