Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrated with my quilting pattern on my long arm >

Frustrated with my quilting pattern on my long arm

Frustrated with my quilting pattern on my long arm

Old 09-07-2013, 06:47 PM

Default Frustrated with my quilting pattern on my long arm

I'm rather a rookie at using my long arm and unhappy with my latest effort. I made a pieced Celtic knot quilt--very manly colors--that I really want to do a nice job on. Have found a stencil design for the open areas, know what I will FMQ for the background, but the "knot" pieces--about 2" wide are challenging me! I tried a scallopey/weave---but the corners (which there a lot in the knot pattern) resulted in it looking choppy. I also tried using my rulers to do a braid design that would go from edge to edge on those pieces--again, my skills aren't up to the twists and turns and it looked very messy.(and I "unsewed" about 18" 3 times ) So then I tried just doing 1/4" in from the edges--where I am now, but I just haven't "held" the distances cause the pieces on a diagonal are a little narrower than the other blocks. So it's back to the white board to try some other ideas--just so frustrated cause what I envisioned I just can't get to work. Like a friend recently told me--practice,practice,practice! Just wish there were some short cuts!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:15 PM

Sometimes, when what I want to do isn't in my skills-accomplished box, I put the project aside until I'm more experienced. This is a long way of saying practice.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:52 AM
Power Poster

there are no short cuts to 'practice'. maybe you would be better off unloading your quilt, load up some practice fabric (muslin works nicely- so you can see your stitches) perhaps draw some of your quilt blocks onto the practice piece- then try out different designs until you find the design you like, want to do. that sure beats having to take out quilting stitches over & over. good luck
Old 09-08-2013, 02:38 AM

Not knowing about your block sizes or how intricate your pattern is - have you considered just leaving the "knot" unquilted and just quilting in the background?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I agree that there are no shortcuts, I've had my LA for a couple years and still need LOTS more practice. I have, however, found that using a small ruler works well for echo stitching. You use the ruler to steady the machine. Look up long arm applique rulers. There are lots out there.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

If you want to do straight line stitching in the knot, you can use your walking foot. Yes, it will mean a lot of turning the quilt but if you have stabilized the sandwich with some stitching lines, it should be do-able.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

So sorry, your friend is right, practice practice practice.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=Tartan;6280545]If you want to do straight line stitching in the knot, you can use your walking foot. Yes, it will mean a lot of turning the quilt but if you have stabilized the sandwich with some stitching lines, it should be do-able.[/QUOTE sorry for not reading your post closer. I thought you meant on a regular machine. Obviously you cannot turn your work on a long arm!! I think a long arm ruler with a straight edge might help.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 AM

I am in the "practice, practice, practice" camp. You will improve over time, just be patient and don't put so much pressure on yourself. If you want that particular piece to be really good, then put it aside and work on other things.