Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Frustrations

Blog Entries
    I would do the quilts all myself to keep DH out of my quilting room. I don't want him to be my shadow every day all day. I don't mind if DH promises me to give something without asking first. He knows I won't blink an eye at buying the item ready made and say here it is all done. Bakeries, delis, and restaurants make very good pies, cakes, salads, potato salad, and entrees as much as you need. I can order a quilt ready made from Etsy if I don't want to make it for a deadline. One I bought and donated for an auction (I did not claim I made it) cost less then the fabric and time I would have put in it.
    Got fabric?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I would do the quilts all myself to keep DH out of my quilting room. I don't want him to be my shadow every day all day. I don't mind if DH promises me to give something without asking first. He knows I won't blink an eye at buying the item ready made and say here it is all done. Bakeries, delis, and restaurants make very good pies, cakes, salads, potato salad, and entrees as much as you need. I can order a quilt ready made from Etsy if I don't want to make it for a deadline. One I bought and donated for an auction (I did not claim I made it) cost less then the fabric and time I would have put in it.
    I agree. I had to make a baby quilt the next day and I don't quilt quilt. I piece. So I went to my LQS because I knew the LAQ sells some quilts there that she makes and quilts in her spare time and I bought a baby quilt for $30 and gave it to my niece the next day and everyone loved it and I never said one word that I made it. There was no way I could have made that and paid to have it quilted for $30. She sells lap quilts for $60. That's how much I pay her to quilt lap quilts! I think if I need something in a hurry, I might just use her again. She told me many quilters have bought her quilts!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Some people call tops that are pieced but not quilted flimsies.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

So glad to hear I'm not the only one that's got more projects on the "to do" list than time! I'm in this crowd too!!

Jeanine,
    you LAQ is cutting her prices to move those quilts out of her studio, but she's undervaluing her work. It irritates me to see the value of our quilts cut to less than the cost to make them.

I do the same thing AND my family (and extended family) never hesitates to volunteer my services either! I don't mind doing whatever they volunteer me for, but they do have to realize that there may well be an extended waiting period before it all gets done.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

It's a daily battle here, always finding a new pattern that I want to make now, your not alone sweetie!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by quiltqueen61; 05-03-2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    You are not alone!! Please join the crowd! We could form a club.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

No you're not the only one, but I have learned about making promises, and I try not to overload myself. I don't like being stressed about something that I do for enjoyment.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

You are not the only quilter here to overload herself. I suspect that the majority of us have multiple projects sitting waiting to be completed. Our creative minds just keep jumping to try out new patterns, techniques and projects for charity.

I was packing for a quilt retreat and found two quilt tops from last summer that I had completely forgotten about. Oh, well is guess this summer will be a little more of a catch up time on UFOs but then there is that baby quilt for a niece, a beautiful set of blocks that were given to me, a mystery quilt for the guild, the guild group quilt, my grandson's Christmas quilt and two quilts for boys and one for a near-son-in-law ....... See you are not alone! Oh and one more, a quilt for a friend who is returning to Brazil. Yup, you have friends here. Tee-Hee!
    Last edited by WMUTeach; 05-03-2012 at 04:48 AM.

Like the rest of you, I find that I work better under stress, but reached an overload last week. My husband and I took the weekend off, loaded up the RV and went to the lake. I took books to read, CD's to listen to and flat refused to take any quilting and I did absolutely nothing all weekend except sleep. Slept 10 hours Friday night, got up at 10:00, went down for a nap at 2:00, then slept 10 hours on Saturday night. When we got home I felt somewhat recouped. Even skipped Bible study on Monday night and again slept 10 hours. Tuesday night worked in the yard along with hubby and now I can hardly walk. Have got to cut back on the "over-doing". Just not as young as I used to be. LOL

Blog Entries
    I USED to work on one quilt at a time. HA! That ended when I joined my first block exchange here. I finished one of those quilts, but I have another ready for quilting, plus enough blocks for 2 more. AND I have 3 tops and another quilt ready for quilting. What am I doing? I'm making another top which I plan to quilt before getting back to the others. It's for my DGD - and I hope to finish it and get it to her before she begins her finals at college in 2 weeks!

pal
    I think all Moms and Grandmoms overdo. That's what we do. And aren't we lucky that people still need us to do it.
    The older I get, and the more I see of other people's lives, the more I realize how lucky I am to be needed - to be asked to help with something.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

good grief yes. I have a mystery quilt to finish, a kit for a table topper and 4 others lined up. And I have only been a quilter a little over a year. What a fantastic addiction. But like I tell my kids...."It keeps me off the streets at night!" LOL

I am making quilt tops for my husband, children, grandchildren, and greatgrand children. 8 down and 8 to go.

