Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrated! >

Frustrated!

Frustrated!

Old 08-18-2014, 04:15 AM

Well, Kelley, It sounds like you are getting some good advice. I do both machine quilting and hand quilting but hand quilting takes me a long time to get a quilt done. For hand quilting I use a quilting frame but I have HQ on a hoop and without anything. I think everyone has their own method that works for them.

I thought I'd mention a thought about the creases you get when machine quilting. I had that problem also. I tried everything anyone would suggest but never had any luck machine quilting without those awful tucks. My fancy $$$$ Viking would always be a problem no matter how I sandwiched the layers or which $$$$ walking foot I used. Then, I bought a vintage Singer 15-91. People over on the vintage site talked about how nicely the 15-91 quilts. I found a machine at an auction for $10, cleaned it up, had to replace the bobbin case and cord (cost around $12) and the machine was set to go. I couldn't believe how nicely the vintage machine quilted. .... not a single tuck. Now it's the only machine I use for FMQ and I've quilted some pretty large quilts on it. The latest one was queen sized.... not a single tuck. So, maybe the problems you're having are from the machine you are using and not your method.

I don't see where you are located but I'm sure there are hand quilters that would be willing to give you some lessons if you want to go that route. But don't abandon your search for a machine that will do a good job for you as well.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I found the class I took at my LQS really helped me with selection of needles and thimble. Yes, Practice makes perfect just like FMQ.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
I understand the allure of hand quilting, but let me ask a question. You spoke of the creases (or puckers) when you machine quilt. How are you basting your quilt? Many people have switched to glue basting due to the ease and are finding that it helps with the puckers. By the way, glue basting isn't for hand quilting, just for machine quilting.

Tate
I just finished my first glue basted quilt and I am completely sold on the method. Not one crease on the back!

Cheers, K
Old 08-18-2014, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Batting is another consideration. I find Warm and Natural batting extremely difficult to get tiny stitches and is not much fun to needle. The batting fights the needle. I have had much better luck with other battings. You may wish to experiment with different battings to find one you really like for hand quilting.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:02 AM

Admire you wanting to tackle hand quilting!

Relative to your walking foot problem, the only thing I can suggest is to maybe dial back the pressure on your presser foot. If it's too much, it could be causing the puckers even with the walking foot.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

When you machine quilted, did you starch the top and backing before layering? Several layers of spray starch on the top and heavy starching of the backing, combined with either spray basting or glue basting, tends to eliminate the problem of sewing in tucks and puckers while quilting.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:41 AM

I have hand quilted several quilts and I don't think I will ever go back. It take soooo much time and it hurts my fingers, let alone if someone were to look at my stitches I am sure they were horrible. I know the pleating in the back can be very very frustrating. I have picked some out of my own.. I find I have the best luck if I spray baste and pin the layers together. Sometimes I think I must flip and flop my quilts around a lot more than others, so I take extra precautions. Honestly, I don't use my walking foot most of the times. I have used it, but I am just used to not using it. Good Luck
Old 08-18-2014, 07:47 AM

Spray basting (not glue basting)works well for me for hand quilting. That may help.

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
I understand the allure of hand quilting, but let me ask a question. You spoke of the creases (or puckers) when you machine quilt. How are you basting your quilt? Many people have switched to glue basting due to the ease and are finding that it helps with the puckers. By the way, glue basting isn't for hand quilting, just for machine quilting.

Tate
Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I can get fairly even stitches - but I don't think I will EVER get tiny stitches. And I have decided that I am not going to worry about it!!!

I find that I can go "better" sewing just one stitch at a time - and using a shorter length of thread!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:49 AM

Baste or lightly glue your layers together and try quilting without a hoop. I had much better luck with being able to manipulate the fabric while quilting than I did with the hoop. Try a large (flour sack size) swatch and see if that works for you.