Blog Entries
    Tell DH you could get more completed if you had a long-arm (or at least a mid-arm). Then he could learn to do that part and you'd have more time to do the flimies. LOL

I have probably a dozen tops done but can't do the quilting on my machine nor can I afford to send out to a long-armer. So anything new I've been making have been quilt-as-you-go and am getting more completed. But I still have that dozen with no completion dates in sight.

I'm hoping to buy a Tin Lizzie 18 in the next couple of years. They run around $6000 which is more affordable than some of the high-end long-arms. I'd love to buy a Babylock Jewel (so I could have local support) but they run around $10K.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    SWe feel your pain, everyday. I have a purple crazy quilt to finish, two to bind, a Marine Corps quilt to finish, and probably a couple of more. Oh yes, charity quilts to quilt. I picked up the needed material at Paducah, so there isn't any reason not to do it. My daughter is coming this weekend so nothing will get done now for sure. We have our priorities.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

I find something else to take on, like a new pattern when I really don't wanna do all the things that GOTTA get done.
    I think its a form of procrastination.

You are definitely not alone. It goes with the territory. Isn't that just being a quilter?! lol

I agree with your husband on the need to get the lap quilts to the people in rehab...
    The thought of having to drive 150 miles would upset me to no end.. I do appreciate the how close everything is where I am, and I go to a guy twenty miles away, bypassing three or four shops.. I'm wondering if you should by a machine online at overstocks or look for an old machine that you, or your husband can repair at home..

QM
    Well, one of "his" quilts has reached the flimsy stage (posted elsewhere). BTW, he read over my shoulder and said he had not PROMISED the quilts. He merely asked if they might want some. Lots of my UFOs are going to go to one charity or another. Typically, I have done quilts in categories: for family, for sale, for competition, for donation, for commission. Since I have a very firm local reputation, I'm sorta dropping out of competition and have ended the sale category. I quilt because it pleases me.

We now live in a mobile home. Before we moved, I kept hoping I could get a LA of my own with its own little house. Yesterday, While I was dealing with other issues, DH was drooling over a LA at the dealership. He said he would try to figure out how to make it work for us. I am too disabled to use the one that belongs to my guild.
    Last edited by QM; 05-03-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Oh no, I only work one thing at a time. I never get overwhelmed and I am never under the gun.....and apparently I lie a lot. lol

Did you agree to make the charity quilts? If so, those probably deserve to be in the top priority. The new pattern won't disappear. Why don't you leave that as a reward for having finished something?

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    I have something like 10 flimsies waiting for me to quilt them and a very large bunch of UFOs, not counting plans and WADs. DH is sorta breathing down my neck because he promised a stack of lap quilts to a local rehab hospital (not that I disagree with his intentions at all) Then last night I was playing around and came up with a new quilt pattern and I want to do it RIGHT NOW. Tell me I am not the only quilter here to overload herself.
    No, you are NOT alone! I have so many ideas & "to do RIGHT NOW" quilts floating around in my head that I'm finding it hard to get started (where to start?). Impulsive, Rebecca? Uh, yeah... kinda... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    You are not alone with your obsession. Just wish I knew the cure!
    YOU MEAN THERE'S A CURE!?! Oh, please, please, please tellme where to get it! Or, if you can;t do that, how about a site where I can order some time & the ability to actually focus on one thing at a time (I'm worse than my puppy dog with a butterfly!)!!!! LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

You are not alone with overloading yourself. Join the club and teach DH how to quilt for his promises. Sue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast